The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Not impressed with Barcelona. If Man City played them right now I am convinced Man City would beat them. 

They did last season of course.

Really not sure what to make of Barca. They're doing just enough to win La Liga games and as long as they don't mess up the two Clasico games the title is there for the taking. Think it will be more of the same in the CL unless Messi can be a bit more influential in the knockouts than in last few years.

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

Valencia have been good but for me the overall standard of La Liga has been as poor as I can remember it. 

I was going to write something about this. My other half sometimes watches strictly / X factor in the bedroom on a Saturday night and I’ll watch a La Liga game down stairs, the games are so **** boring it’s untrue. They are played at an odd tempo because the games are generally so mis-matched. 

I know the premier league is far from the best QUALITY in the world week in week out but generally the games are interesting, exciting and the crowd are engaged and excited. La Liga is more often than not none of those things.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else think that Ronaldo has finally lost it. At the beginning of the season we all thought that Real Madrid had the best squad and in many positions they probably do. But up front, an ageing Ronaldo, Benzema who is really hopeless now and Bale who is always injured. I'm amazed they let Morata go. 

Edited by PaulC

Benzema is the problem for me, his record is poor for a Real Madrid striker. They should have moved him off and kept Higuain who had a better scoring record and would have won more titles if he was kept on and Benzema let go. But he is Florentino favourite is the only reason he has been kept

• Like 1

Ronaldo one of 5 players in La Liga to yet record a single tackle or interception this season.

The other 4 are goalkeepers...

Ronaldo and Benzema have combined for a grand total of 2 goals in the league so far.

Thought Ronaldo was declining last season but he came back so strongly after xmas particularly in the CL.

Will probably have to be Real Madrid's priority again now. League is pretty much lost. Wierd thing is I don't think this Barca team is even that great compared to some of their teams they've had in last 20 years, just very efficient.

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

Benzema is the problem for me, his record is poor for a Real Madrid striker. They should have moved him off and kept Higuain who had a better scoring record and would have won more titles if he was kept on and Benzema let go. But he is Florentino favourite is the only reason he has been kept

Benzema is an absolute mug finisher, misses loads of sitters but luckily plays in a team where another chance handed to him on a plate is only around the corner. See also Cavani.

Benzema is Florentino Perez's favourite player or something (well after his latest Galactico fetish) so that's why he's been there 8 years. I agree he's not the most clincial but his link up play has been quite good and creates space/chances for Ronaldo.

14 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Thought Ronaldo was declining last season but he came back so strongly after xmas particularly in the CL.

Will probably have to be Real Madrid's priority again now. League is pretty much lost. Wierd thing is I don't think this Barca team is even that great compared to some of their teams they've had in last 20 years, just very efficient.

Yes I keep writing him off but some telling signs of decline are allowing Juanfran, who is the same age to outrun him and the speed of controlling a ball and getting his shot off has visible slowed down. The second could just be form. But even Suarez who has been unfit and overweight at start of the season is getting more goals. I agree Barcelona are just functional. In fact La Liga looks very ordinary this year. Valencia the one bright light. Bakumbu is scoring goals for Villareal though

Just as everyone in the world expected Leo Messi has signed a new contract with Barcelona extending his stay to 2021.

After him and his agent have done the usual "he might move to City" dance they have now gotten the contract they wanted, sure to include a nice pay hike and Barca to handle his legal troubles and a release clause at £680m.

• Like 1

Â