I Met A Girl In Nashville She Was A Rodeo Queen, We Fell In Love On Horseback....

VillaRob

• 18 years later...

Not going to lie, I didn't think for a second that such a topic would exist, but to roll the dice and to bounce it up a little so I can find it when I need to. 

Elle King, she has dabbled with pop, and is at the pop end of country, but I like the pop end of country. She is the comedy actor Rob Scheiders daughter and her last album, Come and Get Your Wife will feature in my year end list. This is a song with Dierks Bentley, who I like a lot so this song had everything I like in it, cowritten with Shane McAnally, so thats another bonus.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Can you spot all his vocal impersonations? 

I doubt I got all of them but Hank Williams, Cash's guitar posturing, George Jones, Willie Nelson, Faron Young and Porter Wagoner. I hadn't seen that before. Very good.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I doubt I got all of them but Hank Williams, Cash's guitar posturing, George Jones, Willie Nelson, Faron Young and Porter Wagoner. I hadn't seen that before. Very good.

I think there's a bit of Jimmie Dale Gilmore in there, too. 

I always liked songs which told a story when I was a kid, which often meant country music, but then I quickly learned that country was not only uncool but beyond the pale, when I was in my youth.

Much later, I was amazed to find, while reading biographies of respected rock icons, that they had been influenced by country stars.

Every time I hear Elvis Costello's version of Good Year for the Roses, I am amazed at what a great song it is.

These days I can't decide where country starts or where it stops.

• Like 2

Absolute rock the other day , went through songs "now playing " on our sister stations  .. for Absolute country they said  xxxx by Taylor Swift  .. I assumed she was pop for people that don't like music  .. but is she also a country star ? 

19 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Absolute rock the other day , went through songs "now playing " on our sister stations  .. for Absolute country they said  xxxx by Taylor Swift  .. I assumed she was pop for people that don't like music  .. but is she also a country star ? 

Was a country star, again at the pop end but made the switch to pop music. Some might say she was responsible for the creep of pop music into the country genre, thats nonsense though as long as there has been country music there has been a young female blurring the lines of what is and what isn't country.

Her debut was Tim McGraw, a song that namechecks the country singer of the same name, country hits that followed, Love Story, Teardrops on my Guitar, through to Begin Again and Mean. She has had the odd song during her pop career that have gone to country radio but in recent years her activities have been well away from country music. So yeah, she came from country, sold tons, won loads of awards and was very successful in the country charts. Kacey Musgraves and The Band Perry tried to switch to pop and its not been working out for them, Maren Morris made a recent announcement that she was doing the same and then back pedalled within weeks.

Edited by Seat68

20 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I always liked songs which told a story when I was a kid, which often meant country music, but then I quickly learned that country was not only uncool but beyond the pale, when I was in my youth.

Much later, I was amazed to find, while reading biographies of respected rock icons, that they had been influenced by country stars.

Every time I hear Elvis Costello's version of Good Year for the Roses, I am amazed at what a great song it is.

These days I can't decide where country starts or where it stops.

Yep. Very uncool with my mates when I was a teenager (late 60s). But not with me. I think I was initially pulled in by the 'and western' bit, as I was a huge fan of TV and film westerns. There was a Radio 2 country programme that I used to listen to, initially drawn in by the Marty Robbins gunfighter ballads. They did play a lot of cheesy dross of the Jim Reeves/Slim Whitman variety, but mixed in with that there was the occasional Waylon Jennings, George Jones or Merle Haggard number that I found myself liking. 

And then came Dylan's 'Nashville Skyline' and The Byrds' 'Sweetheart of the Rodeo', and country-rock was born. Over the next few years I got into Michael Nesmith (post Monkees), the Flying Burrito Brothers, Poco, Eagles, Pure Prairie League and many others. As a student, I even managed to convert some of my prog fan mates. 

Then it was the singer/songwriters - John Stewart, Emmylou Harris, Tom Russell, John Prine, Townes Van Zandt, Joe Ely, Butch Hancock, etc. Plus bluegrass.

And so on to this day (I don't go much for the Nashville/'modern country'/'hat acts' stuff, though). 

• Like 2

Â