Running

trimandson

22 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

Anybody doing the Birmingham 10k this weekend? Looks like it's going to be a nice warm one.

I'm hoping to knock 12 minutes off my time from last year, because I've actually been doing a bit of training this time.

So what time does it actually start?

08:30

I

Information point and baggage facility opens 

10:15 Start of elite women
10:27 CHALLENGER and ORANGE wave (today's music) warm-up
10:38 Start of elite men and CHALLENGER wave
10:42 Start of ORANGE wave (today's music)
10:47 WHITE wave (00's music) and BLUE wave (universities) warm-up
10:57 Start of WHITE wave (00's music)
11:02 Start of BLUE wave (universities)
11:07 GREEN wave (90's music) and PINK wave (70's & 80's music) warm-up
11:15 Start of GREEN wave (90's music)
11:20 Start of PINK wave (70's & 80's music) and PINK & WHITE wave (walking)

9 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

So do you choose your wave or get allocated?

For this one you chose which music wave you wanted to run in, so I chose 70s and 80s.

Are you looking to sign up for it?

58 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

For this one you chose which music wave you wanted to run in, so I chose 70s and 80s.

Yeah possibly.  Sacked off the Oxford one the week after (anticipated playoff hangover) but up at my parents this weekend. 

Didn't know about it until I saw your post.

3 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

Cheers mate, you too. I'm light years away from getting under 40 minutes, I'm working on getting under 50.

I've had the sniffles for a few months now, which I barely notice until I start running. I did a couple of miles last night and I had to gob every 30 seconds or so, I've left a trail. I don't really like leaving the pavement in a mess, but I'm struggling to breathe properly if I don't get it out. To be fair, most of it ended up dribbling down my chin or on my trainers. 

When you gotta spit you gotta spit. I just try to wait until no one is watching. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

That's hilarious. Are waves not related to your anticipated time at all? 

Sounds fun, hope it is! 

25 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Seriously? That's ridiculous. 

5 minutes ago, Danwichmann said:

That's hilarious. Are waves not related to your anticipated time at all? 

Sounds fun, hope it is! 

Nope, nothing to do with it.

I've no idea what goes in to organising an event like this but I'm guessing the whole point of waves is to ease congestion a bit and having 4 or 5 waves of mixed abilities is probably the best way to spread people across the course isn't it?

I don't know. I must admit it's the only event I know that doesn't base waves on anticipated times, so it is unusual.

Usually they try and do based on rough times, white, green, red and yellow pens have been my experience of 10ks. Whites for the proper runners, and then roughly the rest done on anticipated times.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

Nope, nothing to do with it.

I've no idea what goes in to organising an event like this but I'm guessing the whole point of waves is to ease congestion a bit and having 4 or 5 waves of mixed abilities is probably the best way to spread people across the course isn't it?

I don't know. I must admit it's the only event I know that doesn't base waves on anticipated times, so it is unusual.

From my experience of my one and only event I think it probably ends up as mixed ability even when it is done by time. I ended up under estimating myself when applying (although I don’t think it would have changed my wave), whereas lots must have put times much better than they would do as I was overtaking some I shouldn’t technically of caught at all, relatively early on. Especially as I started towards the back of my wave.

It’s got to be really frustrating sometimes for people going for PB’s. Having to overtake lots probably was a good thing for me though as it possibly slowed me down a touch and made me not go off too quick and regret it. 

• Like 3

That's true I think, even though you have your own chip times it helps not being stuck behind loads of people. I did the Newport 10k the other week and I was there quite early, ended up starting right near the front of the green pen. Whilst plenty of speedier people past me, I did find it easier going with fewer people in my way and knocked 4 min off my PB. ( Being fairly flat helped too! ) 

Yeah in my brief experience running those type of runs, whilst you do choose your own wave, you're meant to do it based on how fast you expect to win the race.

When I did the Manchester 10k it really hampered me because I deliberately went into a slower wave so I could start the run with my mate. I then spent the first kilometer zigzagging past all the slow runners 

3 hours ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

From my experience of my one and only event I think it probably ends up as mixed ability even when it is done by time. I ended up under estimating myself when applying (although I don’t think it would have changed my wave), whereas lots must have put times much better than they would do as I was overtaking some I shouldn’t technically of caught at all, relatively early on. Especially as I started towards the back of my wave.

It’s got to be really frustrating sometimes for people going for PB’s. Having to overtake lots probably was a good thing for me though as it possibly slowed me down a touch and made me not go off too quick and regret it. 

At Seoul marathon I got stuck in the slowest wave because of my only previous marathon was a 4 hour and 43 minute disaster. I spent the first 5km zigzagging all over the place, on the pavements, of the course, just trying to get through. Might have cracked the 3:30 mark if I'd started in a faster wave where most of the runners were running a similar pace. 

Wasn't too hot which was nice, plenty of shade around the course too. It was good fun. I ended up in the pink wave, I'm really sure how. Guess we were a little late into the start. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hogso said:

Wasn't too hot which was nice, plenty of shade around the course too. It was good fun. I ended up in the pink wave, I'm really sure how. Guess we were a little late into the start. 

I thought it was scorching! I was expecting a few more water stops, I didn’t think one at the 5k point was enough but other than that it was a great event. Birmingham really is beautiful in the sun.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 17/10/2017 at 09:17, Paddywhack said:

I've set myself some times to beat for 2018.

23 minute 5k/parkrun

50 minute 10k

2hr half marathon

5hr marathon

I thought these were quite reasonable goals, but 6 months in to the year and I haven’t managed one yet.

I ran the Two Castle 10k this morning in 50:49 though, so I got close.

I did the Worcester half marathon in 2:06:20 the other week, so over 6 minutes to knock down there.

I’m struggling to break 24 minutes at parkrun, let alone 23 and I’m not doing a marathon this year since the Brum one got cancelled.

I’m addicted and really enjoying my running at the moment, that’s the main thing! ?

• Like 4

I did Two Castles today too. That's a great time, I imagine you'd knock that minute off on a flatter course, somewhere like Draycote Water perhaps. 

• Like 1

Â