General Krulak (part 2) and *STILL NO TRANSFER QUESTIONS*

LancsVillan

General, I would like to acknowledge that team who went out yesterday as i think they played their socks off and i was extremley proud of the likes of Bannon and Allbrighton who looked class and considering the conditions this said a hell of a lot about their character too.

The camp was split on this team choice and though i think the right decision was made i think it was the choice of a brave and confident manager as he not only knew that the fans would be on his back but the press too. MON has always acknowledged the fans so i have no doubt that he never made this choice over his cornflakes as we have been playing in a low money making cup competition for 8 months now you really dont make this choice easy.

In all the arguments online and at work i have always said "have faith in MON" and he has came through so i dont think we should be giving up on him now.

As for the fans who went out there General i can tell you that as soon as we saw the draw me and my mates (who are on above minimum wage) decided it was beyond our means and even back then it was obvious that we were not going to play a full squad.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4. I wish we had won tonight...we didn't. Our lads got some great experience that will pay dividends later.

Couldn't agree more General. Albrighton and Bannan should be very pleased with their performances as should MON and the coaches. I hope that leads to a few more appearances off the bench over the remainder of the season.

Unlucky result but such is life. Well done to the Villa fans who made the trip.

EDIT: Also I though Bradley Guzan had an outstanding game and looks very much as though he has a great future in front of him.

General, thanks for being with us!

Re: CSKA, I understand the decision and it seems the young lads did okay.

I just hope that next season when we are in the Champions League we are not in a similar situation in regard to squad quality and size.

Keep up the good work and Up the Villa. :flag:

Hi General,

Thanks for all the good work in your posts to keep us all informed and giving us fans a chance to discuss events at the club.

The CSKA result/squad has been talked about enough and we will all move on and support will not wane despite any slight hiccups we may have along the way.

I was wondering if the club are planning to sell replica shirts of the white 3rd kit that was worn last night. I and many other other Villa fans loved the white kit but the opportunity to purchase it with the Acorns name across would be fantastic.

Any news on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks and Up the Villa!!!

General Krulak here:

1. We anticipate about 41K at the game on Sunday.

2. Smetrov: Again, I was saddened to hear of a fan who is not going to renew his Season Ticket because of the decision we took re. Moscow game. Far more important to me was your comment that you have also decided not to renew your two son's tickets. My sense is that over time, you will regret that decision. I say this, not as a Director of the Club, but as the father of two lads. Please do not act in haste or in anger or disappointment...there is more at stake here than tickets or money. :(

3. adbo79: As I have mentioned before, the change in "times" did NOT come as a result of Randy, me or the other Directors. Winning silverware may have been HUGELY important years ago but the reality is simply this...revenue allows a Club to compete at the highest levels and in a consistent manner. Our goal is to repeat what the '82 Squad accomplished. Reality dictates that the best path to that achievement is to get into the Champions League and get the revenue needed to build a consistently winning Squad. Winning the UEFA Cup (if truly possible) might well make you happy but that success would be fleeting if we could not reach for the real golden ring...the European Cup. Additionally, contrary to what you and others think, I am not some money bags who walks around with pounds dropping out of my trousers. I spent 35 years in the Forces and if you would care to look at the US Military pay scale (1999) you may be shocked. I spent 25 of those 35 like most of you...supporting a family, moving 31 times, sending my kids to school, getting into max debt, etc. etc. I wish I had what you seem to think I have.

4. I wish we had won tonight...we didn't. Our lads got some great experience that will pay dividends later. Go ahead and whip up on me...I can take it.

Sorry Gen, but I have no idea what that response meant........??? when once did I talk about your wealth or history??? all I stated is that it disgusts me that our club can prioritise finishing fourth in the league over and above silverware, and brush off major competitions as some kind of distraction !! If theye are such a distraction why dont the management take the club out of these competitions??

General,

With reference to questions asking why the club management entered the UEFA cup if it is such a distraction from the league, would you agree with the following statement?

At the time of entering the Intertoto/UEFA cup our potential league position was unclear. If, at this stage in the season, we were comfortable in mid-table (not threatened by relegation or realistically able to qualify for Europe), MON may have chosen more first-teamers to play in Moscow. MON could not have known for certain that we would be in such a good position, only hoped.

Are you surprised by the number of fans that seem to believe that playing a stronger team in Moscow would directly lead to lifting the UEFA cup? It was a difficult tie anyway as I'm sure Moscow would have shown more effort against a stronger Villa team, but after a scoring home draw and with 31 other teams still competing in the competition (it wasn't the semis!), I'd rate our chances as 1 in 10. I trust MON's knowledge of our squad above anyone else and if MON thought that competing strongly in the remaining rounds of the UEFA cup would have damaged our chances of CL qualification then I'm glad MON took the decision to follow what I see as an evens chance rather than chasing a much lesser chance.

Does this make CL a certainty? No, but it increases the chances, perhaps from 2 to 1 to evens. MON turned our '1 in 10' UEFA chance to 1 in 20. I can't blame him for going all in on an even bet.

Of course having typed all of this I expect that your response on all of this issue will be to refer to MONs statement. :winkold:

General;

In times where MON is seemingly getting verbally battered from pillar to post, I would like to post a message of my full support for our manager.

Martin is the manager of the football club - he knows his players and their limitations physically, and on this occasion he decided to act in what he felt are the best interests of the football club by fielding an under-strength team. We have had a period where games have come thick and fast, and our international players like Barry, Petrov, Gabby, Ashley Young etc do not ever get a rest. This is not going to produce results in the long run, and we cannot afford to pick up injuries to players or go into games not at peak fitness as it will ruin our season - a season which we have all put too much effort and emotion into to see it ripped apart due to a small-ish squad.

I dont expect you to comment on this post, or to pass it on to Martin, Randy or anyone at the club, but I know you will read it and because of that I want to assure you that not all fans are short-sighted enough to completely over-react to this situation. I, and many other fans, would much prefer to place out trust in a man who has done the job that MON has done so far and long may our fantastic progress to continue. We are not going to fall apart as a club over one game and one decision made by the man who is payed to make those kind of tough decisions.

Thanks.

General,

Although i am unhappy that Villa have gone out of the UEFA cup, i can try to understand why Matin didn't play a full strength team, I think it was because he never expoected us to be doing so well in the league, if we were just in the hunt for another UEFA or Europa Cup place (as it will be next year) I think he would have put out a much stronger squad.

But as we are 4th in the league, as you said he is aiming for a greater glory, if he had fielded a full strength team and players had been injured then you would get people moaning that he shouldn't have took the competition so seriously.

Martin made a decision that might not have been the one people wanted but because he felt it was the right one...... almost like myself at work today where a group of workers had decided to form a kangaroo court with the intention being that a less popular member of staff would be fired. I was the only one who spoke up for him because i believed what they were doing was completely wrong and, i may have lost a few colleagues as friends, but like Martin, I only did what i thought was right

Hi General,

Shame about the result the other night but at least the lads tried their best and gave it a good go! We all now wait in anticipation of seeing the Villa lift the European Cup within the next few seasons :)

On another note, I wanted to ask you what you thought your highlights and lowlights have been since you have been involved with the Villa?

And, one final question if I may. Do you think Martin will wear a suit when we get to a Cup Final or do you think he would keep to his traditional tracksuit manager look?

General Krulak here:

1. I think I have said about as much as I feel I can say about the decision re. Squad at Moscow. I have shared your concerns with the Club and Directors. At the end of the day, everyone understands the feelings involved but believe that MON made the right choice and support him. Some of the heated comments I have read are sad to see...but come with the territory when I decided to post on these sites. What does surprise me, somewhat, is that some folks truly don't seem to understand the rationale provided by our Manager...rationale that 1) is honest, 2) very forthcoming, and, 3) an amazing insight into the decision-making process of a Premiership Manager. I would have thought most fans would have appreciated this openness and willingness to communicate by the Manager to the Fans.

2. villarocker: lowlights...probably what is happening right now over the moscow decision. The fact that some Fans seem to have done just what they are accusing the club of doing...they are "throwing in the towel." Fans telling me that they are not going to renew their season tickets because of this incident. Forget about all the good that has been done. Sad. Highlights: EASY...5-1!!!!!!!!

3. I magine MON will wear his tracksuit,

rationale that 1) is honest, 2) very forthcoming, and, 3) an amazing insight into the decision-making process of a Premiership Manager. I would have thought most fans would have appreciated this openness and willingness to communicate by the Manager to the Fans.

In all fairness, it's possible to understand the rational, but still disagree and be disappointed with it.

General Krulak here:

1. I think I have said about as much as I feel I can say about the decision re. Squad at Moscow. I have shared your concerns with the Club and Directors. At the end of the day, everyone understands the feelings involved but believe that MON made the right choice and support him. Some of the heated comments I have read are sad to see...but come with the territory when I decided to post on these sites. What does surprise me, somewhat, is that some folks truly don't seem to understand the rationale provided by our Manager...rationale that 1) is honest, 2) very forthcoming, and, 3) an amazing insight into the decision-making process of a Premiership Manager. I would have thought most fans would have appreciated this openness and willingness to communicate by the Manager to the Fans.

2. villarocker: lowlights...probably what is happening right now over the moscow decision. The fact that some Fans seem to have done just what they are accusing the club of doing...they are "throwing in the towel." Fans telling me that they are not going to renew their season tickets because of this incident. Forget about all the good that has been done. Sad. Highlights: EASY...5-1!!!!!!!!

3. I magine MON will wear his tracksuit,

Gen,

your last couple have posts have been very insightful and we really do appreciate it.

I'm over the UEFA already :) and with Liverpool losing and Arsenal only managing a draw today we REALLY can capitalise tomorrow. 2nd place is in our sights!

Hey General !!

I stayed late at work on Thursday to watch the match on a computer stream - when I got home I'd missed my tea !! I was gutted.

Any chance of a free meal with MON and the fans ?? :winkold:

Seriously what a great gesture that was.

And in my view what a great decision in the first place.

And can I say how great the stained glass looks, the Holte looks like a cathedrel now.

Although just to prove what a dodgy business it is trying to improve things I have now had to abandon my age old routine of getting in the Upper Holte early and having a pie watching the fans coming in..still my lads happy he's been saying for years he'd rather get to our seats and watch the warming up.

All the Best General.

a win tomorrow General and all who doubted will be believers again :P

think about 70% agreed with Mons decision. 25% didn`t like it but understood it, and 5% want to run b4 we walk.

and it Really wasn`t a game we threw away, i think the intention was allways to use the squad for the second leg, its just we didn`t get a win from fist leg to hold on to for the second leg imo. or Mon woulda fielded a weak side there too.

If ppl had read what Mon posted a few weeks ago, he let us know, The whole squad would be used in the coming few weeks.

Most of us expected a weak squad for the first game. When i got to VP for it i wasn`t expecting to see our lineup and not many around me did.

General,

Even though we've lost in Moscow, on behalf of Russian supporters club may I thank you, Alan and Nicky once again for giving us an opportunity to visit the game and be in the away end with fellow Villa supporters - you've just made 17 people's dream become real.

We've also spent the whole day with some guys from Birmingham walking around in Moscow and then in the bar, and I think it was fantastic experience for both russian and english guys.

On a negative side is that police stopped some our supporters when they were entering Villa end - because they (police) were confused that russian people support english club and they were afraid of trouble - quite understandably. But we managed to sort it out very quickly, and everyone got to the Villa end finally - so, after all, it wasn't a problem at all! I even shake hands with the policeman I've been discussing this situation with in the end :).

Thanks once again for all your help, and we will be extending our supporters club in future! :)

Alexey

General.

I know its difficult for the club to police but away fans in the home end is a real problem still. Fighting in the Upper North in front of young children.

Not what I expect from grown adults but when you have away fans openly celebrating its not suprising that tempers flare.

General Krulak here:

1. The Game: I am no different than any fan...I am gutted. I saw it...you saw it...MON saw it. We had it and we lost it...nothing much more to say. I am sure that there are those who will link this result with Moscow...fair play. A fan has every right in the world to make any "connection" that would like. That is their absolute right. For me, the Moscow decision has been discussed ad nauseum. MON has given his rationale and I have had my say. I just can't see the "gain" in continuing to discuss it...even in the context of the Stoke game. For me, I can only focus on Man City and the games to follow.

2. Gingerlad: Were their stewards in the area? Could you please tell me about where this incident took place.