If Laursen is injured (if) then who should captain the side?

TrentVilla

Captain?  

249 members have voted

1. 1. Captain?

• Friedel
    • Luke Young
    • Davies
    • Reo-Coker
    • Barry
    • Petrov
    • Sidwell
    • Agbonlahor

Barry. Your captain's most important duty is to inspire and give confidence to the players during the game. Freidel can't do that from the back, and I don't see any of the others as real candidates. I know alot of people still haven't forgiven Barry, but I have and I believe MON and the team have aswell.

This is a very important game and it's not one to put the best candidate to the side for reasons of pride. Barry is the most respected player in the team, and our young players need someone like that to keep them focused and keep them confident as the game goes on.

Captain's duties in a football team:

ref - Heads or tails?

captain -Heads.

ref - Heads it is. Kick off or chose ends?

captain - We'll attack the North Stand in the first half.

ref - Okay.

Capello was right when he said he couldnt understand why English people put such importance on who wears the armband. Personally I think its because we are a cricket playing nation and the captain in cricket essentially means you are the manager of the team, and for some reason we give the captain in football equal weighting. On the pitch the captain has no specific duties. The ref might look to him to tell one of his own players to calm down but natural leaders do that anyway, you dont need an armband to show your team mates you can do that, they already know.

I very strongily disagree with you.

The captain very much has a role on the pitch, a captain is the one who sets the tone, who leads and when the chips are down either by force or by example forces those around him to raise their game in a way someone stood on the sidelines can't.

Think of the way Keane used to inspire his Man Utd side, of the way Viera would fight for the team and inspire those around him to fight, look at the way Gallas sat on the turf at Birmingham and Arsenal's season collapsed around them. Look at Terry playing for England in Germany last month.

The captains role is vital.

And they needed an armband to do that?

Your original point was that you didn't see the point in a captain not in the captains armband, the arm band is pointless I agree but the role of skipper isn't.

Rev's not saying you need 'the armband'.. he's saying you don't need the title of captain to do those things. An influencial player on the pitch will automatically do those duties and command the respect of the player. You don't need a big fanfare, an armband and a © next to your name on SKY's teamsheet.

Gallas is still one of those influencial people on the pitch at an Arsenal game. He still puts his arm around players giving them confidence boosts and keeping them focused.

ref - Heads or tails?

captain -Heads.

ref - Okay.

The captain who wins the toss can never choose to kick off, contrary to popalr belief.

Whoever wins it chooses ends. Whoever loses it kicks off.

Just FYI from a former captain and former ref - not that it affects your point at all ;)

I'm going for a shower.

You can tell its Christmas. :winkold:

Haha, how long have you been waiting to get me. You give me an awful hard time :P :P

A while mate, a while and then you drop a gimmie in my lap. But then you more than hold your own fella. :D

ref - Heads or tails?

captain -Heads.

ref - Okay.

Capello was right when he said he couldnt understand why English people put such importance on who wears the armband. Personally I think its because we are a cricket playing nation and the captain in cricket essentially means you are the manager of the team, and for some reason we give the captain in football equal weighting. On the pitch the captain has no specific duties. The ref might look to him to tell one of his own players to calm down but natural leaders do that anyway, you dont need an armband to show your team mates you can do that, they already know.

due to the respect the ref campaign the captain is supposed to be the only person who is allowed to talk to the referee so the position is very important. i voted barry people need to get over the summer he still leads us a lot through games.

ref - Heads or tails?

captain -Heads.

ref - Okay.

I very strongily disagree with you.

The captain very much has a role on the pitch, a captain is the one who sets the tone, who leads and when the chips are down either by force or by example forces those around him to raise their game in a way someone stood on the sidelines can't.

Think of the way Keane used to inspire his Man Utd side, of the way Viera would fight for the team and inspire those around him to fight, look at the way Gallas sat on the turf at Birmingham and Arsenal's season collapsed around them. Look at Terry playing for England in Germany last month.

The captains role is vital.

Couldn't agree more. Keane in the tunnel with Viera after his comments on Neville was exactly what you wanted from him at that point. Protecting "his" flock from the outside.

Also I know from playing cricket if my captain starts getting pumped, tearing after balls through the in-field or giving a bit of banter to the batsmen, we all seem to follow and work together.

Captains are there to unite people on the pitch. If the team is losing grip on the 50/50's I think a good crunching tackle by the captain soon sorts that out. There is a lot more to a captain than just it's status. For example you wouldn't make Nicky Shorey captain would you? it would be Friedel, Barry, Reo-Coker or Laursen, maybe Davies. But mostly you look for someone who can fit the role of Captain. Therefore it must have a purpose.

Where would a ship be without a captain? it's role in football is a vital one too. He leads from the front setting an example to the others in his team, co-operates with other players, creates unity between the senior and the younger players, controls all his players and is passionate about leading the side and should never fear defeat.

Â