If Laursen is injured (if) then who should captain the side?

TrentVilla

Captain?  

249 members have voted

1. 1. Captain?

• Friedel
    • Luke Young
    • Davies
    • Reo-Coker
    • Barry
    • Petrov
    • Sidwell
    • Agbonlahor

Barry maneuvered his way out of the captaincy. I think Petrov should get the armband. He is kind of like an elder out there, he has the respect of the team, and it might even help boost his own confidence. Worth a shot.

Now I know it doesn't work this way, but wasn't there some kind of rule, or maybe just an 'encouragement' that only captains can 'talk' to the referee? (hope someone can set me right on this)

It would be quite difficult to do that from playing in goal. I'm sure Friedel would be an excellent captain, but I've always eeen a little dubious about goalie captains. Having said that, there are quite a few of them out there.

will be barry and i havent got a problem with that. when laursen and reo-coker never played vs OPR barry was captain so i guess hes 3rd in line.

edit: forgot with laursen not playing, i guess reo-coker will be right back so he will probably be captain.

Captain's duties in a football team:

ref - Heads or tails?

captain -Heads.

ref - Heads it is. Kick off or chose ends?

captain - We'll attack the North Stand in the first half.

ref - Okay.

Capello was right when he said he couldnt understand why English people put such importance on who wears the armband. Personally I think its because we are a cricket playing nation and the captain in cricket essentially means you are the manager of the team, and for some reason we give the captain in football equal weighting. On the pitch the captain has no specific duties. The ref might look to him to tell one of his own players to calm down but natural leaders do that anyway, you dont need an armband to show your team mates you can do that, they already know.

I very strongily disagree with you.

The captain very much has a role on the pitch, a captain is the one who sets the tone, who leads and when the chips are down either by force or by example forces those around him to raise their game in a way someone stood on the sidelines can't.

Think of the way Keane used to inspire his Man Utd side, of the way Viera would fight for the team and inspire those around him to fight, look at the way Gallas sat on the turf at Birmingham and Arsenal's season collapsed around them. Look at Terry playing for England in Germany last month.

The captains role is vital.

And they needed an armband to do that?

Have you ever had the privelage of wearing the captain's armband? It's a fantastic feeling, and I'm sure anyone who's ever wore one of them will tell you how it boosts your confidence and ability to fulfill the exact role TV has excellently described.

Speaking as a coach, the role of captain and the symbolism of the armband shouldn't be underestimated.

Oh, and I think Petrov is an excellent shout btw. More by example rather than by being particularily vocal, I suppose. Though I think NRC will have the armband if he plays, as I believe he is vice captain and certainly a natural leader on and off the pitch.

Will be Nige.

I cannot believe people would give it to Barry, and I am a massive Barry fan, but he wasted so much in the summer. The arguments being made make sense, but still, he threw it all away.

I'd give it to Petrov, I can see it lifting his game even more, he is the key to us winning against Le Arse, all he has to do is put in the performances he has been.

ive gone for Petrov... leads by example this season in every game

I was thinking that too. He's always involved in play, defensively or offensively, always seems to give 110%.

But then Barry does have a proven record with this squad from last season, and players have said they have nothing against Barry a few times. The captain is for the players not the fans.

Would like to see Davies (for the future), Petrov (for his work rate), but it will be Barry (for his proven record).

Â