Running

trimandson

On 4 June 2016 at 21:34, darrenm said:

Saw you doing bricks today :-)

Yeah loved it. Weather certainly helped. Out of every person today, I was 1700 pit of 2000 in the water, 100 out of 2000 on the bike and 160ish on the run. 270 overall. I must have been almost last out of the water and then overtook most of my wave on the bike and run :-)

Doing Olympic distance next month. That may suit me better but wow I'm currently fat and I've got a _lot_ to lose.

All the best with yours next weekend.

This is the thing I don’t like about triathlon; its so over balanced to running. I know the reason they have it in that order (for safety), but would love to have it in a different order, and also increase the length of swim (would also like the removal of wet suits and the force introduction of breast stroke!!). Have been tempted by the Alpe d’huez by the nature of the parlours, but too many other fun challenges before then...

• Like 1

Eventually about 3010 out of 4000 in the swim, 150 on the bike and 400ish on the run. Overall 400ish.

There's a local triathlon around here called isoman. They equal the swim out to the bike and run. It's not for me :-)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PauloBarnesi said:

This is the thing I don’t like about triathlon; its so over balanced to running. I know the reason they have it in that order (for safety), but would love to have it in a different order, and also increase the length of swim (would also like the removal of wet suits and the force introduction of breast stroke!!). Have been tempted by the Alpe d’huez by the nature of the parlours, but too many other fun challenges before then...

Maybe we should have a separate thread for triathalons? I hate swimming and cycling! 

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, villakram said:

17:54 5k this am, pretty chuffed as it's my first time under 18min.

Nice work fella.

I seem to be slowing down since throwing all the multi-sport stuff into the mix.

Another sunday, another race for me - this time a trail half marathon, tried the course out a few weeks ago and it is tough so should be a fun morning out, lets see where my legs are after last weeks Half Ironman and another weeks worth of Ironman training....

On 18 June 2016 at 17:46, villakram said:

17:54 5k this am, pretty chuffed as it's my first time under 18min.

Bloody hell, Ive started walking 3 miles a day from 1/6/16 after putting on 2 and half stone in two years since knocking the smoking on the head, 

This week I've started to combine in jogging and I'm probably at 50% of each for the route and it takes me 45mins to walk/run.

You must be super human fit pal, Saying that I've done little to none exercise for at least 2 years and that includes walking as i drive everywhere and then I'm either office or site based throughout the working day. 

I hopeful of running the route 100% by two weeks time without having to stop and blow out my arse. (bar the finish line)

Have peeps any start up tips for a rookie and save me having an heart attack :D 

TIA

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kingman said:

Bloody hell, Ive started walking 3 miles a day from 1/6/16 after putting on 2 and half stone in two years since knocking the smoking on the head, 

This week I've started to combine in jogging and I'm probably at 50% of each for the route and it takes me 45mins to walk/run.

You must be super human fit pal, Saying that I've done little to none exercise for at least 2 years and that includes walking as i drive everywhere and then I'm either office or site based throughout the working day. 

I hopeful of running the route 100% by two weeks time without having to stop and blow out my arse. (bar the finish line)

TIA

Consistent effort trumps all.

Slowly increase the number of miles and the number of days per week, e.g., start with Sat or Sun plus T/Th. Then add in a second day on the weekend and then wed, but only if you really really want to. There is nothing at all wrong with run/walk until your body catches up with what your mind wants. It's also probably better to think in terms of time rather than miles when you start out.

Good luck mate! You've made a great change and I think you'll find it very rewarding as your body starts to figure it out.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Kingman said:

TIA

You have taken the hardest step by making a start mate so well done.

I think as Villakram said just build up slowly. You try and progress too quickly then you risk injuring yourself. If you are jogging/walking 3 mile at the moment and it is taking you 45 minutes then I would continue to go out for 45 minutes but just try to increase the jogging and reduce the walking over time. Aim for maybe getting up to doing 4 mile with in the next 8 weeks. Once your jogging for the whole 45 mins then look to increase the time you are out at say a rate of 10 mins a week until you get to a time that suits you and what you want to achieve.

If you are just looking for now at this as a way to help you lose weight then I would say getting up to doing around an hour to 80 mins 3 or 4 times a week would be something you should aim for.

There are some great people in this thread who can advise you. I am an amateur compared to most in here and only took up running about 3 years ago and before that was using a stationary bike to provide cardio alongside weight training. I have found running a great way to keep fit though and help keep the pounds off.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Kingman said:

TIA

You have found yourself a great new hobby, well done!

I've been running for 2 years on and off and there is no better exercise, if you want to lose a couple of stone you should achieve that within the next 6-12 months. Keep your diet reasonable and get out 3 times a week and the weight will fly off.

Also remember that we all have different levels of ability, some of the guys on here would leave me in their dust with the times they run. My times aren't great but I never was trying to be a competitive runner, its all about trying to be as healthy as possible. I can go out and do a 10k on a Tuesday evening after work and that's a great feeling.

• Like 2

Thanks Gents think i may have spoken to soon. 

Woke up this morning with a right pain in the inside of of my right knee down to the the top of my shin, was a struggle to put weight on it for the first half of the morning and I'm now left with a dull ache like I've been kicked in both shins. 

Suffice to say i couldn't run this evening so reverted back to walking of which its taken me bang on an hour to do the usual 3m route.  

I Said to myself i wanted to lose 3 stone in 3 months, might seem a lot but when you do the calcs its a little over 3lbs a week and seems achievable. 

Ive knocked all takeaways on the head, well I've had a mini fish and chips last Friday and a King prawn omelette with chips and rice from the Chinese the weekend before, Prior to that i had been having three takeaways a week either dominoes with sides, chinese/indian or Chip shop job for god knows how long. Have also stopped having bread and toast completely and no more deserts after dinner, some days i could do a large ben and jerrys if the misses hadn't stopped me.

On 1/6/16 i was 100.4kg and of this AM i was 95.5kg, my target for 1/7/16 is 94.3kg and thats the first stone in the first month. 

Week one i walked 2m every day, Week two i walked 3m every day, Week three i walked 3m for three days and walk/jog 3m for the final 4 days of the week. 

Was hoping to implement some of your suggested strategies this week but don't know whats happened to my knee/shins so reverted back to walking tonight, 

Although I've only been back in the game :D for 4 running days i was gutted i couldn't run this evening, In fact i was actually surprised at how pi55ed off i was because i couldn't run. 

Hope my knee fixes quick i really want to make a go of this now.

That's completely normal... welcome to running :)

What you'll find is that every weird thing from your pelvis to your toes will be revealed by running, but don't worry too much. When it hurts, that's just your body saying "wow there", take it back a step and then when you're pain free build on top again.

On 27 June 2016 at 21:05, Kingman said:

Although I've only been back in the game :D for 4 running days i was gutted i couldn't run this evening, In fact i was actually surprised at how pi55ed off i was because i couldn't run. 

Hope my knee fixes quick i really want to make a go of this now.

Injuries are incredibly frustrating (I've been nursing a stress fracture for two months now and I'm still a way off running again) but as Villakram says above it's usually your body telling you you've done too much and to take it easy for a while.

I've found the best way to deal with it and stay motivated is to keep myself occupied. When I get the urge to go out for a run I'll go for a walk or get on my bike and go for a ride instead, or I'll take it as an opportunity to focus on some of those things I all too often neglect whilst I'm not injured. So for example I'm currently spending a lot of time researching and reading about better running form, looking at how I can improve my diet, and really trying to get into the habit of doing those strengthening exercises I know I should be doing a lot more regularly.

There are some really good running books and films as well if you start to feel like you need a bit more motivation.

• Like 1

Would be interesting to know proven diets for running, All I've done is cut out 95% of the above crap along with bread, chips and daily packets of crisps. 

I've mainly replaced it with sweet potatoes, sea bass, chicken and salads but have to be honest it's pretty boring. 

All that combined with a 3m daily walk/jog (back to walking at mo as my knee is still to moody to run)

Saying that it seems to be working, On the 1/6/16 I was 100.4kg and as of this AM (30/6/16) I was 94.7kg.

Edited by Kingman

Â