Running

trimandson

41 minutes ago, hogso said:

I did Two Castles today too. That's a great time, I imagine you'd knock that minute off on a flatter course, somewhere like Draycote Water perhaps. 

Never been there. Just had a google to see if there’s a 10k there soon and there was one this morning. 

3 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

I’m struggling to break 24 minutes at parkrun, let alone 23 and I’m not doing a marathon this year since the Brum one got cancelled.

Have you tried the walsall arboretum park run ? It has to be the flattest course i can think of. There's no grass either, its all on tarmac paths and its pretty scenic too.

I reckon you'd get a new PB on that one

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Have you tried the walsall arboretum park run ? It has to be the flattest course i can think of. There's no grass either, its all on tarmac paths and its pretty scenic too.

No, but it’s on my to do list. Cheers, I’ll probably give it a go in the next few weeks.

2 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

No, but it’s on my to do list. Cheers, I’ll probably give it a go in the next few weeks.

Do. I can't make it every week cos of my shift patterns but it's a great course and plenty of friendly folk around. Usually 500 take part and there's normally a photographer hanging around who posts his Flickr stuff on the Arbo parkrun page the day after, so strike a pose dude !

• Like 1

High 1 Sky Marathon yesterday. 42km of mostly runnable trail and about 2500 metres elevation gain at a Korean ski resort, very happy with 5hrs 56mins.

Much easier run than 2 weeks ago, 50km very technical with almost 4000m elevation gain, took over 12.5 hours!

Making the switch to trail is seriously challenging but learning and improving with every race. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

Why do all races sort their results and finish positions by time rather chip time? Surely the chip time is what it should be all based on?

for most participants, these numbers will be approximately equal. 

The real issue is the website/timing result providers who are typically too cheap to allow sorting etc. on the results site.

• Like 1

First over the line and all that.

Not sure I like this training over the summer for a marathon lark, spent most of my run today cooking...at least I might lose some weight I guess...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, andyjsg said:

Not sure I like this training over the summer for a marathon lark, spent most of my run today cooking...at least I might lose some weight I guess...

I doubt it was so warm around 5am ish... 

I'm ramping back up and have only been able to make 6am thus far, but when it gets hot, it's either run in the morn or understand that a sweatfest will ensue. In fairness, summer running is all fun when it gets as cold as it gets here during the winter.

I'm fortunate enough to work from home so during the winter especially it is a bonus to be able to run during the day.

I need to plan better going forward as lunch time was a little toasty and also far too many people around to do a bit of marathon pace.

On 10/06/2018 at 17:42, mottaloo said:

Took your advice and ran there this morning. 23:13!

Chuffed to buggery. Thanks man.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Took your advice and ran there this morning. 23:13!

Chuffed to buggery. Thanks man.

Delighted to hear that ! It really is a great Parkrun circuit !

I presume that's a PB ?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

Yeah I managed to take 55 seconds off somehow, I wasn’t expecting that.

Just in case you haven't seen this on their fb page :

Yesterday's Arboretum parkrun Flickr.....http://www.flickr.com/photos/80506300@N02/sets.

I'd be amazed if Rocket Ron didn't snap you ?

10 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Just in case you haven't seen this on their fb page :

Yesterday's Arboretum parkrun Flickr.....http://www.flickr.com/photos/80506300@N02/sets.

I'd be amazed if Rocket Ron didn't snap you ?

I was just looking through them and he has avoided me completely. Ah well, just another excuse to go back.

He has caught my dad chatting up two women at the start line though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I was just looking through them and he has avoided me completely. Ah well, just another excuse to go back.

He has caught my dad chatting up two women at the start line though.

We'll that's a surprise (about not snapping you....i can't comment about your old man !)....out of all the 400 pics he usually takes, he gets all of us at least once - ah well, as you say there's always next week !

Edited by mottaloo
  • Like 1

On 11/06/2018 at 19:25, andyjsg said:

Speaking of first over the line, I was today on a trail half marathon today (by nearly a couple of mins).

Seriously tough stuff (360m elevation) but got some cool prizes including a 3d printed course map and some Hokas (which I will give to the Mrs).

Wins are rare for me outside parkrun so pretty pleased!!

• Like 3

That picture was taken shortly after I reached the bottom of hill and before turning around. I looked a lot less fresh by the time I reached the top! The last 2k was tough, but on tarmac is wasn't too much to keep a steady 5:30per/km pace. Would have been walking if it was trail!

Â