ATM Error causes double cashback for 6 hours!!!!

kidlewis

If you were by the ATM would you take advantage of the banks mistake?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. If you were by the ATM would you take advantage of the banks mistake?

• Yup, Pays for the Villa
    • No, I would call Nationwide and inform them of the error

Would they be able to take the money back? It was their error

Unfortunately doesn't matter.

It's still stealing even if it's given to you.

When I worked in renting we had council tax continuously **** up and give us back money we apparently overpaid or something.. they'd always realise their error and then send a (bloody threatening considering it was their mistake!) letter to us saying we owe them and that they will be taking further action if it's not paid.

I'd take advantage... I am a very moral person but I admit I would... but I wouldn't spend it.. I'd hang on to it for a while... if a year down the line has passed and nothings been said, i'll assume all is good and go on holiday.

The cynic in me reckons that I could have shoved it on bets for the weekend knowing full well they would want their money back. After all, they can have their money back but if I get a bit extra out of it then we're all happy (and happy to lose knowing the risk).

People may not know this but its kinda related, there is a crime called theft by finding (or something similar), so if you find something it is not legally yours to keep. finders keepers is a playground myth. You are meant to hand it back to the rightful owner, this could be the bank in the case of bank cards etc, or simply hand the property in at a police station. After a set amount of time (6 months I think), if no-one has claimed the property you do have legal claim to it.

The reason I know this is because someone stole my phone once, he claimed in his defence he found it in the cab, he therefor got cautioned with the offence Theft by finding. The other stuff I know because I'm always handing lost property in at cop shops (I have 48 hours from finding it to either return it to the owner or hand it in at a police station), I''ve been offerd a few things back after the 6 months, none of which I wanted

as someone said anything under £100 I doubt they will bother chasing it. Purely because if the person says they cannot repay it back, they pass it onto companies that deal with debt collection. They will have their fee for taking on that case and I presume they will have a "minimum fee" of at least £25.

I would take advantage of the offer. I wouldn't go mad, I would draw out £30, get another £30 and that covers me for Chelsea at home.

The machine gave £60 every time it was asked for £30, but also gave away more cash in different multiples depending on the money requested.

The Nationwide said it appeared the employee of a firm they use to top up the machine had loaded the notes in the wrong way.

Sounds like a random mechanical fault to me, caused by the numpty who loaded the notes. I doubt there was any specific pattern to the amount of notes dispensed by the machine, and there is most likely no way the reporter could guarantee that the amounts were 'doubled', or the multiples of notes dispensed.

I suspect this may have been an issue with notes sticking together due to the incorrect loading of a cartridge and that there would be no 100% secure method to identify which customers walked away from the machine with which amounts extra to the amount they supposedly withdrew.

Obviously I was not there, but I doubt there would be any trace of the lost money. A straight denial of receipt of extra money would most likely be incontestable.

Would I have taken advantage? I would have gone for broke. **** the banks. And I'm a Nationwide customer.

Banks borrow £250bn then expect customers to pay back a few thousdan quid?

1] If they steal it, then yes they should pay it back Thieving bastards.

2] The Nationwide Building Society is not a bank.

Anyone who says the wouldn't take advantage of this is a liar.

I wouldnt. ****, you are putting your details into a computer. They know its you.

as someone said anything under £100 I doubt they will bother chasing it. Purely because if the person says they cannot repay it back, they pass it onto companies that deal with debt collection. They will have their fee for taking on that case and I presume they will have a "minimum fee" of at least £25.

I would take advantage of the offer. I wouldn't go mad, I would draw out £30, get another £30 and that covers me for Chelsea at home.

Most debt collectors work on getting a high percentage of the money recovered. Plus they can add on their extremely high fees.

We use them for council tax arrears - something like 25%. A bill of £100 can easily increase to £400 with a few letters and a visit.

And they are quite keen.

Whether the bank takes action will depend upon the amount. Proving the money was taken will not be hard, nor the customer got it. It is all recorded electronically (amounts) and person (CCTV cameras near ATMS).

Just is it worth the effort?

The giveaway went on for about six hours before the fault was reported to Nationwide building society.

Got to be questions asked about the staff. Do you think they didn't notice the queue and think there was something odd going on?

The giveaway went on for about six hours before the fault was reported to Nationwide building society.

Got to be questions asked about the staff. Do you think they didn't notice the queue and think there was something odd going on?

They were probably in the queue! :lol:

Guest Ricardomeister

I would certainly not take advantage of this as my parents brought me up correctly and my conscience would not allow me to steal money. This is obviously theft and is as bad as seeing a wallet in the road and walking off with the contents.

And before anybody says I am a liar, I had a situation a few years ago when my house insurance provider paid out twice on the same claim (for about £125). I phoned the claims office to tell them, not because I'm a saint, but because it was clearly the right thing to do.

Darn it I filled up with petrol there yesterday and didn't get any cash out. The news report doesn't say when it was, but I was there at about 6.15pm, there was a small queue at the point but not enough to make me think anything was up...maybe it was already over by then

I suppose I woulda made an extra deposit because of the error, but being in the banking business I would know that it would come back to me.

Those of you that say that they would do the same and not expect to have it comeback to you are wrong though. Mistakes like this happen everyday, maybe not in this manner, but we all pay for it. It's called lower interest rates on your checking and savings accounts and higher rates for your credit cards. Also higher late fees and overdraft fees. Point is that it all trickles down. Granted this case with a few thousand quid missing it wont trickle down too much but (especially in this economic crisis) it will affect the bank and its rates and numbers it charges its clients.

I find the theft by finding a very odd law, not sure if we have anything like that in the USA. I think we do follow the finders keepers code, errr I hope so cause this car I just found has got some comfortable leather seats in it ;)

Â