Do you count the woodwork as on or off target?

Artetasgirl

When a shot hits the post/crossbar do you deem the shot to be on or off target?  

145 members have voted

1. 1. When a shot hits the post/crossbar do you deem the shot to be on or off target?

• On
    • Off

Absolutely wrong, IMO. Off target can be anything from, well, IYO, hitting the post from close range to having a shot from 30 yards hitting row Z above the corner flag. So when you read the stats from a game and read off target you really don't know how close a team was to score, do you? There is never an exact way to measure that but if you put the posts and bars as on target the picture gets a bit more accurate. They are at least a part of the goal. The goal is the target and if I hit the post I hit the goal so on target. If I hit the keeper it's on target but not a goal anyway so really doesn't matter. What matters are the goals.

There's an old phrase we use, "a miss is as good as a mile". It doesn't matter if you missed by an inch, a mile, or 10km, you still missed.

Classing any miss (even if it hit the post) as on target doesn't tell you how close they came to scoring either, it just makes the stat wrong. Stats aren't meant to give an indication of what exactly happened, they're meant to give a summary in some FACTS, why anyone would wants to take these facts and add wrong information into them so they cease to be facts I don't know.

The goal posts are not part of the goal, they are part of the goal structure, two different things. As has been said before, the target is not to hit them, but to get the ball between them, if you hit them you missed the target, just like if you're aiming for treble twenty in darts and somehow manage to embed the dart in the wire you missed.

So then you might as well say that if the keeper saves the shot it's off target too as it didn't hit the net? That's the aim of the shot, isn't it, and as all shots that doesn't hit the net is off target then those must be too. I know, you've probably used the wrong words and all that, but I don't care. The posts and the bar is parts of the goal and as such for ME it will always count as an on target shot. And I'm happy with that. :) How often do you really use the word "goal structure"? And as said, if a shot hits the post and into the net, is that off or on target? Ot if it hits the post, the back of the keeper and into goal, is that off target? Or the the ball hits the post and a player standing on or just behind the goal line and then going out, is that off or on target? That never happens to a shot passing outside the posts. If it's not a freak shot that hits a player on the line and taking a twist and ends up in goal, but that's not common enough ti be counted, surely? See, the point is that this is not as clear as daylight as you might think. Not for me, anyway.

How is this thread so long?

Surely on target means if no-one gets in the way, the shot would be a goal, i.e. it has to be saved to stop it from being a goal.

If it hits the woodwork it isn't going in, easy as that. If you hit the rim in basketball is that on target? of course it isn't.

28 people think it's on target? :S

What next? Start giving teams half a goal each time they hit the post becaue 'but, but, but, it's sooooo close'?

Just doesn't make any sense at all.

So then you might as well say that if the keeper saves the shot it's off target too as it didn't hit the net? That's the aim of the shot, isn't it, and as all shots that doesn't hit the net is off target then those must be too. I know, you've probably used the wrong words and all that, but I don't care.

If it's a save or block then the shot is on target, as on target doesn't mean it actually reached the target, just that it was on course to.

The posts and the bar is parts of the goal and as such for ME it will always count as an on target shot. And I'm happy with that. :) How often do you really use the word "goal structure"? And as said, if a shot hits the post and into the net, is that off or on target? Ot if it hits the post, the back of the keeper and into goal, is that off target? Or the the ball hits the post and a player standing on or just behind the goal line and then going out, is that off or on target? That never happens to a shot passing outside the posts. If it's not a freak shot that hits a player on the line and taking a twist and ends up in goal, but that's not common enough ti be counted, surely? See, the point is that this is not as clear as daylight as you might think. Not for me, anyway.

If it's post and in, I'd say it can be either off or on target, depending on if the player aimed to use the post due to the angle requiring it, but it'll always get classed as on target because it went in.

Post, back of keeper and in, is clearly off target, post and goal line block/clearance is like above, either off or on, but classed as on for simplicity.

IMO the uncertainty is with post and in, not post and out, and the benefit of the doubt is given with that, rather than crediting something that was never going to result in a goal with an on target shot.

So then you might as well say that if the keeper saves the shot it's off target too as it didn't hit the net? That's the aim of the shot, isn't it, and as all shots that doesn't hit the net is off target then those must be too. I know, you've probably used the wrong words and all that, but I don't care.

If it's a save or block then the shot is on target, as on target doesn't mean it actually reached the target, just that it was on course to.

The posts and the bar is parts of the goal and as such for ME it will always count as an on target shot. And I'm happy with that. :) How often do you really use the word "goal structure"? And as said, if a shot hits the post and into the net, is that off or on target? Ot if it hits the post, the back of the keeper and into goal, is that off target? Or the the ball hits the post and a player standing on or just behind the goal line and then going out, is that off or on target? That never happens to a shot passing outside the posts. If it's not a freak shot that hits a player on the line and taking a twist and ends up in goal, but that's not common enough ti be counted, surely? See, the point is that this is not as clear as daylight as you might think. Not for me, anyway.

If it's post and in, I'd say it can be either off or on target, depending on if the player aimed to use the post due to the angle requiring it, but it'll always get classed as on target because it went in.

Post, back of keeper and in, is clearly off target, post and goal line block/clearance is like above, either off or on, but classed as on for simplicity.

IMO the uncertainty is with post and in, not post and out, and the benefit of the doubt is given with that, rather than crediting something that was never going to result in a goal with an on target shot.

There you go. :) Now you say yourself that it might not be as clear as daylight.

And to those who say it's quite worrying that, well now 32 have voted for on target I'll just say that you'll do fine. If you ain't got anything else to worry about you're quite lucky. :nod:

If I throw a dart on target, it will land in a scoring part of the board.

If I kick a rugby ball on target it will go through the posts.

If I throw a basketball on target it will go in the ring.

If I throw a punch on target it will hit the punching bag.

If I kick a football on target it will end up in the goal.

There you go. :) Now you say yourself that it might not be as clear as daylight.

Only with post and in :P Post and out is always off target :P

Post in is clearly on target.

Â