Do you count the woodwork as on or off target?

Artetasgirl

When a shot hits the post/crossbar do you deem the shot to be on or off target?  

145 members have voted

1. 1. When a shot hits the post/crossbar do you deem the shot to be on or off target?

• On
    • Off

well the target is the goal, and you've hit part of the goal structure, therefore its kinda on target, but didn't go in.

I'd say the target is getting the ball between the posts, under the crossbar, and over the goal line, as that's what gives a goal.miss.

I'd say that the target is to score a goal, that is to hit the goal without it hitting the keeper so that it won't go in.

In a similar case to it being off target to hit the woodwork, you can argue that it is off target to when the ball hits the keeper. And in the definition it clearly isn't. Therefore you could argue that hitting the post also is hitting the target, as its actually closer to hitting the target than when hitting the keeper.

well the target is the goal, and you've hit part of the goal structure, therefore its kinda on target, but didn't go in.

That was one of the factors my work colleagues said.

The aim of the game is to get the ball across the line in between the posts. that is the target of the game. so clearly the woodwork is off target

He doesn't come from Widnes does he?

I'd say the target is getting the ball between the posts, under the crossbar, and over the goal line, as that's what gives a goal.miss.

I'd say that the target is to score a goal, that is to hit the goal without it hitting the keeper so that it won't go in.

In a similar case to it being off target to hit the woodwork, you can argue that it is off target to when the ball hits the keeper. And in the definition it clearly isn't. Therefore you could argue that hitting the post also is hitting the target, as its actually closer to hitting the target than when hitting the keeper.

You could try but you would still be wrong.

Your target is the area inside the posts. There might be a keeper blocking the target but it doesnt change what the target is.

Nah, don't associate myself with them sort of creatures ;)

Nah, don't associate myself with them sort of creatures ;)

its just that he logic of his position would appear to be chemically enhanced

Off target for me too. However, what happens if a goalie saves a shot that was going wide? Most would probably class that 'on target' but it's no more on target than hitting the woodwork.

id say off

The way I see it, think of every shot as if it was an open goal, if it would go in its on target, if it wouldnt then it's off target, I know it sounds stupidly simple but 9 people have still voted 'on'. Presuming the question means, woodwork and back out, not wodwork and in.

Off target for me too. However, what happens if a goalie saves a shot that was going wide? Most would probably class that 'on target' but it's no more on target than hitting the woodwork.

That would be off target aswell and more than likely go down as an own goal, like Carson did the weekend.

That would be off target aswell and more than likely go down as an own goal, like Carson did the weekend.

We're not saying that the ball goes in.

However it would likely be considered a save and by implication would then be on-target.

If it's going in it's on target. If it's not it's off target. It's as simple as that. Therefore woodwork is off target because it's not a score :?

I think the only thing the keeper has saved there is a goal kick

im being thick and dont understand your post, could you please explain

I`m saying, I wouldn`t consider it a save because the ball was going wide before the goalie stopped it so, effectivly the only thing he has saved is the ball from going for a goal kick

So a ball that goes in off the woodwork is a shot off target, even though it's a goal?

If it's going in it's on target. If it's not it's off target.

Â