Running

trimandson

44 minutes ago, Mozzavfc said:

Did my first 1/2 marathon today in 2:14

Not too bad seeing my mate who I was running with wanted to stop every 100m or so 

Training together is one thing. But on race day, Run Your Own Race. 

• Like 1

Got the monkey off my back and ran a decent marathon on Sunday; 3.25.59, 17 minutes off Brighton time. Was doing about 40 miles a week, one long run, plus tempo run, but no speed work. You definitely need the speed work to get faster. Now dithering about doing another one, didn’t get in London, so looking at the options (one thing is for sure I am NOT doing Brighton) for the spring. Or maybe just stick to halfs, and try to get below 1.29.

• Like 4

Recently completed the Yorkshire Marathon doing it in 3.19 which i was pleased with, aiming before 3.30 after last years Bristol hilly one i did in 3.44. The Yorkshire one was a lot harder, doing a quicker pace throughout defiantly made the last 6 miles horrible to be perfectly honest.

Week before that i did the Lincoln Half and got my PB for the Half marathon of 1.32.

Not sure what to do now, training for marathons takes 12 weeks running 3 times a week and after a while i get busy, so might just stick to halfs.

• Like 2

Interesting how HM times compare with fulls.

Like yours, Paul. I got to 1.30 when I was getting quite quick. That was in preparation for VLM where my body wasn't capable of sustaining 7.15/mile longer than 15 ish miles and fell apart after 20 bringing me in at 3.33. So if you've got a 1.29 HM then I'd expect you're capable of a 3.10-3.15.

VF1970, a 3.19 marathon should maybe put you quicker than 1.32 for a half.

I suppose it's just different people are built better for different distances.

Anyway. Running year next year for me. Only incidental bike activities. I'll be hitting a spring marathon so either Manchester or Brighton. Then Birmingham in the Autumn. Need to lose about 2 stone to get competitive though :(

6 hours ago, PauloBarnesi said:

Got the monkey off my back and ran a decent marathon on Sunday; 3.25.59, 17 minutes off Brighton time. Was doing about 40 miles a week, one long run, plus tempo run, but no speed work. You definitely need the speed work to get faster. Now dithering about doing another one, didn’t get in London, so looking at the options (one thing is for sure I am NOT doing Brighton) for the spring. Or maybe just stick to halfs, and try to get below 1.29.

Milton Keynes (full and half) is quite fast and is on the May bank holiday, still my fastest marathon time....

21 hours ago, PauloBarnesi said:

Great time. I was fine until last four miles, and then just couldn’t find anything left. Really cocked up hydration and refuelling; Abingdon only had cups for most of the drink stations, which I find impossible to deal with unless you walk through.

I’m not sure if that was my issue or not, just the last 5 or so miles my legs just hurt, lactic acid i dunno or just not used to running that distance. I wasn’t out of breath or founding breathing hard, my legs were just killing. Literally felt that each mile took 30 mins, but looking at my times i was still going an okay pace to say they were killing.

18 hours ago, Nicho said:

Anyone got any recommendations for strengthening my knee after cruciate and cartilage injuries?

I picked up a slight knee injury recently and I've been doing as has been suggested above: cycling, squats. I've also been using resistance bands for a few different stretches, sitting on a chair and doing leg lifts with the band around the chair leg and your ankle is a simple but effective stretch. There are loads of different routines on YouTube as well.

5 hours ago, Meath_Villan said:

Got one hell of a calf cramp yesterday simply walking, sore today with the Marathon on Sunday should I get it worked on or just r&r hydrate and ice 

Hydrate and find a tennis ball, sit on your arse on the floor and let that get right into where it cramped (morn & night, before stretching). Easy stretch it a few times a day and if you need ice to calm it down before bed or after a run, do it. Good luck.

If that doesn't work, amputate :trollface:

Edited by villakram
edit: all the silly whitespace
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, villakram said:

Hydrate and find a tennis ball, sit on your arse on the floor and let that get right into where it cramped (morn & night, before stretching). Easy stretch it a few times a day and if you need ice to calm it down before bed or after a run, do it. Good luck.

If that doesn't work, amputate :trollface:

Cheers man just of the phone to the Physio who fixed my knee problems he's 100% convinced is phantom pains ...but still hydrate and stretch 

7 hours ago, Meath_Villan said:

Cheers man just of the phone to the Physio who fixed my knee problems he's 100% convinced is phantom pains ...but still hydrate and stretch 

you're haunted... halloween sorted!

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't ran or done any exercise since about June this year. I'm now the fattest/heaviest I've ever been. Starting training again today, go to go right back to start and do "Couch to 5k" again I think, can't believe I've let it slip so much :(

Â