Running

trimandson

Hehe, very pleased Ive kept my 100% record of 3 (road) marathons (Ironman doesnt count) and all under 3 hours and hope to do the same again in NYC in November although may use this to test a new strategy of basically taking a gel at the start and one after 6 miles then just water for the rest of the race.

A few days rest then some light running and some cycling as I have a week cycling in Mallorca mid-May and havent been on my bike since Xmas, then Im going to spend the summer trying to get my 5K/Parkrun/10K time down some more.

Talking of the London Marathon:

'Gorilla man' still crawling London Marathon

A man crawling the London Marathon dressed as a gorilla is approaching the course's half-way point, two days after the race began.

Tom Harrison - who calls himself Mr Gorilla - is aiming to complete the 26.2 mile route on his hands and knees, "gorilla-style", in aid of The Gorilla Organization.

The charity's director said she was "so proud of him".

When not dressed as an ape, the north London father-of-two is a policeman.

Setting off at about 08:00 BST each morning, Mr Gorilla is expected to finish the marathon on Thursday or Friday.

Mr Gorilla is no stranger to fundraising challenges in his furry black costume.

He ran last year's marathon in the suit and in January this year, he swam in the Thames.

It is all in aid of the Gorilla Organization - a conservation charity with projects in Rwanda, Uganda and the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Charity director, Jillian Miller, called him one of the charity's "top fundraisers".

She said: "He's one of those incredible people - when he sets his mind to something, he's going to do it."

Mr Gorilla has aimed to raise £2,000, which Ms Miller said would pay for at least three months worth of supplies and salaries for a team of rangers protecting gorillas in Eastern Congo.

I know Tom. I knew he ran it in the Gorilla costume last year. Didn't know he was doing this, though. :)

Re: the guy been helped over the finish line ......I have been tagged in the vid a few times about how great the "spirit of the marathon" is ..... I cant be the only one who would have told that guy to piss off ....im like 200m from the finish line ....worked my ass off in training ...I would rather have crawled to the finish then be helped over the line .....like the dude didnt even let him cross the line under his own steam 

Nah that dude was cooked, he had colapsed on the floor once already and couldnt hold himself up, he would of been dragged off the course by St Johns if he hadnt been dragged over the line. I could see this all going on as I came round the corner and wasnt feeling great as had about 100 people pass me running up past St James Park and then basically thought "at least Im not that dude", but looking at the video, he is the only one slower than me going down the final straight :-)

On 25/04/2017 at 08:07, andyjsg said:

Hehe, very pleased Ive kept my 100% record of 3 (road) marathons (Ironman doesnt count) and all under 3 hours and hope to do the same again in NYC in November although may use this to test a new strategy of basically taking a gel at the start and one after 6 miles then just water for the rest of the race.

You thought about trying something like Tailwind Andy? I've not tried it myself but I've heard good things, seems to be easier on the system than gels.

On the subject of the guy being helped over the line - I did find the tweets from VLM a little odd, stating that this kind of thing is 'what the London Marathon is all about'. Might seem harsh but I'm fairly certain according to the rules it's a DNF, and I think people's opinions might differ if it was Mary Keitany being helped over the last 200m to a new WR. Besides, like Meath said I wouldn't want the help, if I can't finish then that's my own fault.

Edited by Delphouneso

Another thing to try is to slow way down. I've had problems with gu for the past couple of marathons where they would give me cramps, but I changed my strategy after a suggestion from elsewhere this cycle. This marathon I had gu at 6/12/16/20/24 miles with no problems whatsoever. The trick was to eat them super slow, where it typically took me 0.5-1mile after opening it to finish. Maybe obvious and so bloody simple but works wonders!

I'm starting a training plan today to run a half marathon in October. I've downloaded the Asics running app that has set me up at day one jog for half a mile. I'm 33 and i've spent the last 15 years drinking and partying. I'm bricking it

Well after 5 half marathons and a handful of 10ks, I think it's time for me to fail...I mean attempt to run a full marathon, so I'm signing up to the Brum one in October.

I never trained for those runs, I just turned up and struggled for most of them and afterwards wished I had trained so I could have got a better time. Obviously I can't do that for a marathon and it's that that's always put me off. I'm not very committed and I tend to lose interest, but I've printed out a 24 week training plan and I'm hoping to stick to it, starting tonight.

6 minutes ago, mrchnry said:

I'm starting a training plan today to run a half marathon in October. I've downloaded the Asics running app that has set me up at day one jog for half a mile. I'm 33 and i've spent the last 15 years drinking and partying. I'm bricking it

Well that was funny timing with my above post.

Good luck with it :thumb:

After three weeks off with Labyrinthitis/Vertigo I went for my first run back yesterday. Feel like I've lost three months worth of fitness not three weeks.

I've got a race in two weeks, only a half but it's a trail half in the Brecons (15mi and 4000ft of gain). Debating whether or not to run it, I think I can get race credit if I withdraw within the next five days.

I've never felt like I've dropped this much fitness this fast before, but then due to the nature of Labyrinthitis I've basically spent the last three weeks completely sedentary.

Any advice? How much fitness am I likely to get back in a little under two weeks? I felt like a beginner again yesterday, really frustrating 'cause I was getting close to pretty good shape before hand.

So Kipchoge ran 2:00:25 at the Breaking2 attempt. Have to say beforehand I wasn't all that interested in what's essentially a marketing stunt by Nike to sell more shoes (and I've no doubt it'll work) but curiosity got the better of me and I was thoroughly impressed.

The lead up to this was all about Nike, on the day it was all about Eliud Kipchoge. The time is irrelevant, with all the assistance it's difficult to say what kind of time this would translate to in an actual race environment, but it's always impressive to watch one of the greatest marathoners of all time leave everything on the track.

I just hope this doesn't encourage more attempts, as a one off spectacle it was fun to watch but I can see us ending up with time trial after time trial now until someone breaks two hours.

15 hours ago, Meath_Villan said:

Anyone any experience with the Lidl crivit pro tri suit .....need to get two for training signed up for this bad boy .......http://gaelforceevents.com/en/gaelforce-north

Shh you are not allowed to talk about triathlon, they get upset :-)

No idea on the Lidl one, but I hear good things about the DHB one on wiggle and its pretty reasonable - I would recommend 2XU in the sale though if you can pick it up,

Â