1. 1. The Movie Remake You'd Want to See Most

• Casablanca
    • The Great Escape
    • The Guns of Navarone
    • The Dirty Dozen
    • Chinatown
    • The Bridge Over the River Kwai
    • Other

The Dambusters. **** the fictional heroics of fictional characters in Pearl Harbour.This was a story about real people who showed incredible heroism in an amazing raid. Deserves to be given the benefit of todays special effects boys. If it had been an American operation I have no doubt it would already have been done. Still there were British , Australian, New Zealand and Canadian boys involved. Would love to see this made.

Peter Jackson is remaking it with Stephen Fry writing the script. The dog's called Digger.

I'm pretty sure that got canned?

Dunno, but if they do remake it then they had better keep the **** theme tune. Greatest bit of music ever, I think it is impossible for an Englishman to not get a lump in his throat whenever he hears it. :)

Absolutely.

It's the lyrics that really make it, though:

We all hate Leeds and Leeds and Leeds

Leeds and Leeds and Leeds and Leeds

and Leeds and Leeds and Leeds

We all **** hate Leeds...

Logan's Run could make for a pretty good remake. Could have Michael York playing the old geezer they encounter outside of the city, though I dunno who they'd get to trump Jenny Agutter's fantastic brea... performance.

"Alive and kicking" brilliant short film from the late 80's / early 90's staring Lenny Henry. I have read the book it was based on and could be a good feature film IMO. It is based on (True story) football and heroin and how a football team of junkies get put together and how it helps kick the heroin.

It was filmed in Birmingham by the way originally, a proper trip down memory lane if you watch it (Old bull ring).

(Jane Horrocks puts in a performance that is absolutely fantastic + real good soundtrack)

a strange poll - i've never seen any of those films, and haven't even heard of half of them.

Its hard to pick a film i'd want to see a remake of.... the films i really love, i don't want remakes of those.

it would have to be a film that had potential to be amazing, but was badly made or didn't fulfill its potential.

from the top of my head, i choose "The Island".

It was an average film, but could have been really good, if they had focused on plot rather than running around.

The-Island-Movie.jpg

a strange poll - i've never seen any of those films, and haven't even heard of half of them.

Its hard to pick a film i'd want to see a remake of.... the films i really love, i don't want remakes of those.

it would have to be a film that had potential to be amazing, but was badly made or didn't fulfill its potential.

from the top of my head, i choose "The Island".

It was an average film, but could have been really good, if they had focused on plot rather than running around.

The-Island-Movie.jpg

You've missed out on some classics!

Holy shit, that is staggering.

Casablanca

The Great Escape

The Guns of Navarone

The Dirty Dozen

Chinatown

The Bridge Over the River Kwai

Really? I honestly would have thought they would ALL be totally familiar, legendary even. Makes me feel very old. :cry:

Casablanca is probably my favourite film of all time, and I must have seen The Great Escape at least a dozen times!

You said the same thing on page one of this thread so at least you are consistant :P

However it's suprising that you haven't heard of half of them still :)

You said the same thing on page one of this thread so at least you are consistant :P

However it's suprising that you haven't heard of half of them still :)

ahhh, i didn't realise i had already posted in this thread.

let me clarify:

Casablanca - heard the name, no idea what it is about.

The Great Escape - i know its a war film, about escaping from prison or concentration camp?

The Guns of Navarone - never even heard the name until coming into this thread.

The Dirty Dozen - i think its a cowboy film?

Chinatown - never heard of in terms of a film.

The Bridge Over the River Kwai - didn't know it was a film, but have heard that name/phrase before without realising it was a film.

are they all 1960/70's films?

Casablanca is a 1942 American romantic drama film directed by Michael Curtiz, starring Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Bergman and Paul Henreid, and featuring Claude Rains, Conrad Veidt, Sydney Greenstreet, Peter Lorre and Dooley Wilson. Set during World War II, it focuses on a man torn between, in the words of one character, love and virtue.

Casablanca was nominated for eight Academy Awards, and won three.

In 1989, the film was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry as being deemed "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant". In 2005 it was also named one of the 100 greatest films of the last 80 years by Time.com (the selected films were not ranked). In 2006, the Writers Guild of America, west voted the screenplay of Casablanca the best of all time in its list of the 101 Greatest Screenplays.

The Great Escape is a 1963 American film about an escape by Allied prisoners of war from a German POW camp during World War II, starring Steve McQueen, James Garner and Richard Attenborough. The film is based on the book of the same name by Paul Brickhill, a non-fiction account of the mass escape from Stalag Luft III in Żagań, which was then part of Germany.

The Great Escape was a major box office success on release and made a star out of Steve McQueen. It became one of the highest grossing films of 1963 despite heavy competition and in the years since its release its audience has only broadened, cementing its status as a cinema classic.

The film has been regularly shown on British TV, especially during periods such as Christmas. In a 2006 poll in the UK, regarding the family film that TV viewers would most want to see on Christmas Day, The Great Escape came in third, and was first among the choices of male viewers.

The Guns of Navarone is a 1961 British-American war film based on the 1957 novel of the same name about the Dodecanese Campaign of World War II by Scottish thriller writer Alistair MacLean. It stars Gregory Peck, David Niven and Anthony Quinn, along with Anthony Quayle and Stanley Baker. The book and the film share the same basic plot: the efforts of an Allied commando team to destroy a seemingly impregnable German fortress that threatens Allied naval ships in the Aegean Sea, and prevents 2,000 isolated British troops from being rescued.

The film was a major box office success and the top grossing film of 1961 earning a net profit of $18,500,000. As a result, MacLean reunited Mallory, Miller, and Andrea in the best-seller Force 10 From Navarone, the only sequel of his long writing career, in 1968. That was in turn filmed as the significantly different Force 10 from Navarone in 1978 by British director Guy Hamilton, a veteran of several James Bond films. Despite a cast that included Robert Shaw, Edward Fox, and Harrison Ford, it was a critical and commercial failure.

Golden Globe Award for Best Motion Picture – Drama

Golden Globe Award for Best Original Score - Motion Picture (Dimitri Tiomkin)

Academy Award Best Effects, Special Effects (Bill Warrington & Chris Greenham)

Nominated

Academy Award for Best Picture

Academy Award for Best Director (J. Lee Thompson)

DGA Award for Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Motion Pictures (J. Lee Thompson)

Academy Award for Best Film Editing (Alan Osbiston)

Academy Award for Best Original Score (Dimitri Tiomkin)

Grammy Award for Best Original Score Written for a Motion Picture (Dimitri Tiomkin)

Academy Award for Best Sound (John Cox)

Academy Award for Best Writing (Adapted Screenplay) (Carl Foreman)

The Dirty Dozen is a 1967 American war film directed by Robert Aldrich, based on the 1965 novel of the same name by E. M. Nathanson and starring Lee Marvin, Ernest Borgnine, Telly Savalas, Charles Bronson and Jim Brown.

The Time Out Film Guide notes that over the years, "The Dirty Dozen has taken its place alongside that other commercial classic, The Magnificent Seven:

The violence which liberal critics found so offensive has survived intact. Aldrich sets up dispensable characters with no past and no future, as Marvin reprieves a bunch of death row prisoners, forges them into a tough fighting unit, and leads them on a suicide mission into Nazi France. Apart from the values of team spirit, cudgeled by Marvin into his dropout group, Aldrich appears to be against everything: anti-military, anti-Establishment, anti-women, anti-religion, anti-culture, anti-life. Overriding such nihilism is the super-crudity of Aldrich's energy and his humour, sufficiently cynical to suggest that the whole thing is a game anyway, a spectacle that demands an audience.[11]

The film currently holds a 95% rating on Rotten Tomatoes based on 21 reviews.

This film was the #1 moneymaker of 1967, earning a net profit of $18,200,000.

Chinatown is a 1974 American neo-noir film, directed by Roman Polanski from a screenplay by Robert Towne and starring Jack Nicholson, Faye Dunaway and John Huston. The film features many elements of the film noir genre, particularly a multi-layered story that is part mystery and part psychological drama.

Evans says that the film cemented Jack Nicholson, then a rising star, as one of Hollywood's top leading men.

Robert Towne's screenplay for the film has become legendary among critics and filmmakers, often celebrated as one of the best ever written.

Chinatown brought more public awareness to the land dealings and disputes over water rights which arose whilst drawing Los Angeles' water supply from the Owens Valley in the 1930s.

The film holds a 100% certified fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes with 47 reviews.

The film won one Academy Award and was nominated in a further ten categories:

Wins

Best Original Screenplay – Robert Towne

Nominations

Best Picture – Robert Evans

Best Director – Roman Polanski

Best Actor – Jack Nicholson

Best Actress – Faye Dunaway

Best Film Editing – Sam O'Steen

Best Art Direction – Richard Sylbert, W. Stewart Campbell, Ruby Levitt

Best Costume Design – Anthea Sylbert

Best Cinematography – John A. Alonzo

Best Sound Mixing – Bud Grenzbach, Larry Jost

Best Music Score – Jerry Goldsmith

The Bridge on the River Kwai is a 1957 British World War II film by David Lean based on The Bridge over the River Kwai by French writer Pierre Boulle. The film is a work of fiction but borrows the construction of the Burma Railway in 1942–43 for its historical setting. It stars William Holden, Alec Guinness, Jack Hawkins, and Sessue Hayakawa.

In 1997, this film was deemed "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant" and selected for preservation in the United States Library of Congress National Film Registry.

Variety reported that this film was the #1 moneymaker of 1958, with a US take of $18,000,000. The second highest moneymaker of 1958 was Peyton Place at $12,000,000; in third place was Sayonara at $10,500,000.

The Bridge on the River Kwai won seven Oscars:

Best Picture — Sam Spiegel

Best Director — David Lean

Best Actor — Alec Guinness

Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material from Another Medium — Michael Wilson, Carl Foreman, Pierre Boulle

Best Music, Scoring of a Dramatic or Comedy Film — Malcolm Arnold

Best Film Editing — Peter Taylor

Best Cinematography — Jack Hildyard

It was nominated for

Best Actor in a Supporting Role — Sessue Hayakawa.

(From various Wikipedia pages).

Chinatown is **** brilliant, BOF. Watch it ASAP.

A remake would be entirely pointless.

My favourite Nicholson movie with Polanski at the top of his game.

(Yes, I even prefer it to Cuckoos Nest.)

so basically all these films are great classics, so why would people want them remade?

surely its the films which weren't great but have potential, is the ones you'd want a remake of?

TBH, probably only Casablanca would qualify as a true "classic" (ironically, as it was intended as a "B" movie).

Personally I'd put Chinatown not far behind, and it would certainly get into most serious film buffs' lists of greats.

River Kwai I've kind of seen too many times, but certainly is up there with the biggies.

The Great Escape is a bit dated now, but vastly entertaining. A bit of a guilty pleasure for me, and one I can watch over and over.

Navarone and The Dirty Dozen I'd only rate as "OK" - a way to pass a Sunday afternoon. Probably the only two from the list that could possibly justify a remake (Inglourious Basterds is a bit of a Dirty Dozen movie in its way).

I **** hate movie remakes!

Useless trivia - my Grandfather escaped from the prison camp where the "Great Escape" happened just a couple of weeks before the escape covered in the movie.

Â