economic situation is dire

ianrobo1

well lets get some fact straight

any family (whether one otr two parents) with kids gets priority on housing

so the rhetoric is wrong

and what do you do about single parent familes, where a partner has died, beaten up the other and all kinds of exceptions

and what do you do about single parent familes, where a partner has died, beaten up the other and all kinds of exceptions

or to turn it around the other way, what do you do with the teenage mums who got pregnant because they wanted a council flat or their mates were getting pregnant, and they have no intention of working now or ever.

i don't know what we do in either case...

but maybe this is a step in the right direction.... even if all the mums have to do is go & pick litter, at least they are doing something to earn their benefits.

The cutting of housing benefits for single mums is a great idea (IMO).

Why?

So a single mom should have less rights? - A wrong move IMO

a single mum shouldn't have any more rights than a married couple.

but its more the cutting of housing benefit that i agree with, whether they are single mums or not.

i don't know the ins & outs of the welfare system, but i just think that ALL benefits should have a time period... you should be able to keep on claiming for ever....

a year or two of continious benefits is more than enough.

or to turn it around the other way, what do you do with the teenage mums who got pregnant because they wanted a council flat or their mates were getting pregnant, and they have no intention of working now or ever.

but maybe this is a step in the right direction.... even if all the mums have to do is go & pick litter, at least they are doing something to earn their benefits.

so when the mums do this what do you do with the kids, let 4 yo's roam the streets ?

are you a parent ?

do you have kids in child care ?

do you knwo how much it costs ?

or do you get your views about single parents from the hate papers ?

do you have proof of this ?

mass numbers doing it ?

a few always will, a few will illegally drive fast or not pay their taxes or work in the black economy, shall we crack down on them because the same hate papers hate speed cameras eh ?

are you a parent ? no.

do you have kids in child care ? no.

do you knwo how much it costs ? not really, but i guess its not cheap.

or do you get your views about single parents from the hate papers ? i try not to form my views from just one source, but yes newspapers will influence me slightly.

do you have proof of this ? not really.

mass numbers doing it ? i guess not lots, but enough to try & stop it happening.

a few always will, a few will illegally drive fast or not pay their taxes or work in the black economy, shall we crack down on them because the same hate papers hate speed cameras eh ? yes, crack down on all forms of scamming the system.

i guess its not one issue, the whole benefit system probably needs looking at from top to bottom.

of course, it needs to be fully thought out, fair & handled properly.. which is why i'm sure it will be a government failure!

a few always will, a few will illegally drive fast or not pay their taxes or work in the black economy, shall we crack down on them because the same hate papers hate speed cameras eh ? yes, crack down on all forms of scamming the system

good we agree

so how do you propose to stop people have kids then ?

seriously you can not stop it and then as a soceity we have a responbility to try and look after them or do you suggest we abandon kids ?

If anyone suggests forced adoption for example then you had better read up on what adoption does to people before making those type of comnents

so when the mums do this what do you do with the kids, let 4 yo's roam the streets ?

are you a parent ?

do you have kids in child care ?

do you knwo how much it costs ?

or do you get your views about single parents from the hate papers ?

do you have proof of this ?

mass numbers doing it ?

a few always will, a few will illegally drive fast or not pay their taxes or work in the black economy, shall we crack down on them because the same hate papers hate speed cameras eh ?

My cousin did his thesis for a doctorate in Economics on this very subject. There is more than enough evidence that there is a direct link between employment levels and teenage pregnancy where there they will be offered housing as a result.

seriously you can not stop it and then as a soceity we have a responbility to try and look after them or do you suggest we abandon kids ?

i dunno.... wish i did.

- Educate the kids properly so that they don't think having a baby is a career choice?

- give better s3x education, rather than just handing out condoms & the pills?

- make parents responsible for their teenage kids?

- more discipline in schools?

- teach more about responsibilities rather than about rights?

- i believe that rights only come after responsibility, so maybe enshrine that in law :)

I am sure Chris there is some link for a number of people, liek there is for a lot of other areas and issues

so should we actually blame a small section of soceity ?

that is what the hate papers want to do, hence the stuff over Matthews we discussed.

Teenage mothers are not the fault of our situation but rich over paid and very rich bankers who just wanted more and more and also 'normal' people who wnated goods beyond their means.

teenage single mums contributerd nothing to the reasons behind our current problems no matter how the hate papers wish to portray it as facts that they do.

i dunno.... wish i did.

- Educate the kids properly so that they don't think having a baby is a career choice?

- give better s3x education, rather than just handing out condoms & the pills?

- make parents responsible for their teenage kids?

- more discipline in schools?

- teach more about responsibilities rather than about rights?

- i believe that rights only come after responsibility, so maybe enshrine that in law :)

yes would again agree with all that

and what happens if a 16 year gets preganant despite this, which does go on already ?

I am sure Chris there is some link for a number of people, liek there is for a lot of other areas and issues

so should we actually blame a small section of soceity ?

that is what the hate papers want to do, hence the stuff over Matthews we discussed.

Teenage mothers are not the fault of our situation but rich over paid and very rich bankers who just wanted more and more and also 'normal' people who wnated goods beyond their means.

teenage single mums contributerd nothing to the reasons behind our current problems no matter how the hate papers wish to portray it as facts that they do.

Ian, this was pretty heavy in terms of the detail etc - it took so much stuff into effect and the samples of data were so large that in the end you could narrow down the groups of people so that you could clearly see, taking all other factors out of the equation, that basically these girls were having kids to get houses.

I dont claim to understand it all (and it took him years to write it etc) but I can promise you it wasnt just plucked out of the air.

I never said it as Chris but what were the total numbers involved probably in the grand scheme of things it was not if you look at the specific case of teenage girls getting pregnant to get a council flat/house

plenty more other things are wrong and as discussed before people cheat society in all different ways and forms but some groups are easy to pick out and label in the hate papers.

it is always easy for hate papers to pick on the lowest in soceity

I never said it as Chris but what were the total numbers involved probably in the grand scheme of things it was not if you look at the specific case of teenage girls getting pregnant to get a council flat/house

plenty more other things are wrong and as discussed before people cheat society in all different ways and forms but some groups are easy to pick out and label in the hate papers.

it is always easy for hate papers to pick on the lowest in soceity

well, you have to start somewhere....

and i would hope the government has more spine than to just start with the one highlighted in newspapers. Hopefully, they have analysed & either picked those issues that are most important, or that are easy to solve.

Â