Team Versus Hamburg

villa89

Should we ...  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Should we ...

• Rest the first teamers - we're already through
    • Play the first teamers to try and win the group

Could a mod add a poll to this please.

I just want to gauge opinions about the Hamburg game after last night's loss. The question is simple should we rest all the first teamers as we have already qualified or should we play the first teamers and try to win the group?

My personal opinion is that we should send the kids and leave all first teamers at home. We need all our best players for the hectic Xmas period and we have nobody to fear in the UEFA cup draw regardless of whether we finish 1st, 2nd or 3rd in the group. Obviously some teams would be hard to beat if we drew them but I think its worth the risk.

BOF : Poll added

send a balanced team but use it to rest others. im sure Hamburg will as well. In the next round, personally i want the strongest opposition possible.

:? why?

surely you want to win the competition, and therefore meet as few big teams as possible?

One things for sure - if we put out the 11 players who played last night then Hamburg will destroy us.

We need to win this group so I hope for a stronger line-up - although im also cautious of tiring out players for the saturday evening game with West Ham.

I don't mind a small bit of rotation for this game given the demanding xmas schedule, but if we play a team like last night I'll be very disappointed, and i'll feel very sorry for those making the trip out there.

with the very important Arse game a week or so later and the xmas fixtures then the team will similar to yesterday and that is how it should be, far too many people are fixatated with the position in the league and I don;t think MON give's a monkey's hence the team yesterday because to play the stronger team yesterday makes far more sense

Well the thing is this is a big game (In terms of the teams, not the importance anymore) and I know if I was playing for Aston Villa and this was my first time in European compeitition I would want to play. Young/Gabby/Laursen and a few others will all WANT to play no matter what IMO.

I personally believe we should have gone all out to win last nights match and then rest our players for the Hamburg match - but what do I know.

To be honest, would it really be a bad thing if we did get drawn against a European giant ? The atmosphere against Ajax was fantastic, and as such the players responded and the best team possible was fielded. Last night against a poorer team, the atmosphere was pretty crap, and the performance matched.

Therefore, in answer to the question at the beginning of this thread. Field a team of reserves, therefore resting some of the first teamers, if they respond and win, then we top the group. if we lose and come third, then at least we get a great atmosphere in the knock out stage - but sadly with the home leg being played first

Finishing 5th is our priority. Anything else is a bonus.

What is the point in playing a strong team in Hamburg in what is essentially a meaningless game, tiring out our players and possibly costing us 3/6 points in the league because of it.

UEFA cup is all well and good, but I wouldnt start taking it really seriously until the quater finals.

Otherwise we could end up doing what sooo many other teams have done, having a decent run in the uefa cup and then failing to qualify for it the next season.

The whole point of our progression this season is to consolodate our position as a top 5/6 club in the premier league and prove we can cope with two games in a week.

its a marathan, not a sprint. lets concentrate on becomming a top premier league club first!

Did you notice at times yesterday he was sat down in the dugout for league games he WOULD NEVER do that, says it all

To be fair the UEFA fourth Official kept making him sit down, you could see MON shouting at him on the telly and the poor UEFA official looking like a rabbit caught in the headlights. :D

I really want us to put a strong side out for this one..dont want to see us finishing 3rd really.

Also, i had a German friend once who was an Hamburg fan and i was always talking Villa up to him..i hope we can go there and show them what we can do on our day.

This is a good opportunity to rest some players, and give others some needed experience against quality opposition.

I'd start

The Hare

The Fonz

Gardner

Salifou

Osbourne

Milner

Shorey

Knight

Davies

NRC

Guzan