economic situation is dire

ianrobo1

If electricity & gas come down (10% decrease announced by a couple of companies), then this should help reduce inflation further.

Which is unlikely to be happening according to the companies themselves.

I posted an article about a select committee quizzing of Utilities firms last week.

IIRC, BG have cut gas only by 10% (no move on electricity).

SSE claim that average electricity reduction will be 9% and gas reduction 4%.

E.On have cut electricity by 9% and have not cut gas.

And Scottish Power reduced some tariffs by 10% earlier in the year (but that was by no means comprehensive).

One chief exec said:

"I'm concerned that if the wholesale price increases, we might see an increase."

"I would have expected us to see another round of decreases [in energy bills] later this year or early next year, but objective analysis suggests that this might not happen."

nice to see competition and the free market working eh ?

oh well

Here

The government is being urged to give the same financial support to manufacturing during the recession as it has to failing UK banks.

The Work Foundation think tank wants emergency state funding to help save jobs and companies in the "extremely important" sector of the economy.

Its comments came as a CBI survey showed that factory orders were falling at their fastest rate in 17 years.

The government said it had a "profound commitment" to helping manufacturing.

Ian Brinkley, associate director at the Work Foundation, said: "The question needs asking - what are we going to live on in the future?

"Modern manufacturing is once again facing a battering from the recession, but it would be a big mistake just to write the sector off.

We can't afford to let a short-term problem deprive Britain of the skills we will depend on to compete in the world economy in the long term

"We need to preserve as much of the industrial base as possible because once it is lost it is near impossible to get back again.

"Despite the mythmaking around the demise of manufacturing, the sector remains extremely important for jobs, exports and GDP."

The report said that UK manufacturing had been transformed in recent years and deserved more support for research and development.

Other recommendations included a short-time working scheme to support firms and job losses in the current recession.

A spokesman for the Department of Business Enterprise and Regulatory Reform said: "British manufacturing is a key driver of the UK economy.

"It is a source of half our exports, and government recognises and has policies that demonstrate its profound commitment through thick and thin."

TUC general secretary Brendan Barber said the Work Foundation's report was "extremely welcome" as it showed the "importance of manufacturing not just to today's economy but to our post-recession future".

Derek Simpson, joint leader of Unite, said the union was "urging the government to learn the lessons of past failures to support manufacturing and begin a programme of emergency support for strategic industries of which car production is most certainly one".

It wants a £13bn fund set up to "provide interim relief for producers and to cover employment costs during the crisis period".

"We can't afford to let a short-term problem deprive Britain of the skills we will depend on to compete in the world economy in the long term," Mr Simpson said.

The CBI said 56% of the manufacturers it surveyed now expected to see orders fall over the next three months, while only 12% expected a rise.

The survey also recorded a balance of -49% of firms reporting export order books below normal, where the balance is the difference between the percentage of manufacturers reporting an increase and those reporting a decrease.

This was worse than the balance of -39% recorded in January.

"The weak pound has made UK exports more competitive, but this advantage has been outweighed by falling global demand," said John Cridland, CBI deputy director general.

The CBI report added that manufacturers are continuing to lower prices in an attempt to win orders

Not sure EU law will allow us to provide assistance

It's a shame I wasn't a multibillionaire becuase I would be handing out small time renewable energy sources for free. then the companies can watch their holds on villages fall away when the their entire electricity is free as a result of a wind farm.

And I have walked amongst these bohemoths and I think they enhance the countryside. A lot more than that Angel of the North thing.

wasn't aware the UK had any manufacturing base left? #

Thought Maggie T had given it the last rites ....

Under thatch Manufactoring declined by around 30%

This was partly the short-term effect of policy - Thatcher's response to a world recession - but partly also a rather abrupt structural adjustment to a changing environment which all western countries were facing.

Manufacturing employment declined in the rest of Europe too

Quite a few business are using this credit crunch to destroy employees terms and conditions and you should check yours.

Ahh - and which party made it their aim to kill unions again?

Be very careful for what you wish for - removal of workers rights, removal of minimum wage all coming to you with a Tory gvmt

Quite a few business are using this credit crunch to destroy employees terms and conditions and you should check yours.

Ahh - and which party made it their aim to kill unions again?

Be very careful for what you wish for - removal of workers rights, removal of minimum wage all coming to you with a Tory gvmt

Where did you read that, in a cracker?

It's a shame I wasn't a multibillionaire becuase I would be handing out small time renewable energy sources for free. then the companies can watch their holds on villages fall away when the their entire electricity is free as a result of a wind farm.

And I have walked amongst these bohemoths and I think they enhance the countryside. A lot more than that Angel of the North thing.

The 'angel' ain't that bad. However that daft horse thing (that will never get built hopefully).

Where did you read that, in a cracker?

Seems like some "crackers" have the truth in them :-)

Tory plans to allow for minimum wage opt out

What a shame eh?

That sounds like the thin end of the wedge to me and I don't like Mr Chope's idea at all, although the suggestion to allow refuges to work seems long over due.

Thing is this is a Private Members Bill Ian not Tory policy and shouldn't be misrepresented as such.

A PMB that was supported by a significant number of Tory MP's though Jon. No condemnation of it from Cameron or Osborne and a clear indication of thinking of that particular party. Note: It's difficult to get any sort of official policy though from the Tory party and you have to see what the MP's want in cases like this for a clear view of how the party would take the UK

The minimum wage would go under a Tory gvmt!

A PMB that was supported by a significant number of Tory MP's though Jon. No condemnation of it from Cameron or Osborne and a clear indication of thinking of that particular party. Note: It's difficult to get any sort of official policy though from the Tory party and you have to see what the MP's want in cases like this for a clear view of how the party would take the UK

Eleven Tory MP's sponsoring the Bill, not exactly a return to feudalism in the making mate. You could probably find a similar number of Labour MP's to sponsor a Bill stating that everyone should be forced to drink bitter, race whippets and sing the Red Flag at BBC close down every night. A few odd thinkers do not make a policy.

The minimum wage would go under a Tory gvmt!

I could say with equal uncertainty that Labour plan to turn the sky green after the next election, it doesn't mean it's true.

I havent been on this thread for a while as in all honesty I found better things to do, so can I change just check that we are still following these guidlines before I jump in.

The shit we find our country in at the moment is inspite of the Labour government and not because of.

Tories are evil while Labour are good.

People are losing their jobs now because of Maggie Thatcher and her evil plan to kerb the unions not because of the global recession.

We would be far worse of if Dave and his boys were in charge.

The Tories when they sweep back to power are going to make sure we all get paid a pittance to encourage more investment from other countries.

11 is a significant number.

Etonians cant be trusted unless you are an Etonian yourself.

Anyone with Blonde hair shouldnt ever be allowed to be Mayor of London.

All the press are right wing.

Did I mention Tories are evil and Labour are good.

The tory part are akin to the four horsemen of the apocalypse.

If I have made any errors please do not hestitate to correct me in a rather condescending lecturing style.

Eleven Tory MP's sponsoring the Bill, not exactly a return to feudalism in the making mate.

Tory MP's who opposed the Minimum wage

Peter Ainsworth MP,

David Cameron's Shadow Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs

David Amess MP

Michael Ancram MP

James Arbuthnot MP

Peter Atkinson MP

Tony Baldry MP

John Bercow MP

Paul Beresford MP

Crispin Blunt MP

David Cameron's Opposition Whip

Tim Boswell MP

Peter Bottomley MP

Graham Brady MP

Julian Brazier MP

David Cameron's Shadow Transport Minister

Angela Browning MP

Simon Burns MP

Angela Browning MP

Sir John Butterfill MP

William Cash MP

Christopher Chope MP

James Clappison MP

David Cameron's Shadow Work and Pensions Minister

Ken Clarke MP

Chairman of David Cameron's Democracy Taskforce

Geoffrey Clifton-Brown MP

David Cameron's Shadow International Development Minister

Sir Patrick Cormack MP

David Curry MP

David Davis MP

Stephen Dorrell MP

Alan Duncan MP

David Cameron's Shadow Secretary of State for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform

Iain Duncan Smith MP

Chairman of David Cameron's Social Justice Policy Group

Nigel Evans MP

Michael Fabricant MP

Michael Fallon MP

Liam Fox MP

David Cameron's Shadow Secretary of State for Defence

Christopher Fraser

Roger Gale MP

Edward Garnier MP

David Cameron's Shadow Justice Minister

Nick Gibb MP

David Cameron's Shadow Schools Minister

Cheryl Gillan MP

David Cameron's Shadow Secretary of State for Wales

James Gray MP

Damian Green MP David Cameron's Shadow Immigration Minister

John Greenway MP

Dominic Grieve MP

David Cameron's Shadow Home Secretary

John Gummer MP

Chair of David Cameron's Quality of Life Policy Group

William Hague MP

David Cameron's Shadow Foreign Secretary

Philip Hammond MP

David Cameron's Shadow Chief Secretary to the Treasury

John Hayes MP

David Cameron's Shadow Minister for Vocational Education

Oliver Heald MP

David Heathcoat-Amory MP

Douglas Hogg MP

John Horam MP

Gerald Howarth MP

David Cameron's Shadow Defence Minister

Michael Jack MP

Bernard Jenkin MP

Robert Key MP

Julie Kirkbride MP

Elanor Laing MP

David Cameron's Shadow Justice Minister

Jacqui Lait MP

David Cameron's Shadow Minister for Communities and Local Government

Andrew Lansley MP

David Cameron's Shadow Health Secretary

Edward Leigh MP

Oliver Letwin MP

Chairman of David Cameron's Policy Review and of the Conservative Research Department

Julian Lewis MP

David Cameron's Shadow Defence Minister

David Lidington MP

Chairman, International Office and Conservatives Abroad

Peter Lilley MP

Tim Loughton MP

David Cameron's Shadow Minister for Children

Peter Luff MP

Andrew Mackay MP

David Cameron's Senior Parliamentary and Political Adviser

David Maclean MP

Patrick McLoughlin MP

David Cameron's Opposition Chief Whip

Humfrey Malins MP

John Maples MP

Conservative Party Deputy Chairman (Candidates)

Francis Maude MP

David Cameron's Shadow Cabinet Office Minister

Theresa May MP

David Cameron's Shadow Leader of the House

Malcolm Moss MP

Richard Ottaway MP

James Paice MP

David Cameron's Shadow Minister for Agriculture

Owen Paterson MP

David Cameron's Shadow Secretary of State for Northern Ireland

Eric Pickles MP

John Randall MP

David Cameron's Assistant Chief Whip

John Redwood MP

Chairman of David Cameron's Economic Competitiveness Policy Group

Andrew Robathan MP

David Cameron's Deputy Chief Whip

Laurence Robertson MP

David Cameron's Shadow Minister for Northern Ireland

David Ruffley MP

David Cameron's Shadow Home Affairs Minister

Richard Shepherd MP

Keith Simpson MP

David Cameron's Shadow Foreign Affairs Minister

Nicholas Soames MP

Caroline Spelman MP

Conservative Party Chairman

Sir Michael Spicer MP

Richard Spring MP

Conservative Party Vice Chairman (Business)

Sir John Stanley MP

Anthony Steen MP

Gary Streeter MP

Desmond Swayne MP

David Cameron's Parliamentary Private Secretary

Robert Syms MP

Peter Tapsell MP

Ian Taylor MP

David Tredinnick MP

Andrew Tyrie MP

Peter Viggers MP

Robert Walter MP

Nigel Waterson MP

David Cameron's Shadow Work and Pensions Minister

John Whittingdale MP

Ann Widdecombe MP

David Willetts MP

David Cameron's Shadow Secretary of State for Innovation, Universities and Skills

David Wilshire MP

Ann Winterton MP

Nicholas Winterton MP

Tim Yeo MP

Sir George Young MP

I think it's a fair bet that the minimum wage will be under sever attack and probable killing off under any Tory party rule.

I havent been on this thread for a while as in all honesty I found better things to do, so can I change just check that we are still following these guidlines before I jump in.

The shit we find our country in at the moment is inspite of the Labour government and not because of.

Tories are evil while Labour are good.

People are losing their jobs now because of Maggie Thatcher and her evil plan to kerb the unions not because of the global recession.

We would be far worse of if Dave and his boys were in charge.

The Tories when they sweep back to power are going to make sure we all get paid a pittance to encourage more investment from other countries.

11 is a significant number.

Etonians cant be trusted unless you are an Etonian yourself.

Anyone with Blonde hair shouldnt ever be allowed to be Mayor of London.

All the press are right wing.

Did I mention Tories are evil and Labour are good.

The tory part are akin to the four horsemen of the apocalypse.

If I have made any errors please do not hestitate to correct me in a rather condescending lecturing style.

speaking of etonians

Labour in power failed to deal with the thundering market because it could not bring itself to face the economic consequences of a necessary confrontation. Liberal Britain stayed silent as tyranny swept by because it too wanted the quiet life. Normally, left-wing eras end because the left loses itself in ideological excess and careers off into the margins of politics. The left of the early 21st century was an exception. It failed not because it was left-wing but because in crucial respects it was not left-wing enough. It forgot the lessons of the Great Depression and failed to regulate runaway markets. It forgot the best of its achievements of the 20th century and failed to defend them from the assault of the 21st.

As economies crashed and governments made colossal interventions to save them, it might seem reasonable to predict a revival of the better side of the left-wing tradition. I hope to see it come not least because social democrats have the best answers to today's financial and environmental crises. Many obstacles remain in the way of a return to reputable politics. Liberal opinion went wilder in Britain than in any other European country. Although some liberals will "recover their senses slowly, and one by one", as Charles Mackay predicted, others will be stuck in their ideological prisons for the rest of their lives. Meanwhile, although Labour responded well to the crash, it cannot escape responsibility for failing to see the crisis coming and may well pay the political price for its failure.

I cannot think of a more revealing measure of that failure than the transformation of the English aristocracy from pantomime villains and chinless wonders into viable leaders of the nation. At the end of the longest period of left-wing government in British history, the Etonians were back for the first time since the fall of the Empire. A battered public seemed willing to embrace its old ruling class with something approaching relief.

would this be the minimum wage that many experts are now saying was good intentions , bad results ?

i.e You cannot make a man worth a given amount by making it illegal for anyone to offer him less. You merely deprive him of the right to earn the amount that his abilities and situation would permit him to earn, while you deprive the community even of the moderate services that he is capable of rendering. In brief, for a low wage you substitute unemployment. You do harm all around, with no comparable compensation

Â