The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

• 3 weeks later...

What a fall from grace it's becoming for "Mes que un Club". Not even their truly fantastic academy is what it seemed apparently.

60 witnesses report former La Masia director Albert Benaiges for sexual harrassment

According to Diari ARA, as many as 60 witnesses have reported former La Masia director Albert Benaiges for sexual harassment.

La Masia is Barcelona's famed Academy and has produced many great talents over the years - including Lionel Messi.

However, the report claims that Benaiges exploited kids coming through the system over the 80s and the 90s while the club 'had no idea'.

They also claim this is why Benaiges left the Catalan giants earlier this year.

https://tribuna.com/en/news/football-2021-12-10-60-witnesses-report-former-la-masia-director-albert-benaiges-for-sexual-harrassment/

For all the stick Barcelona are rightfully getting Atletico Madrid are having almost as bad a season so far. Almost as they did manage to scrape through to the knock out stages of the CL on 7 points.

Not sure what excuse Atletico have other than perhaps title hangover. Guess they do have some injuries to the defense but who hasn't.

Such a shame that Sociedad have tanked but, yeah, looks like a Real Madrid procession to the title now. Will be interesting to see if Barcelona and Ath Madrid can make CL places - definitely not guaranteed by any stretch. 

20 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Such a shame that Sociedad have tanked but, yeah, looks like a Real Madrid procession to the title now. Will be interesting to see if Barcelona and Ath Madrid can make CL places - definitely not guaranteed by any stretch. 

Since I'm a casual Real Betis fan I fully expect them to implode during the second half of the season, would be fantastic if they managed to get into the CL but not counting on it.

Then again the last time they got into the CL they almost got relegated and steadily got worse until they did go down in 08/09 :D.

Getting to watch a Seville derby is one of my life goals. Utterly fantastic spectacles. 

Gotta spend money to make money I guess...

Barcelona members approve €1.5 billion Camp Nou revamp, expansion

Members voiced doubts about the financing for the 'Espai Barca' project -- which will come from third-party loan -- at the general assembly recently due to the fact the club's gross debt already stands at around €1.5bn.

That led president Joan Laporta to call Sunday's referendum, with the need to update an ageing stadium prevailing over the risk of taking on more debt to pay for the proposals.

Barca can now get started on regenerating Camp Nou and the surrounding area, with work expected to be finished in 2025. 

Ahead of the referendum, Laporta and his board of directors explained that the project is essential if the club want to keep up with Europe's other big clubs, the majority of whom play in brand new or recently revamped stadiums.

Laporta has also argued that the work will eventually pay for itself, with it leading to an increase in annual revenue, while he has also confirmed the club are in talks to sell the naming rights to the stadium.

play

https://www.espn.com/soccer/barcelona-espbarcelona/story/4552825/barcelona-members-approve-billion-euro-camp-nou-revampexpansion

• 4 weeks later...

Guess this is where to plop this recent discovery of mine: I didn’t realise how far from grave Ousmane Dembele has fallen. I think some footballers can just count luck being against them with injuries, but sounds like he’s been pretty lazy and inconsistent when he has played and now he’s demanding to be the top paid player or he’s out at the end of his contract, despite hardly ever being fit.

Bit bloody rich from a player who hasn’t even begun to repay their fee. This could of course all be bullshit but from the sounds the fans (who now hate him) and his agent are making it does seem to be what’s going on. Such a shame. What a player he was at Dortmund (although I’m generally starting to question how well success in Germany translates to other leagues). 

26 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Guess this is where to plop this recent discovery of mine: I didn’t realise how far from grave Ousmane Dembele has fallen. I think some footballers can just count luck being against them with injuries, but sounds like he’s been pretty lazy and inconsistent when he has played and now he’s demanding to be the top paid player or he’s out at the end of his contract, despite hardly ever being fit.

Bit bloody rich from a player who hasn’t even begun to repay their fee. This could of course all be bullshit but from the sounds the fans (who now hate him) and his agent are making it does seem to be what’s going on. Such a shame. What a player he was at Dortmund (although I’m generally starting to question how well success in Germany translates to other leagues). 

I was lucky enough to attend a Barcelona match on my honeymoon and Dembele scored this great solo effort... (sorry can't embed due to La Liga blocking it). Seems like he has gone off the rails in the past couple of seasons with immaturity or attitude issues.

Really bizarre looking back now that I was watching two future Villa players play (Coutinho & Digne).

Ok, enough humble bragging. Back to watching the A-League for me.

• Like 1

All Barca are missing is for Carles Puyol to make a comeback and they can rock the 2012 back 4 with Alves, Puyol, Pique, Alba.

Bet even at 43 Puyol would scare them into performing.

Real Madrid and Florentino Perez have looked to guarantee a new stream of cash flow for the next 25 years. According to a report from MARCA and with details cited from Voz Populi, US based company, Legends, an expert in sport and event based experiences, has guaranteed Real Madrid €400 million a year in return for 20% of the new Santiago Bernabeu profits. It is expected that the agreement is for all non-football related events and experiences at the soon to be remodeled stadium.

The deal will see Real Madrid bring in €250 million more on annual basis vs the figures they were bringing in from the Santiago Bernabeu in pre-pandemic environment. Legends has guaranteed the miscellaneous events will bring in €400 million a year, and if not, will pay Madrid the difference. The US based firm believes they can guarantee the figure because they expect profits far in excess of €400 million a year.

https://www.managingmadrid.com/2022/1/28/22905591/us-company-legends-agrees-to-pay-real-madrid-400-million-a-year-report

Â