Carew... Do we miss him, with Poll added

Laursen1977

Do we miss John Carew (who I am led to believe is bigger than me or you)  

251 members have voted

1. 1. Do we miss John Carew (who I am led to believe is bigger than me or you)

• Yes we do
    • Course we don’t, not with Mr OG being our main striker and the like

Laursen1977 here is a question for you which I think will show you why I think your arguement is flawed.

Are we missing Bouma? Yes or no? Honest answer please.

Because we are doing significantly better than last season yet I would argue that we are really missing him at left back and we would be an ever better side if he were fit. Yet we have more points than we did when he was playing last season.

Its looks like you're on a nice little crusade here.. What did Big John ever do to you? :D

The stats you put forward do show an improved run of form without Carew. However, the period in which Carew has been injured has not included games vs Man Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool (the 3 superpowers in the Premier League). This same period has, in my opinion, seen Milner begin to settle into the team following his move. Has co-incided with Gareth Barry putting the summer shenanigans to the back of his head. Also, MON has taken to playing Luke Young at left back and Cuellar at right back. Brad Friedel has also stopped spilling his saves, and that always helps.

So, in the time that Carew has been injured, our midfield has settled and is working as a unit much better than it was at the start of the season. Our back 5 is also looking a lot less pourous than it was previously.

In summation, the statistics you quote give the impression of a team playing better without Carew. I agree that they are playing better, but I believe that is happening in spite of the absence of Big John, not because of it. In fact, I'm quite excited about the prospect of Carew rejoining the team in it's current vein of form.

We've played Man Utd, Arsenal away/home and Everton away without Carew.

Laursen1977 here is a question for you which I think will show you why I think your arguement is flawed.

Are we missing Bouma? Yes or no? Honest answer please.

Because we are doing significantly better than last season yet I would argue that we are really missing him at left back and we would be an ever better side if he were fit. Yet we have more points than we did when he was playing last season.

Difference here is though, we have with Carew/without Carew stats from this season.......whereas Bouma has never had the chance to play with Friedel/Milner/Cuellar/Luke Young/Sidwell....and never had the chance to play in a 4 - 5 - 1 without Carew.

In summation, the statistics you quote give the impression of a team playing better without Carew. I agree that they are playing better, but I believe that is happening in spite of the absence of Big John, not because of it. In fact, I'm quite excited about the prospect of Carew rejoining the team in it's current vein of form.

Totally agree with you. Although our results have been good, our performances have been poor. Take yesterday for example, yes... we won the game but I felt that we could have put the game to bed with half an hour with Carew up front with Gabby.

I cant wait for Carew's return... it will feel like a new signing

we won the game but I felt that we could have put the game to bed with half an hour with Carew up front with Gabby.

Imaginary and embellished...

By the way, we were 2 - 1 up at hawthorns with a whole second half to play with Carew and Gabby up front.....why didn't we put the game to bed with half an hour to go?

The fact that we have done well without Carew shows that the entire squad deserves credit for carrying on without a key player. We have also played successfully without others such as Bouma and Laursen.

Good news, but these statistics cannot be used to support an argument that we "don't miss" any particular player.

It is absiurd to think we "don't miss" a player as good as Carew.

we won the game but I felt that we could have put the game to bed with half an hour with Carew up front with Gabby.

Imaginary and embellished...

By the way, we were 2 - 1 up at hawthorns with a whole second half to play with Carew and Gabby up front.....why didn't we put the game to bed with half an hour to go?

1st game the baggies were much tougher to break down. Yesterday they had more possession but they left bags of space as they attack us. IMO, with a fit Gabby and Carew we would have won by at least 3 goals.

Conversely, we were 2-1 up at Villa Park vs WBA with 40 minutes to play without Carew.. Why didn't we put the game to bed with half an hour to go?

Conversely, we were 2-1 up at Villa Park vs WBA with 40 minutes to play without Carew.. Why didn't we put the game to bed with half an hour to go?

I wasn't the one that said we should/would have.

this just proves that looking at statistics and making an assumption on the whole outlook of the team is pretty much POINTLESS and a MEGA FAIL!

we all do it, and this is just on aspect of why football is the most talked about sport in the world. A simple game with so many variables and statistics which we think we can predict by some basic analysis.

I love it. Everyones a player, ever managers a fan, every fan is a manager.

I think the one thing that has been completely overlooked is that with the loss of Carew to injury/lapdancers we've changed our formation. As such, you could equally say, we play better in a 451 than a 442 regardless of personal.

We're missing Carew.

P.S - if the mods were to stick a poll on this I rather suspect laursen1977 you would be out voted about 20 to 1 on this subject.

I think so too. I know what you're sayin re stats, but to have the option of carew in the last few games would have been a great help. Yes i know we haven't been beaten in 9, but as someone else posted, who's to say we would have done even better with him in the team??

Let me ask this question then......If we haven't missed him, or we don't need him, who would sell him in jan window??

But what a trick that is...

Of course but eventually people are going to figure out how to stop it. Right?

Maybe we'll start using the only score from set pieces trick then again or did everyone figure that one out already?

Â