economic situation is dire

ianrobo1

And I don't care what happens, bonus day is 23rd, still heard nothing...............

Work for a bank? HBOS?

Yah, well, BM, part of HBOS, now part of LBG. You're an RBS man?

Our side (Retail) made a 1.4bn profit, but HBOS Group (conveniently after the takeover) is down 10bn.

And I don't want shares.

If you are RBS, hope you don't mind me asking, what are the restrictions on you selling your shares?

i was always under the impression that printing money was the most dangerous policy for an economy. What do i know? it seems it's a perfectly sane thing to do. Inflation is apparently much better than deflation. Unfortunately i don't see my wages "inflating" any time soon. The world economy is properly **** isn't it?

so Plans ... A to X all failed ...

now let's try plan Y

just wondering , do we start again after Z or do we designate the next attempt Plan A1 , B1 etc

I think we identify the plan by the year in which it was implemented: 09, etc. :winkold: :lol:

now let's try plan Y

just wondering , do we start again after Z or do we designate the next attempt Plan A1 , B1 etc

I think we identify the plan by the year in which it was implemented: 09, etc. :winkold: :lol:

:-) - that's funny

now let's try plan Y

do you know tony ?

unique situation, never seen before no tried and trusted methods to do this

even Phillip Hammond admitted as much and clearly stated that teh Tories have no answer

so would you do nothing ?

As, I hope, are most of my posts.

Thank you for the generous acclamation.

if your going to quote yourself from other threads you should at least name your source and put it in quote boxes :winkold:

As, I hope, are most of my posts.

Thank you for the generous acclamation.

if your going to quote yourself from other threads you should at least name your source and put it in quote boxes :winkold:

Thank you. :winkold:

I wouldn't have bothered if the insult from drat01 had been different. :)

1972.gif

so would you do nothing ?

just curious but doing everything has coast a few hundred billion , so would doing nothing have been the cheaper option ?

so I take that as a yes

so RBS, HBOS, B&B would have all gone tits up, they owed billions to others who may have gone tits up

thousands o the dole if not hundreds of thousands

all deposits remember guanrteened

I think the cost would have bee a lot somehow

at least you are have nearly said the typical Tory stance of Laissez faire (look where that got us) a stance that no tory poltician dare not say because is it all ' a price worth paying'

thanks tony

I wouldn't have bothered if the insult from drat01 had been different. Smile

Insult? I see no insult - me thinks you should retract that :-)

Oh, I'm terribly sorry if the attempts at sardonic comments made in this thread and this other thread were not insults or attempts at such.

I am most definitely wrong to have thought that the poster drat01 might have made the same type of comment about my posts within a couple of moments in both threads and for them to have not been insults.

I do apologize.

so I take that as a yes

well if you look closely my sentence ended with a question mark

so I was asking a question and as such haven't actually said anything

so I take that as a yes

well if you look closely my sentence ended with a question mark

so I was asking a question and as such haven't actually said anything

well I answered, I think the economic impace of doing nothing would have been catstrophic

so tony you going to answer my point, new times, unique situation ideas being tried

or would you do nothing ?

This has to be the most circular thread in history.

'Labour have **** up'

'Oh yeah, what would you have done then?'

'Various answers including full nationalisation'

'People would never accept it'

'Hang on it's already been done, we own the debt but have no control'

'well what would you have done'...

Talk about pissing into the wind. The interesting thing is that even at the political level alternatives have been offered, for instance the 50 billion loan guarantee scheme for small businesses that are viable but can't get credit. Labour have adopted a 3 billion pound scheme now but can't bring themselves to take on an idea from 'them' so instead reinforce a failing policy for political reasons. Well thanks very much, trash the country to prove you are stubborn clueless c units. Excellent. When 2010 comes Labour are going to the naughty step for a generation. Just like the last time.

AWOL, the banks have had to have billions and billions pumped in to secure them, the debate I believe is whether you, tony or anyone else thinks this should have been done

that one policy by teh Tories is small beer in the overall scheme of this, it is barely half of this years borrowings and only a fifth of the bad assets we will be buying off lloyds

I had to cleanse myself and go onto the Tory website to understand what they would propose

I found a statement b Osbourne saying it was a leap in the dark but no other solution and this

But we can still help families and businesses right now.

We will freeze council tax for two years by reducing wasteful spending on advertising and consultancy in central government

We will introduce a £50bn National Loan Guarantee Scheme to underwrite

bank lending to businesses and get credit flowing again

We will help the innocent victims of the recession and encourage a new culture of saving in the long term by abolishing income tax on savings for everyone on the basic rate of tax and raising the tax allowance for pensioners by £2,000 to £11,490

We will provide tax cuts for new jobs with a £2.6bn package of tax breaks to get people into work, funded by money that would otherwise go on unemployment benefit

We will cut the main rate of corporation tax to 25p and the small companies' rate to 20p, paid for by scrapping complex reliefs and allowances

We will give small and medium-sized businesses a six-month VAT holiday, funded by a 7.5% interest rate on delayed payments

We will cut National Insurance by 1% for six months for firms with fewer than five employees, paid for from the above changes to the company tax regime

We will abolish Stamp Duty for nine out of ten first-time buyers and raise the Inheritance Tax threshold to £1 million. Both of these changes will be funded by a flat-rate charge on non-domiciles.

To repair the broken economy in the long run, we need economic responsibility. That means:

A responsible fiscal policy, bolstered by independent oversight.

A responsible financial policy, bolstered by a renewed role for the Bank of England

A responsible attitude to economic development that fosters more balanced economic growth

a few small points adding upto very little in the scheme of things and thats it, a few words but no possible answer to the issues that are happening now

keep asking but say the tories were in power the past 6 months would RBS have been allowed to fold or nationalised ?

what woudl they have done with the half a trillion of bad debts two banks held ?

Â