economic situation is dire

ianrobo1

tax it ...

simple

It is already.

so I sell my house now, roughly 60k more than what I paid for it 10 years ago I would get captial gains tax against me ?

Yes but you couldn't buy one to live in for the same price you paid ten years ago either

tax it ...

simple

It is already.

so I sell my house now, roughly 60k more than what I paid for it 10 years ago I would get captial gains tax against me ?

Ian look Here for advice and guidance. Your primary residence can be exempt but capital gains tax does apply on property sales yes.

There is also stamp duty (which is a form of tax).

TBH, your suggestion is ludicrous, in my opinion of course

have I not been consisent on that Gringo ?

I was accusing you of incoherence, not inconsistency.

have long term aim of a bigger % of housing being social housing and reduce the number of private landlords who are only in it for profit, believe Clarry can explain more
As opposed to all those private landlords who are in it out of the goodness of their own heart?

it is noticable those countries in shit are those with an high number of private ownership, be it rent or owned.
Any examples of countries where there is a low perecentage of private ownership and which are booming?

tax it ...

simple

It is already.

Yes but you couldn't buy one to live in for the same price you paid ten years ago either

exactly my point bicks, the whole thing is false, some people ineviatbly will gain, those who inherit ro buy at the very low levels and rent for example

for most house price rises is a false god, it gives the impression of being well off when it makes no difference and in fact led to what we have now, would you say that ?

Say as you suggested we should have had more regulation(note Richard does not answer that point) then maybe that would have calmed the house market down but did people want that, course not, the false god made them feel well off

have I not been consisent on that Gringo ?

I was accusing you of incoherence, not inconsistency.

have long term aim of a bigger % of housing being social housing and reduce the number of private landlords who are only in it for profit, believe Clarry can explain more
As opposed to all those private landlords who are in it out of the goodness of their own heart?

it is noticable those countries in shit are those with an high number of private ownership, be it rent or owned.
Any examples of countries where there is a low perecentage of private ownership and which are booming?

less shit than the likes of us and the US.

For example don;t france and GErmany have an higher level of public rent, pretty sure it is much higher and they 'seem' less in the shit but all how you declare that

point is Gringo, do you believe selling housing and renting it for profit is correct, Warren Buffet believes not

point is Gringo, do you believe selling housing and renting it for profit is correct, Warren Buffet believes not

either someone has to rent out houses, or everyone owns their own house.

government is inefficient at running a scheme like this, therefore only the private sector is left. and the private sector will only do it for a profit.

the trouble in this country is that there is not enough house-building, therefore the housing market is undersupplied by about 3 million houses.

less shit than the likes of us and the US.

For example don;t france and GErmany have an higher level of public rent, pretty sure it is much higher and they 'seem' less in the shit but all how you declare that

Germany has less social hosuing than the UK - france slightly more (were comparable at the end of 'thaterism' as the sell off has continued over the past 12 years)

In any form of market based economy it is most definitely correct. I think you have misunderstood what buffet has said. Home ownership is not the same as property ownership. One you live in. The other, other people live in. Bufffet has extensive property ownership across commercial and residential estates.

The UK doesn't already apply capital gains tax to home sales at a profit?

The US does, and of course, it was an exception to that tax that helped to fuel the bubble. Basically, you could get out of capital gains tax if you bought another house for the same price as you sold the last (if both were your primary residence). The effect is that the government was taxing taking capital out of the housing sector; the tax results in less capital being taken out and thus keeps prices going up.

All Buffett means is that it's sheer folly for someone to consider their residence an investment (though, interestingly enough, anybody who did would have been far more likely to decide to rent...).

the trouble in this country is that there is not enough house-building, therefore the housing market is undersupplied by about 3 million houses.

Which, very conveniently, benefits landlords (by ensuring higher rents and property values) and the middle classes (by preventing their leafy, green suburbs from becoming too crowded).

either someone has to rent out houses, or everyone owns their own house.

government is inefficient at running a scheme like this, therefore only the private sector is left. and the private sector will only do it for a profit.

why is the government ineffiecent at it ?

since the council housing was sold off at massive idscounts what councils got left with was shit, before hand people had a security of tenure and some pretty decent stiock in places and no so good in other

how is a private landlord charging the same as a mortgage more 'efficent' ?

and I would argue the big problem with house supply is a lot more people live on their own or split from partners, this obviously increased the demand and also led to the surge in flats in towns, the market that has sufferred the most as these single people took on single mortgages with very high multiples

reduce the number of private landlords who are only in it for profit, believe Clarry can explain more

You must mean the person I mentioned in my local enjoying recessions because he can scoop up even more cheaper housing...

..but not all are bad. I got a letter from my landlord at the weekend asking if I wanted to stay another year. If so, just sign the copy of the letter keeping the rent the same for another year. Even sent an SAE for me to return it!

[table][row][col][col]Owner occupation[col]Private rental[col]Social rental[col]Numberofsocialunits

[row][col]Netherlands [col]54[col]11[col]35[col]2,400,000

[row][col]Austria [col]55[col]20[col]25[col]800,000

[row][col]Denmark [col]52[col]17[col]21[col]530,000

[row][col]Sweden [col]59[col]21[col]20[col]780,000

[row][col]England [col]70[col]11[col]18[col]3,983,000

[row][col]France[col]56[col]20[col]17[col]4,230,000

[row][col]Ireland [col]80[col]11[col]8[col]124,000

[row][col]Germany [col]46[col]49[col]6[col]1,800,000

[row][col]Hungary [col]92[col]4[col]4[col]167,000

[/table]

reduce the number of private landlords who are only in it for profit, believe Clarry can explain more
You must mean the person I mentioned in my local enjoying recessions because he can scoop up even more cheaper housing...

..but not all are bad. I got a letter from my landlord at the weekend asking if I wanted to stay another year. If so, just sign the copy of the letter keeping the rent the same for another year. Even sent an SAE for me to return it!

Nope Clarry not irrationally emotive enough - they're all scum.

[table][row][col][col]Owner occupation[col]Private rental[col]Social rental[col]Numberofsocialunits

[row][col]Netherlands [col]54[col]11[col]35[col]2,400,000

[row][col]Austria [col]55[col]20[col]25[col]800,000

[row][col]Denmark [col]52[col]17[col]21[col]530,000

[row][col]Sweden [col]59[col]21[col]20[col]780,000

[row][col]England [col]70[col]11[col]18[col]3,983,000

[row][col]France[col]56[col]20[col]17[col]4,230,000

[row][col]Ireland [col]80[col]11[col]8[col]124,000

[row][col]Germany [col]46[col]49[col]6[col]1,800,000

[row][col]Hungary [col]92[col]4[col]4[col]167,000

[/table]

interesting table because the highest three owner occupiers are the three countries in europe reckoned to be int he worse trouble

seems to me the ideal split is around 50/50 owner and rental

and yes Gringo it was an emotive term because I have never rented thus my only experience is those my Mrs's comes into contact with, those landlords who bully and chuck people out in contravention of the law

now I am surprised at the low number of social housing for GErmany especially how much in the east would have been state owned just 20 years ago, Did germany 'sell' these off to private and what do housing associations class as ?

a figure I would like to see if available is the value of renting in the two secotrs against cost of mortgages, so for example for me Renting should be lower than mortgage by a significant amount is this the case in the rest of europe ?

interesting table because the highest three owner occupiers are the three countries in europe reckoned to be int he worse trouble
The other interesting thing is complete lack of correlation with the economic failure and the scum private landlord sector.

and yes Gringo it was an emotive term because I have never rented thus my only experience is those my Mrs's comes into contact with
So lack of knowledge and personal experience ==> scum. Hate, hate, hate.

Interestingly enough, the most recent breakdown I can get for the USA is:

Owner-occupied: 68%

Renter-occupied: 32% (incl. both private and social rental)

Generally rents come to anywhere between 75-90% of the mortgage for a similar property, though in a few markets prices have dropped enough for mortgages to be cheaper than rentals (though when property taxes, insurance, and maintenance are added in, it's still somewhat more expensive to own than to rent).

Â