Carew... Do we miss him, with Poll added

Laursen1977

Do we miss John Carew (who I am led to believe is bigger than me or you)  

251 members have voted

1. 1. Do we miss John Carew (who I am led to believe is bigger than me or you)

• Yes we do
    • Course we don’t, not with Mr OG being our main striker and the like

..........Liverpool were winning without Torres and Man utd were winning without Ronaldo& Everton have done really well without their main strikers ..... do you think they would be missing those players? of course they would.

I'm sorry, but i just don't buy the deduction you have made

Gabby has done a sterling job in Carews absence, but is it sustainable?

Gabby admits he has learnt more since being thrust on his own.... but its damn hard work and eventually we will burn him out if it was to continue for too long

we have picked up points when we havn't been playing particularly well and carew takes a lot of physical work off a lot of his mates..... put your poll outside Bodymoor heath and see what reaction you will get.

I don't think this 1 up front works long term.... possibly away from home, but not regularly.

also Intersting to see how Chelsea are not their usual selves with one up front.

I would really liek to think so ...

but the fact is we knwo little abotu what is wrong

that leads to the kind of speculation I have mentioned but nothing like that on Vital

Ian you have been told many times its a prolapsed disc.....I'm sorry to disaapoint you but the Lap dancing junk is a what it is junk.

....it seems like that you just don't beleive a simple explanation.

Another thing that might annoy you is that he a very popular guy at the club.

also Intersting to see how Chelsea are not their usual selves with one up front.

You think? IMO they have played their best stuff with Anelka on his own...

just an opinion , but no i don't think they have been great with Anelka..... not compared with the past.

I would really liek to think so ...

but the fact is we knwo little abotu what is wrong

that leads to the kind of speculation I have mentioned but nothing like that on Vital

Ian you have been told many times its a prolapsed disc.....I'm sorry to disaapoint you but the Lap dancing junk is a what it is junk.

....it seems like that you just don't beleive a simple explanation.

Another thing that might annoy you is that he a very popular guy at the club.

I have been told nothing by the club but by you as an ITK, sorry but we all take ITKs with a pinch a salt on here

and why would that annoy me ? check out what I have said about Carew and you will find the basic difference is that I simply do not rate him as highly as some, but no way would I want him to go without a better replacement.

that goes for every player

You think? IMO they have played their best stuff with Anelka on his own...

maybe and Chelsea have never players with two up front but Anelka is a strange guy will score loads but contributes little to the team, unlike Carew he does not give tyou anymore than poure goals and when those dry him Anelka is a waste fo time

At least when Carew plays badly he is still something of a nuisance value

Yes for me. It's more than just stats. Carew has presence and I still think gabby will score more goals with JC in the team.

And on this subject, Ian, the bet you have on with Michelsen is an admirable one but I'd rather he gave you the £10 for a new keyboard without back-to-front keys. I'll give the £10 to Acorns. lol

We still miss him.

In which way?

Results? Nope, we get a lot more points.

Goals? Nope, we score a lot more.

Defence? Nope, we even concede less.

What do we miss then?

I am not complaining, but to be honest we have been fortunate with a lot of those results since he has been missing. Long may the luck continue, yet I am just pointing this out. Defence wise, why do you even mention him?! He's a forward, although he does actually add to the defence when he defends at the near post from corners (and at other times through his sheer height).

The fact is we miss him as an extra option. Especially at home, where it is not ideal to have one upfront. He allows us to play a 4-4-2 formation. It's also a forward that can be subbed on near the end of the match if needed. Him or Harewood? Need I say more. The fact is that yes we do miss him, and watching us play you can clearly see how at times he would be of great use. To suggest we don't miss him is a bit silly in my opinion....

Ok.. stats can be manipulated to read WHATEVER you what them to.

For example...

Liverpool:

______________PL___W__D___L___F___PTS___Gls/Game___Pts/Game

Torres Plays____10___6___4___0___13___22___1.3________2.2

No Torres______11___7___3___1___22___24___2.0________2.18

According to 'STATISTICS' Liverpool score a LOT more when FERNANDO TORRES plays NO part in the game

Therefore, TORRES is TURD.

Some people need to get a grip about how stats work - particularly how they can be manipulated to prove what you want them to.

Please can someone show me how to do a proper table? Thanks.

We still miss him.

In which way?

Results? Nope, we get a lot more points.

Goals? Nope, we score a lot more.

Defence? Nope, we even concede less.

What do we miss then?

I miss watching him tear up the oposition. Admitedly this is not something he does every time he plays, but i still miss it!

it's an interesting one alright, on one hand the stats would show that we score more and pick up more points without him, on the other hand i've lost track lately of how many times i've said; "can you imagine if we'd have had Carew today/tonight, we'd have scored a shitload!"

But of course football doesn't work this way, the actual fact is that had Carew been playing then half of chances would never have occured due to changes in personnel and a likely change in our style of play....

I'd rather have him than not, that's for sure, though how much we're missing him right now is very much open to debate

I'm absolutely certain we miss him. While we've been picking up a lot of points without him, some of them have been quite fortunate and I don't know whether it's just me (not read the whole thread), but we sometimes look a bit a clueless attacking, especially against teams who are happy to defend. With Carew I feel he offers us a bit more presence upfront and does something different to what Gabby does. Without Carew a team knows that all that is going to happen is Gabby is going to run at them from whistle to whistle and sometimes Young will try a shot or a cheeky cross. With Carew we can play like that or we can have big John laying it off, a different dimension to the attack and the mixing up style makes defending harder.

Ok.. stats can be manipulated to read WHATEVER you what them to.

For example...

Liverpool:

______________PL___W__D___L___F___PTS___Gls/Game___Pts/Game

Torres Plays____10___6___4___0___13___22___1.3________2.2

No Torres______11___7___3___1___22___24___2.0________2.18

According to 'STATISTICS' Liverpool score a LOT more when FERNANDO TORRES plays NO part in the game

Therefore, TORRES is TURD.

Some people need to get a grip about how stats work - particularly how they can be manipulated to prove what you want them to.

Please can someone show me how to do a proper table? Thanks.

said it before but it is often the case if you have a dominant scorer like Torres was last season you rely on him far too much,

therefore you have to find other ways of scoring and amend your play

because take Torres if he is on the bench he must be fit surely so for me it is a deliberate descion not to play him

at villa we have the method of scoring from anywhere and the opposition we do not relay on a single player therefore losing Carew is not a big loss but losing another would be.

Â