Running

trimandson

Just now, Delphouneso said:

I admire your optimism Mooney but some of the greatest athletes in history can't get anywhere near the nigh on twenty year old (highly suspect) 2:15 of Ms Radcliffe, but we're going to surpass it and then take close to 10% off that in the next 10 years? It's taken in excess of 50 years to take the equivalent off the Men's record.

Well, we'll see. 

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Well, we'll see. 

Why though? I realise my post may have come across as dismissive rather than curious, I should rephrase: what makes you think the women's record is going to go <2:00 within the next ten years?

As I said the likes of Dibaba and Cheruiyot - both superior athletes to Paula on the track - can't get within 2 minutes of the current WR, where do you think they're going to find those 17 minutes from? I appreciate we can never really predict when the next big breathrough is gonna come, and I guess we haven't really had one since altitude, but to assume one is round the corner is speculative at best, and without looking at the data I doubt any great breakthroughs - barring the early revelations that training helps you run faster and drinking water isn't just for pussies - have managed to bridge a gap anything like 10%. Given similar artificial conditions to today's effort it's not unreasonable to think someone like Mary Keitany could go <2:15, but that's still a lot of ground to make up.

Again I don't mean to come across as dismissive, it's a subject I find fascinating and I'm genuinely curious to know your reasoning.

I see his pacemakers all made it over the line straight after him. Have they all broken the 2 hour barrier or do they come and go out of the race as and when needed? 

13 hours ago, Xela said:

I see his pacemakers all made it over the line straight after him. Have they all broken the 2 hour barrier or do they come and go out of the race as and when needed? 

They were rolling subs, no one else ran a marathon.

That’s one reason it wasn’t a World Record attempt, as well as the car and laser pacing, delivered drinks and not an open competition.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 1

On 12/10/2019 at 13:36, Delphouneso said:

Why though? I realise my post may have come across as dismissive rather than curious, I should rephrase: what makes you think the women's record is going to go <2:00 within the next ten years?

As I said the likes of Dibaba and Cheruiyot - both superior athletes to Paula on the track - can't get within 2 minutes of the current WR, where do you think they're going to find those 17 minutes from? I appreciate we can never really predict when the next big breathrough is gonna come, and I guess we haven't really had one since altitude, but to assume one is round the corner is speculative at best, and without looking at the data I doubt any great breakthroughs - barring the early revelations that training helps you run faster and drinking water isn't just for pussies - have managed to bridge a gap anything like 10%. Given similar artificial conditions to today's effort it's not unreasonable to think someone like Mary Keitany could go <2:15, but that's still a lot of ground to make up.

Again I don't mean to come across as dismissive, it's a subject I find fascinating and I'm genuinely curious to know your reasoning.

Kosgei smashed the record today. So it’s a start in the right direction 

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy, quick question... 

Should my runs be longer and slower or shorter and faster? 

There's massive room for improvement, my current 5k is 29 mins and my 10k (furthest I've ran) is 1hr 5 mins. Currently doing 2 short runs and 1 long run a week.

Edited by MCU

9 hours ago, MCU said:

Howdy, quick question... 

There's massive room for improvement, my current 5k is 29 mins and my 10k (furthest I've ran) is 1hr 5 mins. Currently doing 2 short runs and 1 long run a week.

Depends what your goal is, but intervals and gym leg work to build speed and 02 capacity, with the occassional longer run to build endurance? 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MCU said:

Howdy, quick question... 

Both. Do easy long and intervals and you will see an improvement.

i managed a 2 for 2 on world records. I was at Berlin when Eliud smashed it last year and in Chicago this year. Shame I didn’t turn up To perform at either but it is what it is. Been a bad year for injuries for me, got another marathon in a few weeks but my injuries seem to be getting worse not better. 

• Like 1

On 26/10/2019 at 15:33, andyjsg said:

Both. Do easy long and intervals and you will see an improvement.

i managed a 2 for 2 on world records. I was at Berlin when Eliud smashed it last year and in Chicago this year. Shame I didn’t turn up To perform at either but it is what it is. Been a bad year for injuries for me, got another marathon in a few weeks but my injuries seem to be getting worse not better. 

Thanks. Sounds like you're elite mate! 💪

I did a kind of interval 5km today where I was speeding up and slowing down runs. Felt way more comfortable than my usual struggle of a run so a real sign of my fitness improving. Just a shame my watched paused the workout halfway through so couldn't track the time. Gonna attempt another long distance tomorrow.. 

Edited by MCU

• 3 months later...
On 25/10/2019 at 22:10, MCU said:

Howdy, quick question... 

I'm far FAR from an expert, but a few years back I was about the same standard as you.

The way I personally got faster was 3 runs a week. First would be a shorter run but fast. So say a 5 or 6k run but at a sub 1hour 10k pace (to start with)

2nd run would be the same distance but an easier pace, kind of a recovery run but keeps the legs and lungs working.

3rd run would be a 10k with the target to get a bit faster each week.

I eventually got from the same sort of time as you down to anywhere between 50 and 55 minutes for a training 10k. And it culminated in a 44 min 10k on race day.

Like I said I am far from an expert, and it's a long time since I ran anywhere close to those times. There's probably better ways to go about it, but that worked for me personally

On 01/05/2019 at 08:37, Stevo985 said:

Signed up to a Wolf Run in June, 10k. So went out last night for my first training run.

**** me I'm unfit.

I've never been a great runner, but considering I used to post in here about my 10 mile runs and my 40 minute 10k's, last night was a wake up call about how far I've fallen.

Did 3 miles, but walked a lot. Took me over 35 minutes and didn't even make it to a mile before I had to walk (and I was only running a 10 minute mile until then anyway!)

Got a lot of training to do

On 03/06/2019 at 09:13, Stevo985 said:

So the training went well. I didn't have long to train but I managed to get myself up to a fairly slow 7k (44 mins) with some left in the tank.

Then I did the Wolf Run yesterday.

**** me it was hard! I mean I knew it would be hard but I didn't realise how draining it would be compared to a normal run. I think our time was about 1 hour 50. 
It was a lot of fun. But I am totally **** today.

Been running off and on since these posts. Can't believe it's been 7-8 months since them!

I'm a mile away from where I used to be and struggling to add distance to my runs. I kind of top out at 6k.

I did a 10k in October in Sutton Park and came in JUST over an hour, like 13 seconds or something (although my strava said it was longer than 10k and my actual 10k time was under an hour, but I'm not bitter). But it was absolutely everything I had. I don't think I've ever run a race where I didn't have enough in the tank for a sprint finish, but that was definitely one of them. I had nothing left coming over the line. I used my last ounce of strength to wave at @lp_villa830 as we passed each other on the course :)

I had a couple of weeks off after that and since then I've been in a bit of a rut. ONe day I'll go out and do 5k around Sutton and absolutely smash it (relatively speaking). Then a couple of days later I'll go out and attempt 6k and be dying. Seem to be very up and down. As a result I'm still circling around that 5 or 6k mark.

The same Sutton 10k run is coming around again Feb 22nd. I've entered but feel totally unprepared for it. So much so I'm thinking of not doing it :( 
Targeting the Great Birmingham 10k in May as a realistic goal for a post 30 years old PB :D 

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Been running off and on since these posts. Can't believe it's been 7-8 months since them!

I'm a mile away from where I used to be and struggling to add distance to my runs. I kind of top out at 6k.

I did a 10k in October in Sutton Park and came in JUST over an hour, like 13 seconds or something (although my strava said it was longer than 10k and my actual 10k time was under an hour, but I'm not bitter). But it was absolutely everything I had. I don't think I've ever run a race where I didn't have enough in the tank for a sprint finish, but that was definitely one of them. I had nothing left coming over the line. I used my last ounce of strength to wave at @lp_villa830 as we passed each other on the course :)

I had a couple of weeks off after that and since then I've been in a bit of a rut. ONe day I'll go out and do 5k around Sutton and absolutely smash it (relatively speaking). Then a couple of days later I'll go out and attempt 6k and be dying. Seem to be very up and down. As a result I'm still circling around that 5 or 6k mark.

The same Sutton 10k run is coming around again Feb 22nd. I've entered but feel totally unprepared for it. So much so I'm thinking of not doing it :( 
Targeting the Great Birmingham 10k in May as a realistic goal for a post 30 years old PB :D 

I'll give you another wave...

Really struggled for motivation so far this year, hoping the 10k will get me back in the groove. Custard Creams have been my down fall, need to knock them on the head to get any improvement on my current times I think. 

• Like 1

Â