Running

trimandson

finally got round to doing the cardiff parkrun. I've done a few 10ks so distance not an issue, but it was different going into thinking I should be pushing hard from the off - although always difficult in those first couple of hundred metres. My current PB for 10ks is 52 minutes so I was targeting 26 minutes here, and was 30 seconds over :rant: but it was a glorious day. Such nice weather and Bute Park is scenic. 

• Like 2

I went for my first run of any variety in over a year today. I definitely got a bit long term relationship comfortable and then my fitness went into the negatives when my missus got pregnant and we stopped walking the dogs every day.

A light jog, about 3km. I'm going to try to go 3-4 times a week.

I've started playing social basketball again but i've lost all acceleration and power in my legs. It's really bizarre. My mind thinks I can do things like move laterally and jump more than 2 inches off of the ground but my body just can't do it. I just really want to build up a bit of strength in my legs and tone up a bit. I'm definitely getting old man knees now as well, they feel good after the run but I actually need to warm up before a basketball game these days.

• Like 2

On 23/06/2018 at 12:38, Rodders said:

finally got round to doing the cardiff parkrun. I've done a few 10ks so distance not an issue, but it was different going into thinking I should be pushing hard from the off - although always difficult in those first couple of hundred metres. My current PB for 10ks is 52 minutes so I was targeting 26 minutes here, and was 30 seconds over :rant: but it was a glorious day. Such nice weather and Bute Park is scenic. 

Is that your first parkrun? If so your first one’s a freebie, I reckon you’ll smash your next one now you know what to expect. 

26 minutes is a decent time anyway.

excellent effort @hogso did my first ( and to date only! ) half last summer ( 2 hrs 20, you bastard :) ) It's tough work but very rewarding.

15 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

Is that your first parkrun? If so your first one’s a freebie, I reckon you’ll smash your next one now you know what to expect. 

26 minutes is a decent time anyway.

Yes, first parkrun, I didn't realise it went on every week either so plenty of opportunities to work on it. It looks like a good way of developing speed as so far, having only done 10ks or the half, I've been largely focused on pacing it round in quasi-survival mode!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, hogso said:

Lincoln 10k last weekend - hot. Black Country to Birmingham half marathon tomorrow - hotter! 

Yeah I'm doing that, it's going to be uncomfortable to say the least. Sunglasses, suncream, water and vaseline!

I'm in wave F, 10:20 start. I'm considering jogging Wolvo parkrun before heading over to the start, just to tick it off my list.

• Like 1

Wave H for me and the girly, I think. If I play my cards right it'll be a bite to eat and the match in brum after ?

• Like 1

Done in about 2 hours 40 today, those steep little bridges were horrible. Worked out great with regards to the football tho ?‍♂️

• Like 2

Another marathon in Seoul for me yesterday. Seriously hot so I've got some interesting tan (well, burn) lines today. Really struggled in the last 10km but just about managed to hold on and finish in under 4 hours.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/10/2017 at 09:17, Paddywhack said:

I've set myself some times to beat for 2018.

23 minute 5k/parkrun

50 minute 10k

2hr half marathon

5hr marathon

I got under 50 mins at Shrewsbury 10k today. So...

23min 5k ✅

50min 10k ✅

2hr HM ? (hopefully at the Great North Run)

5hr M ?‍♂️ (not doing one)

I like speaking in emojis.. ? ??

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Being not a local Villa fan I happened to be in Birmingham this weekend to visit Lego Discovery and Warwick Castle with the family so decided to do a 45 min run by the canal first thing sunday morning, was slightly surprised to be screamed at by a guy off his t*ts at 7am, otherwise enjoyed it and only had to dodge the odd cyclist.

• Like 2

Started getting into running about 6 years ago and have been on and off ever since. Highlight has been completing two half marathons.

I'm currently struggling for motivating to get back into once our football season over here finishes (approx 1 month). Anyone got some good tips to get the mojo back?

Havent ran since the snow, laziness, I guess. The weight started going on, a stone and a half. I ran 3 miles on monday and was dead at the end, I ran first thing without any food or drink. Did 4 miles today with hardly breaking a sweat and I put it down to having fruit before I ran. Its good to be doing it again.

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/08/2018 at 19:49, Hornso said:

Started getting into running about 6 years ago and have been on and off ever since. Highlight has been completing two half marathons.

I'm currently struggling for motivating to get back into once our football season over here finishes (approx 1 month). Anyone got some good tips to get the mojo back?

Sign up for a spring marathon. Pick somewhere worth going to for a weekend, and that doesn't mea you have to do a huge one as they come with huge pricetags... grumble, grumble.

You get back into things over the next few months, enjoy crimbo and then prepare for pain and suffering that you pay to take part in. Makes sense. 

• Like 1

On 08/08/2018 at 09:49, Hornso said:

I love to listen to motivational speakers while I'm preparing for and during a workout. You'll need to find the ones that work for you. For me, the ones with an emphasis on competing with yourself, spirituality and philosophy work  best. Drill sergeants alone don't do it for me. I've only come across two who work with elite athletes that are on my playlist, they are Eric Thomas and Ray Lewis.

I need to start running more than I do outside of basketball.

I enjoyed a good pre-season last season, was getting minutes in games and performing better than ever under this coach and team, then I copped an injury, six months long. A brief return to my team and I didn't cut the mustard (I think the Brits say) but have a place in next seasons plans provided I work on my defense. Which involves footwork, agility training and I'd like to run for 45 minutes flat so I am on point for fast-breaks over 40 minutes. As it is, I can run 4km before I cark it and need to rest. Not great for a semi-pro but that's where I'm at.

Pre-season is weeks away. Any pointers on increasing my distance covered, or recommended agility training programs? I see there are a few on here (kudos) who are running the duration which I aspire to, any pointers would be appreciated!

14 hours ago, A'Villan said:

I love to listen to motivational speakers while I'm preparing for and during a workout. You'll need to find the ones that work for you. For me, the ones with an emphasis on competing with yourself, spirituality and philosophy work  best. Drill sergeants alone don't do it for me. I've only come across two who work with elite athletes that are on my playlist, they are Eric Thomas and Ray Lewis.

I need to start running more than I do outside of basketball.

I enjoyed a good pre-season last season, was getting minutes in games and performing better than ever under this coach and team, then I copped an injury, six months long. A brief return to my team and I didn't cut the mustard (I think the Brits say) but have a place in next seasons plans provided I work on my defense. Which involves footwork, agility training and I'd like to run for 45 minutes flat so I am on point for fast-breaks over 40 minutes. As it is, I can run 4km before I cark it and need to rest. Not great for a semi-pro but that's where I'm at.

Pre-season is weeks away. Any pointers on increasing my distance covered, or recommended agility training programs? I see there are a few on here (kudos) who are running the duration which I aspire to, any pointers would be appreciated!

Zero magic or secret sauce.

Consistency is the key as the body is amazing in how it can adapt to stimulus. Run by time instead of distance and challenge yourself, i.e., 25mins most days, but then a 40min run. As you adapt increase to an hour. Keep the runs at a comfortable pace and your body will respond.

• Thanks 1

I've ran every day so far this month - not long distances by any means, but 2km as a minimum. From my legs feeling really quite heavy at the end of the first week, they're great now. Very quick recovery after longer runs. 

The girly has been trying to encourage her mum and sister to get into running to aid their current weight loss regime. As such, we've signed up to a few 5k races to bring them along to recently. Mostly 'fun run' kind of things. 

Yesterday was the Subway Healthy Hearts 5k (or something like that) at Cannon Hill park. It rained terribly for the whole race, I was absolutely drenched, although I did do sub 25 mins, which I was aiming for. Thank goodness I took a change of clothes! 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Started running last week again. Had this weekend off, but try and go most mornings. Just a casual 20 min jog around the estate. No timing, no desire to try and run big distances, just happy running casually to give me a good start to the day. If I get time, I may up the distance on a weekend. I'm also walking to work every morning, instead of a lift, so that takes me 15 minutes. I think I enjoy the walk over the run tbf ?

• Like 3

Â