Running

trimandson

9 hours ago, Danwichmann said:

That sucks.

I was reading a couple of days ago that although the initial decline in running fitness is pretty fast, it slows pretty quickly, so since you've been out a couple of weeks already, the further time out now won't set you back loads further. May be some consolation.

Anyone use compression socks / tights? I've noticed a lot of people talking about / using them recently and wondering if it's worth it.

Cheers, pt today so slowly getting back hopefully. Spring marathon is this weekend so that DNS stings a little but que sera!

Not much to say about compression while running, but I very much recommend putting on a pair of calf sleeves after running. It doesn't have to be immediately after, but the difference in how beat up my calves would get after long runs or tempo sessions was amazing when I first stated doing it. Less, strains, knots and such nonsense too. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villakram said:

You did an awesome job! I'm sure it sucked, but that's definitely going to one of those memorable, remember '18 type races, especially with the legends who won it.

Thanks, I was super happy even though I missed my target by nearly a minute. The main thing I will take from it is after my absolute destruction (puke party) at NYC in November, I managed to put down a faster time than the female winner of NYC and only get chicked 5 times in total. :-)

Agree on the compression socks, I run in them on easy runs when my calves are playing silly buggers but wear them more post-run, especially post-racing.

Edited by andyjsg
changes
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ikantcpell said:

Am i the only one who dont care about the time when i run? I stop when i feel like i wanna throw up.

Iam a nature lover so i make sure i run were it's beautiful nature, and soak it all in.

I'm trying to make the switch from roads to trails, so trying to ignore my pace but it's an ingrained habit. I'm getting better but I can't help checking it.  When I'm on the road it's still all about pace and distance covered. 

I am really enjoying the nature on the trails but those hills are hard work.

23 minutes ago, Danwichmann said:

I'm trying to make the switch from roads to trails, so trying to ignore my pace but it's an ingrained habit. I'm getting better but I can't help checking it.  When I'm on the road it's still all about pace and distance covered. 

I am really enjoying the nature on the trails but those hills are hard work.

Yes it's much harder running on the trails but i dont mind, my biggest concern is all the wild boars that i keep running into, but they say they are only dangerous if you come between them and their kids.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Ikantcpell said:

Yes it's much harder running on the trails but i dont mind, my biggest concern is all the wild boars that i keep running into, but they say they are only dangerous if you come between them and their kids.

Where are you running? Great to see wildlife on the trail but it can be very scary, especially when there are no other people around.

I get chased by a lot of dogs, but that happens more on the roads than the trails.

10 hours ago, villan-scott said:

Completed The London Marathon today. Wow that heat was ridiculous! Time went out the window in the heat and my ITB giving up at 11 miles! But I got round! So chuffed! 

Congratulations! I hate running in the sun so hats off to you, that must have been tough.

VLM was good TV this year. I called the womens' result early on - when Keitany and Dibaba set that mad pace early on, I knew they'd blow up. Cheryuiot ran the clever race. In the mens', Mo Farah was never going to challenge someone as awesome as Kipchoge, but he did well to take 3rd. Not sure whether he's good enough at this distance to make the very top, but we'll see. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

VLM was good TV this year. I called the womens' result early on - when Keitany and Dibaba set that mad pace early on, I knew they'd blow up. Cheryuiot ran the clever race. In the mens', Mo Farah was never going to challenge someone as awesome as Kipchoge, but he did well to take 3rd. Not sure whether he's good enough at this distance to make the very top, but we'll see. 

Yeah really enjoyed it this year. Paulas record is safe for another year amazingly, they can't seem to get close. Farah did aswell as could be expected really, no shame in finishing 3rd.

11 hours ago, Danwichmann said:

Where are you running? Great to see wildlife on the trail but it can be very scary, especially when there are no other people around.

I get chased by a lot of dogs, but that happens more on the roads than the trails.

South of sweden, lot's of wonderful nature here.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

Yeah really enjoyed it this year. Paulas record is safe for another year amazingly, they can't seem to get close. Farah did aswell as could be expected really, no shame in finishing 3rd.

Getting close to Paula's EPO-land records is kinda worrying imho.

Farah might not be top top (sub2:04), but if he picks his races right and a little bit of luck, then there's no reasons he can't win a major or two (ala Meb for example).

1 hour ago, AVFCDAN said:

Can you elaborate? 

Paula had so many super high red blood cell counts, of course just due to her special training and marginal gains I suppose. This has all come to light in recent years and been downplayed as much as possible by the corrupt to the core IAAF.

This and Sir "I don't know Jama Aden" Mo being celebrated so... we're lucky we are so honest and hardworking <_<

Definitely addicted to this marathon lark, I have just removed myself from Ironman Weymouth 70.3 and taken a tour operator space for Berlin this year. I get like two more weeks of doing whatever before being back into marathon training again. Hopefully starting at a higher level of fitness will mean I am hitting marathon pace when I need to, not just in the last month of training.

• Like 3

Anybody doing the Birmingham 10k this weekend? Looks like it's going to be a nice warm one.

I'm hoping to knock 12 minutes off my time from last year, because I've actually been doing a bit of training this time.

13 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

Anybody doing the Birmingham 10k this weekend? Looks like it's going to be a nice warm one.

I'm hoping to knock 12 minutes off my time from last year, because I've actually been doing a bit of training this time.

Not in Brum but got a 10km in Seoul the following weekend. First 10k race since I first started running years ago, hoping to get under 40 mins but that may prove too ambitious.

Good luck in Birmingham, hope you smash it! 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Danwichmann said:

Not in Brum but got a 10km in Seoul the following weekend. First 10k race since I first started running years ago, hoping to get under 40 mins but that may prove too ambitious.

Good luck in Birmingham, hope you smash it! 

Cheers mate, you too. I'm light years away from getting under 40 minutes, I'm working on getting under 50.

I've had the sniffles for a few months now, which I barely notice until I start running. I did a couple of miles last night and I had to gob every 30 seconds or so, I've left a trail. I don't really like leaving the pavement in a mess, but I'm struggling to breathe properly if I don't get it out. To be fair, most of it ended up dribbling down my chin or on my trainers. 

• Haha 1

Â