economic situation is dire

ianrobo1

One of the questions which Ford provokes is how come he managed to reduce the price of a Model T from £13774 in 1909 to £2226 in 1925, and why that sort of thing does not happen these days.

These days that sort of thing does not happen and modern car makers just increase their profit margins as they get cheaper to make rather than lowering the price for the customer.

It does seem to be a different sort of capitalism back then, than it is now.

It does happen though to a certain extent. Look at the price of laptops now compared to 15 years ago. Same with lots of consumer electronics. My first internet connection cost me 10p a minute on dial up 15 years ago as well. It's more or less free these days.

• 2 weeks later...

Citylink into administration - feel sorry for the workers  :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30602326

UK parcel delivery company City Link, which employs 2,727 people, has gone into administration.

The company, owned by investment firm Better Capital, called in administrators on Christmas Eve after years of "substantial losses".

It stopped accepting parcels from customers at its head office and transport hub in Coventry, its three other transport hubs and 53 UK depots.

Administrators warned of "substantial redundancies" over the coming days.

This is because no buyer has been found to save the company.

Operations will be suspended at all the company's depots until Monday when customers and recipients will be able to collect their parcels.

Edited by Xela
  • Like 3

Goldman Sachs announce 100 UK based staff to receive a bonus of, on average, £3,000,000.00

I look forward to trickle down economics passing the good news on to the 2,727 people mentioned in the post above.

(I'd reference this, but so far it hasn't got as far as the BBC website and I won't bother reffing the Mail or the Mirror)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Economist seeks to maximise utility, but externalities occur

One of Britain’s leading economists is at the centre of a police investigation into claims he assaulted a prostitute after the pair smoked crack cocaine together.

Professor Douglas McWilliams, a key figure who has advised Boris Johnson on housing policy, allegedly injured Beverley Shearon at her flat in St Albans, Hertfordshire.

She claims the married academic was a regular visitor and took drugs with her on New Year’s Eve before he “flipped out” when a neighbour arrived unannounced...

In December his think tank CEBR suggested UK had overtaken France in 2014 to become the world’s fifth largest economy, thanks to earnings from the drugs and the sex trade.

On Christmas Day, McWilliams tweeted a link to a story about the predictions, writing: “Prostitution and illegal drugs help UK overtake France in global wealth league.”...

Doing his bit for GDP, then.

I wonder if he's a mate of George's?  Imagine the pair of them on a night out.

Economist seeks to maximise utility, but externalities occur

One of Britain’s leading economists is at the centre of a police investigation into claims he assaulted a prostitute after the pair smoked crack cocaine together.

Professor Douglas McWilliams, a key figure who has advised Boris Johnson on housing policy, allegedly injured Beverley Shearon at her flat in St Albans, Hertfordshire.

She claims the married academic was a regular visitor and took drugs with her on New Year’s Eve before he “flipped out” when a neighbour arrived unannounced...

In December his think tank CEBR suggested UK had overtaken France in 2014 to become the world’s fifth largest economy, thanks to earnings from the drugs and the sex trade.

On Christmas Day, McWilliams tweeted a link to a story about the predictions, writing: “Prostitution and illegal drugs help UK overtake France in global wealth league.”...

Doing his bit for GDP, then.

I wonder if he's a mate of George's?  Imagine the pair of them on a night out.

OT for a bit but I caught a bit of some Brand TV show about the war on drugs the other night ... to his credit Clegg agreed to be interviewed and they had a bit of discussion where Brand mentioned substances in the commons and Clegg replied " Don't go there"

suggested , to my mind at least  , that there is a lot of drug taking going on in the commons  .... could just be me drawing the wrong conclusions but I'd have expected Clegg to have issued more of a denial if it weren't true

OT for a bit but I caught a bit of some Brand TV show about the war on drugs the other night ... to his credit Clegg agreed to be interviewed and they had a bit of discussion where Brand mentioned substances in the commons and Clegg replied " Don't go there"

suggested , to my mind at least  , that there is a lot of drug taking going on in the commons  .... could just be me drawing the wrong conclusions but I'd have expected Clegg to have issued more of a denial if it weren't true

I can't think what you mean.

Article on the beeb

Political earthquakes could be in store for Europe in 2015, according to research by the Economist Intelligence Unit for the BBC's Democracy Day.

It says the rising appeal of populist parties could see some winning elections and mainstream parties forced into previously unthinkable alliances.

Europe's "crisis of democracy" is a gap between elites and voters, EIU says.

I love this article - an economic think tank claiming that democracy is a threat to democracy. I think it tells us an awful lot about the 'Democracy' we live under.

Over the past 30 years our mainstream parties have become more and more the parties of our corporate world, and even though the media are complicit and the message is considered unquestionable, it's great to see that democracy is still able to put a dent in it. This election promises to be very interesting, because for the first time people are moving away from the choice between two parties who don't offer the opportunity to represent us in the things we're interested in, we're looking for something else. Ordinarily the parties would just nudge a little in the direction of what we want, but it's difficult to see how they can do that when what we want is society not corporate economy.

This, added to the polls yesterday that suggested that the two main parties only carry 57% of the electorate between them demonstrate a real move to change things. It's very promising.

• Like 3

Big elections in Greece this weekend. If Syriza get in, which looks likely (albeit without a majority), things will get very interesting in the Eurozone.

Not convinced it'll have that big an effect now. Basket Case dumps Eurozone... I think the first round Euro QE (QE=failed capitalism) will affect the Euro more tbh

Big elections in Greece this weekend. If Syriza get in, which looks likely (albeit without a majority), things will get very interesting in the Eurozone.

Not convinced it'll have that big an effect now. Basket Case dumps Eurozone... I think the first round Euro QE (QE=failed capitalism) will affect the Euro more tbh

Peter Schiff was predicting last week that the ECB would start QE and that is why the Swiss had de-linked the SFr with the Euro to limit their losses.

What with the UK media being less than honest about the reason low inflation is 'bad', I suspect that we are being softened up for further QE some time after the election.

fascists have never really liked being ruled by lefties...

In some countries it's hard to tell the difference! Interesting times in Greece though, I think people took a hard look at Golden Dawn and decided they didn't like the view.

Syriza wants to pull out of the Eurozone and NATO, and I can't really blame them for wanting to try something else. Although I'm not sure what the net benefit of dumping NATO is other than trying to cozy up to Putin.

Looks like Syriza in a big win.

Things will get very interesting if as promised they decide to stick two fingers up to the banks and tell them they are going to put Greece ahead of those banks profits. This sort of thing usually ends up with organised scandal, assassination, war or forced recession. It'll be interesting to watch - if Greece are able to find friends in other countries, then it could get very interesting indeed, if not, expect them to be rolled over.

Â