economic situation is dire

ianrobo1

because one party looked at the ideas, some of which I remebered I supported but the context was wrong especially in a recession and clearly the guy has seen this and gone

the Tories will have no such problems with their rank and file, hitting on the poor and weak is easy for them, no doubt single mums will get regular bashings as we head towards an election and in recessions people in general become nastier in their scapegoating of others.

because one party looked at the ideas, some of which I remebered I supported but the context was wrong especially in a recession and clearly the guy has seen this and gone

Hold on. The labour party has not dropped the welfare reform bill and ministers are still talking about it as though it is full steam ahead.

You talk as though the party has sat down, looked again at the proposals, decided that they ought not to be labour policy and binned them.

the Tories will have no such problems with their rank and file, hitting on the poor and weak is easy for them, no doubt single mums will get regular bashings

It won't be any different to what we have heard from Purnell for the last year, then, will it?

Why make the past your sacred cow?

I guess youve changed, youve changed and how

Yeah, yeah, yeah

Fruits grown rotten on the bough

Reap what you sow, with a counterfeit plough

Yeah, yeah, yeah

That was then but this is now

CPI only down to 3%

Consumer Prices Index (CPI) annual inflation – the Government's target measure – was 3.0 per cent in January, down from

3.1 per cent in December.

The largest downward pressure on the CPI annual rate came from transport costs where the price of fuels and lubricants fell this year but rose last year. The average price of petrol fell by 2.9p per litre between December 2008 and January this year, to stand at 86.3p, compared with a rise of 1.3p last year. Diesel prices fell by 4.0p per litre this year, to stand at 98.4p. A fall in car prices, lower costs for vehicle maintenance and repair and a decrease in air fares also contributed to the downward effect.

A further large downward contribution came from housing and household services. Overall housing rents fell slightly this year, compared with a rise a year ago. There was also a downward effect from fuel costs with electricity tariffs and the cost of heating oil falling this year but rising a year ago.

There was a large upward contribution from recreation and culture. The effect was widespread. The price of toys and games increased following heavy discounting in December. The effect also came from cultural services, newspapers, books and stationery, and holidays abroad.

There were further large upward contributions from:

• Furniture, household equipment and maintenance where furniture prices fell by less than last year

• Alcoholic drink where overall prices rose by more than last year

• Miscellaneous goods and services where the effect mainly came from appliances and products for personal care

• Clothing and footwear where prices in January fell by less than last year, following some heavy discounting in December

Retail Prices Index (RPI) inflation slowed to 0.1 per cent in January, down from 0.9 per cent in December. The main factors affecting the CPI also affected the RPI. Additionally, there was a large downward contribution from housing with the main effect coming from mortgage interest payments and house depreciation, which are excluded from the CPI.

RPIX inflation – the all items RPI excluding mortgage interest payments – was 2.4 per cent in January, down from 2.8 per cent in December 2008.

As an internationally comparable measure of inflation, the CPI shows that the UK inflation rate in December, at 3.1 per cent, was above the provisional figure for the European Union as a whole of 2.2 per cent.

The next publication date is 24 March 2009.

CPI is down a whole 0.1%; the expected reductions in gas prices (those factored in by the BoE in their inflation report last week) appear unlikely to materialise; the pre-Xmas discounts seem to working their way steadily out of the high street; one of the main drivers for this minimal reduction has been lower petrol/diesel price and yet they have been on the rise since Jan (today's AA average for unleaded is 90.7 ppl).

Still, an awful lotof people are sure we are going to get in the close to deflation - I'm not so sure.

p.s. Has anyone seen the price of cucumbers! Extortionate. :shock:

No Ian the Tory party have distanced themselves from those ideas ..............................

seeing as some are currently offering nothing to the topic , i thought I'd post this random photo

019thatcher1dm468x298jn4.th.jpg

no family props though ...........

Price Changes In Last Year

Second hand cars ▼15.4%

Fuels and lubricants ▼15.2%

Tellys + HiFis ▼11.8%

Clothing ▼10.6%

Vegetables ▲16%

Coffee, tea and cocoa ▲16.1%

Electricity ▲30.5%

Gas ▲49.8%

it is actually good news that inflation has not dropped dramtically.

Is it? Might it not suggest that the BoE hasn't actually got a clue where anything is going.

Actually, I suppose it might confirm what Merv told us when giving us all those forecasts - that forecasts were pointless.

Inflation should be kept above the target level

:shock:

Care to elaborate on that one? Any ceiling?

the target was set in different times tony, times change, situations change an healthy level of inflation is needed but doubt that will happen, if things continue in the summer the large gas prices and others will have been cancelled out and down it plumments

no one wants deflation

Price Changes In Last Year

Second hand cars ▼15.4%

Fuels and lubricants ▼15.2%

Tellys + HiFis ▼11.8%

Clothing ▼10.6%

Vegetables ▲16%

Coffee, tea and cocoa ▲16.1%

Electricity ▲30.5%

Gas ▲49.8%

If electricity & gas come down (10% decrease announced by a couple of companies), then this should help reduce inflation further.

at the moment those with savings are really struggling, inflation is higher than interest rates on savings - which means we are losing money by keeping it in the bank!! :evil:

BRD (GKN) at Aldridge being closed down - My bro (the one recovering from cancer at the moment) just been told he's been made redundant after 30 years there.

My dad used to do a lot of work for them ...

Been announced bonuses at RBS and HBOS will be capped, my mate will not be happy will receive shares and not cash

If electricity & gas come down (10% decrease announced by a couple of companies), then this should help reduce inflation further.

Which is unlikely to be happening according to the companies themselves.

I posted an article about a select committee quizzing of Utilities firms last week.

IIRC, BG have cut gas only by 10% (no move on electricity).

SSE claim that average electricity reduction will be 9% and gas reduction 4%.

E.On have cut electricity by 9% and have not cut gas.

And Scottish Power reduced some tariffs by 10% earlier in the year (but that was by no means comprehensive).

One chief exec said:

"I'm concerned that if the wholesale price increases, we might see an increase."

"I would have expected us to see another round of decreases [in energy bills] later this year or early next year, but objective analysis suggests that this might not happen."

not a good aftenoon.

The annual profit related pay 10% that supplements my low wage at RBS will not be paid. It's always been paid simply to make the low wages bearable, never really been viewed as a genuine "bankers bonus" by the staff.

Been advised we're not getting it. A lot of people pay their council taxes, credit card bills and things at this time of year. Not going to happen now.

So, thats 10% not going from my bank account into your shops and commhnities due to the crapulent whining from politicians who want to make a punchy soundbite as they whore themselves for re-election. With the caps on overtime, the loss of the "bonus", thats me down on wages about 15-20% this year.

I would normally still be working unpaid overtime at this time of the evening, trying to deal with your claims. But I think I'll just go home now. Most people working for banks dont earn "megabucks" that the media would have you believe. Largely its lowly paid clarical work. But then we dont make the headlines, we just keep working, keep things ticking over whilst the general public become incandescent with rage about a handful of people long gone in parts of the business incredibly remote from me.

To be honest, I'd rather have been made redundant than just get a kick in the teeth. What with the ever rising transport bills, council tax rises, zero pay rise, loss of bonus, I simply can't afford to work much longer. I need to earn £900 a month to just pay bills to live, before I've eaten, clothed myself or anything. Cutting bonus's largely effects 170k of the people here, rather than the 7k that the media and politicians set their sights on.

Cutting bonus's largely effects 170k of the people here, rather than the 7k that the media and politicians set their sights on

Typical, who will benefit from it? The share holders/ government. Quite a few business are using this credit crunch to destroy employees terms and conditions and you should check yours.

Just because 'the management' have made a mess, it does not mean contract law has been suspended, despite all the fuss thats being made. To change any terms they need to get the nod from the employees or their representatives. Rant over

Â