General Krulak (part 2) and *STILL NO TRANSFER QUESTIONS*

LancsVillan

General,

Bit of an odd question, I must admit, but given the recent NFL game at Wembley and the slim rumours of a 'potential' franchise in the UK, has Randy considered bringing the Browns to VP so he can see both of his loves in one place for an exhibition match? This would bring even more exposure to our US fans, whilst also allowing us to give the Browns an extra bit of support especially given their recent form.

Keep up the great work that you guys are doing for our club. We truely appreciate everything you have, and continue to do, to honour this clubs tradition.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

General Krulak here:

1. What a game. Not exactly the prettiest but the last seconds were very special. Guzan was immense. Those fans who went to the game can tell their kids and grandkids that they saw some of the best goalkieeping in decades. Amazing stops along the way. Speaking of Fans, they were GREAT!!!! Those two thousand drowned out the Sunderland Fans almost the entire time. Well done!!

2. You will probably not see the Browns over here...for the same reason that Randy would not be for a league game being played in the US. Villa Fans are here in the UK and they should see their team play in League games.

General Krulak here:

1. I hope that many of you were among the 11,000 who showed up for training day...it was a rousing success! It was more than a training day...it was a fan appreciation day for what the fans have meant to the Club over the years. At a time when the economy is in the tank and things are pretty tough all around, the idea of something free is novel to the extreme. This one was for the Villa Fan...the BEST Fans in the world!!

General Krulak here:

1. I hope that many of you were among the 11,000 who showed up for training day...it was a rousing success! It was more than a training day...it was a fan appreciation day for what the fans have meant to the Club over the years. At a time when the economy is in the tank and things are pretty tough all around, the idea of something free is novel to the extreme. This one was for the Villa Fan...the BEST Fans in the world!!

Couldn't make it today more is the pity. I did though see it all over Sky Sports News throughout the morning and just wanted to say what a brilliant more by the club.

It can only help to ensure the kids growing up in the city have even more reason to identify with the club even if they can't afford or are unable to attend games. If we are ever going to reduce the number of Man Utd or Liverpool fans growing up in our city then it will be thanks to things like this.

Hats off to those responsible.

General - Thanks to everyone for today. It was my Grandsons first visit to VP - its been a bit of a battle with his other Granddad to turn him to the good side of the force, i.e. not a Nose. He had a great time and will soon be enjoying his first Villa match v Bolton. Thanks again and UTV

General - Thanks to everyone for today. It was my Grandsons first visit to VP - its been a bit of a battle with his other Granddad to turn him to the good side of the force, i.e. not a Nose. He had a great time and will soon be enjoying his first Villa match v Bolton. Thanks again and UTV

General - I would also like to convey my thanks to the club for todays efforts. My 2 boys are now hooked on Villa and they are getting half season tickets for christmas (with the alterior motive that I too get one :lol: ).

I havn't really got a question, just thanks.

General,

two posts in two days...great.......a very big welcome back to the fold....you have been missed.

Onto my question, catering.....i went to the catering kiosk in the upper Trinity before the Man Citeh game and asked for a black coffee to be told that ''we dont sell it''.....i then asked for a black tea....''dont sell that either''....(as you can probably tell by now i dont have any milk in my drinks)....i questioned this further to be told that all of the pre packed tea and coffee drinks contain powdered milk......surely we can offer to sell a combination of drinks with or without milk?....after all, all the staff have to do is apply hot water to the cup!!

General, please see what you can do on this one.

All the best

General Krulak here:

1. imavillan: Hmmmm, now that is one I haven't heard and I have no idea of why we would only sell tea and coffee pre-packaged with only cream/milk. Let me check it out.

General,

Do you have any feedback on this?

And now you are on the road to recovery when do you next envisage coming over to VP?

The Bolton game?

Why did we only take 1800 tickets for Everton? I hope we're not going to revert to the days of Ellis and penny pinching when he would only take the smaller allocation. Even if we didn't sell all of them surely it would be better to have 2500 fans up there than 1800? Also if there isn't too much demand why not just stick them on general sale so people without a season ticket or booking history have a chance of going and getting themselves a history?!

I think NFL will increase games from 16 to 18 and every team will have to play one home and away game oversea. So NFL can spread worldwide appeal. This might allow Randy to keep his fans happy and promote Browns outside USA.

Could you see this ruling happening. What do you think the rumours for London NFL team.

general, ive recently relocated to toronto and since you probably know a good deal more about this than i do, do you think itd be worth going to the bills v miami game in the rogers center in december?

General Krulak here:

1. I checked into the Tea/Coffee issue and the answer was pretty much as you might have expected. Statistics indicate that most people take the cream, etc. In order to avoid the time delay in providing all black and then having the condiments on the side, we go with the majority. Alison Plant has indicated that, if asked, most kiosks can provide the straight black...but need to be asked. The coffee will come from a pot that only holds black...and may not last the entire game.

2. I really don't see the Browns coming across the pond.

3. I would go to the Miami game as they play a pretty exciting brand of American football.

4. Today's game: I know there are mixed feelings about the game but I look at it as follows. We were playing at a tough stadium to win at...we came from one down...we outplayed them in the 2nd half even though the 1st half was not as good...we did not lose...we have been playing with less rest than normal and still have another to go...we are NOT the only team to have a game like this (Liverpool, Spurs, etc just today) and we had a draw. NOT losing is important. Winning the games we should win and winning some that are a bit tougher is CRITICAL. Today, we did not lose. Others that should have won did not win. Let's not get down on the Club for this one.

General Krulak here:

4. Today's game: I know there are mixed feelings about the game but I look at it as follows. We were playing at a tough stadium to win at...we came from one down...we outplayed them in the 2nd half even though the 1st half was not as good...we did not lose...we have been playing with less rest than normal and still have another to go...we are NOT the only team to have a game like this (Liverpool, Spurs, etc just today) and we had a draw. NOT losing is important. Winning the games we should win and winning some that are a bit tougher is CRITICAL. Today, we did not lose. Others that should have won did not win. Let's not get down on the Club for this one.

Well said General.

General Krulak here:

same old same old though mate...

missing in central midfield, by players that are far too static, and do not work well in a partnership, nor do they offer protection to the defence, or support for the attack, which means that our wingers have to do the creative work, which is then easy for the opposition to crowd them out, and that then stops us playing until a set piece...

as for the strikers, for starters, a first touch that isnt a volley would help their lack of service, but how heskey is a professional footballer being paid thousands a week, is beyond me... if he never played for my club again, it would be far too soon...

todays result, papers over some serious cracks in our team, while we insist on shoe horning sidwell, petrov and heskey into the team...

General Krulak here:

same old same old though mate...

missing in central midfield, by players that are far too static, and do not work well in a partnership, nor do they offer protection to the defence, or support for the attack, which means that our wingers have to do the creative work, which is then easy for the opposition to crowd them out, and that then stops us playing until a set piece...

as for the strikers, for starters, a first touch that isnt a volley would help their lack of service, but how heskey is a professional footballer being paid thousands a week, is beyond me... if he never played for my club again, it would be far too soon...

todays result, papers over some serious cracks in our team, while we insist on shoe horning sidwell, petrov and heskey into the team...

Does the fact we have only lost 1 in the last 12 paper over cracks as well then?

Sorry General, for me that was a good point today a slow first 20 but from then on we looked comfortable.

A top striker and a top midfielder and I reckon we would be up there challenging.

Exciting times.

General Krulak here:

1. dappadan: What are you sorry for....I agree with you totally and that is what I said in my post.

2. pablopicasso: Let's just agree to disagree. "Same old, same old" just doesn't seem right to me. Are you saying we are the same as the last half of last season? Are you saying that there has been no improvement? Are you saying that Petrov is not playing better? Are you saying that the lads, as a Squad, are not improved? I understand your feelings re. specific players...and I hope you understand that I should not comment on individuals. I do know something I have learned over time..."naming and shaming" is not the way to get production out of anyone...a footballer or a construction worker.

General Krulak here:

2. pablopicasso: Let's just agree to disagree. "Same old, same old" just doesn't seem right to me. Are you saying we are the same as the last half of last season? Are you saying that there has been no improvement? Are you saying that Petrov is not playing better? Are you saying that the lads, as a Squad, are not improved? I understand your feelings re. specific players...and I hope you understand that I should not comment on individuals. I do know something I have learned over time..."naming and shaming" is not the way to get production out of anyone...a footballer or a construction worker.

my overall viewpoint is constructive, believe it or not... when we do get people in who can do a job better than the dross like heskey and sidwell, then we will improve vastly... and with downing coming in when he is fit, i hope that we do improve in this area... that is the positive that i take from the situation...

however, when i say "same old same old", i mean that the obvious deficiencies within the team, mainly central midfield and up front, is pretty obvious for most to see... and have been for most of the season... it is frustrating to watch, knowing that we can perform much better, while watching the ball bounce off heskeys shin for the umpteenth time and go straight to the opposition and then watch sidwell do his crappy little crab impression and then allow the opposition to waltz straight past him like he isnt there... (and lets be honest, they both might as well not be).. petrov is another matter... when used in the right system, he can be effective... but in a 4-4-2, he is not, as he lacks the mobility and pace to be effective... which is why the likes of everton, with all of their missing players, went through our midfield like a hot knife through butter, while we parted like the red sea and invited them onto us over and over again...

especially when we know how good we can actually be, when we play proper football on the deck, and actually use our strengths... 2 pacy tenacious central midfielders doing the leg work, in front of the anchor man in petrov and the wingers supporting the lone striker...

agbonlahor tends to play better up top on his own, as his pacy movement means that he can run the channels and pull defenders into space which allows the midfielders to then support the attack... he actually lookes a decent striker when in this role...

it works better as we tend not to lump the ball forward, and actually play posession football, pass it around like a proper football team, and attack with pace and numbers... and with petrov sitting deeper laying simple balls off to players with the legs, we look a much better side for it, both in terms of defending, and attacking...

i understand and respect the fact that you can not "name and shame", for a variety of reasons, however, i do not have to adhere to the same rules... and while it seems like i am having a bitch at you, my comments are very real concerns that i have about the team, in relation to your comments about the match...

General Krulak here:

1. pablopicasso: A very good post and well thought out. I think you make good points and are some that I would echo. I would only argue that a year or so ago, most fans were not singling out the midfield but, rather, the back line. We have improved BOTH in my opinion. We still have some players out and yet to play a game this season. We also have some strong youngsters in the wings, MON watches the tapes of our opponents and evaluates our players and puts out the formation he feels best addresses what he sees on the tapes and what he feels about our Squad vs. the "enemy." You may not agree with his final decision but it is his to make based on his knowledge of the game about to be played. Again, you make good points and they are taken in that light.

a year ago, we had gareth barry in central midfield... and while i think we have certainly improved on him in the long term with fabian delph, and possibly with downing when he is fully fit in the new year, but as it stands, we do not have the same midfield as last year, so to compare our comments about the midfield or backline last season is a little unfair, as it is not the same midfield or back line as last year... one has improved, one has weakened... in my humble opinion...

the defence have improved significantly... even with a centre back playing at right back... the basis for our results this season... james collins in particular, has been an inspired signing... but the midfield, we have basically taken the composure and ability to keep posession of the ball in gareth barry, and replaced him with steve bloody sidwell... my hope when barry left was that we would replace him with someone who had the pace and creativity to go with the composure on the ball, and that would improve our midfield... but as it stands, we are weaker in that department and that is evident as teams waltz straight through the midfield... thank jebus for the defence as mentioned above (and congrats to the manager for finally getting that right)...

(i would like to point out that i back the manager to a degree, but i wont blindly back him and argue his case when i dont agree with what is happening on the pitch... i support the club, not the manager)...

i agree with your comments about the youth players... the youngsters, excite me a lot... delph, while being a purchase, is a superb talent and potentially far far superior to the likes of barry, and certainly potentially better than anything we have in the central midfield at the moment... delfouneso, attitude permitting, is THE single most exciting prospect we have had from our academy in my living memory... albrighton has worked on beating his man, and has improved ten fold for that as a winger... ciaran clark has shown that he has the natural ability and desire to become a solid centre back, and fitness permitting, nathan baker has looked a better defender than clark for me when i have watched the youth or reserves... so we have a lot to be excited about in the long term...

but i go on... i have said my piece and that is all i can do... i wouldnt want you trying to influence the managers job (and i very much doubt you would want to), but i have got my thoughts off my chest and i thank you for giving us the opportunity to do that...