economic situation is dire

ianrobo1

Do you issue your own currency, raise your own taxes and so on?

I was just trying to explain how one-off expenditure is different from long term budget commitments.

why don't France and Germany pull out of the Euro?

essentially that would make the euro weak and we can all spend loads of money going on holiday there again and buying lots of their goods.

I could do with an offer on pasta right now, and dolmates.

but seriously, surely that situation is better than what we have now, which is bailing out countries again and again, and again, and again for the what 4th time?

why don't France and Germany pull out of the Euro?

I suppose because they're probably owed oodles by countries like Greece, Italy, Portugal et al & perhaps if they pull out of the Euro

then the whole thing will collapse and they'll be left with junk bonds which are worthless.

If they do pull out..... it's gonna be bumpy!

On the more global economic situation....

Anyone been keeping up with Max Keiser on You tube over in the US?... Just awesome!

"Goldman Sachs are scum"... "Paulson and the rest of the banking terrorists...no different to Osama Bin Laden"

"Put them(Wall Street) all out of business and just buy Silver or Gold"

Edit Add: Max Keiser.com latest report

Also I'd just add about my above post that another reason why France & Germany may have difficulty pulling out of the Euro is that

despite all the clamour of transaprency in the global banking sector since 2008 - we still seem to have no idea how much actual cross border

indebtedness exists even between different EU member states let alone globally. IIRC BNP Paribas and Lloyds TSB have announced securitisation schemes very recently and you do have to worry just a little as to what's coming.

May I ask what your background is – Have you lived in Norway all your life...?

Aye, Oslo born and raised :)

I was strip searched in Oslo! Well, at the airport.

I see their border agencies are a bit more efficient than the idle bastards the UK employs! ;)

Land Rover hiring 1000 production operatives for their Solihull Plant, on a £29k basic. Bet they'll get 15,000+ applications.

At least that's a bit of good news.

Does my head in how the UK's manufacturing base has been decimated over the past few decades.

We lead the world in some areas of enginneering & technological design

only to have it snapped up and the ensuing products made abroad.

I'm minded of the Energy post above and Monday night's Panorama particularly in regard to renewable energy

Cumbria is a world leader in Hydro-Technology and Gilkes in Kendal hold the world's very first patent on water turbines.

The stuff they do is just amazing and what's more they try and buy at least some parts from the UK.

It's just absurd that we're not manufacturing renewable energy products... almost all of the solar panels being fitted are imported from China

not to mention wind and hydro turbines being shipped in from abroad en masse.

We're having to pay for the stuff so at least let's manufacturer it as much as we can in the UK.

We have a huge opportunity with green renewables to utilise the slack in manufacturing, so please can someone,

somewhere excercise some joined up thinking and get Britain making and growing more of it's own.

We're having to pay for the stuff so at least let's manufacturer it as much as we can in the UK.

We have a huge opportunity with green renewables to utilise the slack in manufacturing, so please can someone,

somewhere excercise some joined up thinking and get Britain making and growing more of it's own.

It would be doable if the factory workers in the UK were willing to take jobs for £300 a month with no health care or pension benefits, like the Chinese workers do.

If not, the production company will still buy the parts from China.

Land Rover hiring 1000 production operatives for their Solihull Plant, on a £29k basic. Bet they'll get 15,000+ applications.

At least that's a bit of good news.

Does my head in how the UK's manufacturing base has been decimated over the past few decades.

We lead the world in some areas of enginneering & technological design

only to have it snapped up and the ensuing products made abroad.

I'm minded of the Energy post above and Monday night's Panorama particularly in regard to renewable energy

Cumbria is a world leader in Hydro-Technology and Gilkes in Kendal hold the world's very first patent on water turbines.

The stuff they do is just amazing and what's more they try and buy at least some parts from the UK.

It's just absurd that we're not manufacturing renewable energy products... almost all of the solar panels being fitted are imported from China

not to mention wind and hydro turbines being shipped in from abroad en masse.

Well this Gvmt's track record is appalling here. Look at the way they stopped market leadership "loan" and notice that was a loan for Sheffield Forgemasters. Look at the way they allowed the Bombadier work move out of Derby- something they could have stopped.

Both were done to favour their own sponsors not surprisingly

Well this Gvmt's track record is appalling here. Look at the way they stopped market leadership "loan" and notice that was a loan for Sheffield Forgemasters. Look at the way they allowed the Bombadier work move out of Derby- something they could have stopped.

The point I saw made over and over was that to stop the contract going to Siemens would have been illegal.

The point I saw made over and over was that to stop the contract going to Siemens would have been illegal.

Total myth, spread by the Tory party to help spin their case

Hammond has admitted that the Gvmt are within their legal rights to stop this happening - going to Germany.

Total myth, spread by the Tory party to help spin their case

Hammond has admitted that the Gvmt are within their legal rights to stop this happening - going to Germany.

So the current Prime Minister blatently lied to the public?

What case were they trying to spin? I'd have thought they'd have liked to give this contract to a UK company and keep the investment and jobs here. Why wouldn't they do it if they could?

and notice that was a loan for Sheffield Forgemasters

So if i present you with a flawed business plan will you lend me money for it ?

otal myth, spread by the Tory party to help spin their case

got any more straws or shall I send you some ?

I think it was more about the difference of about £500m in financing costs for the government over the course of the contract ...

and notice that was a loan for Sheffield Forgemasters

So if i present you with a flawed business plan will you lend me money for it ?

otal myth, spread by the Tory party to help spin their case

got any more straws or shall I send you some ?

I think it was more about the difference of about £500m in financing costs for the government over the course of the contract ...

Ssshh Tony dont let reason get in the way.

Forgemasters have since decided that the plans for the original press weren't actually that strong, so it looks like a bullet dodged there.

I think we all know that Labour played politics in offering the loan knowing they wouldn't have to fulfil it , of course it could then be argued that the coalition played politics in then removing it but pretty much everything i read about suggested it was a flawed business plan

I notice though that there is no mention from our left sided friends about the £36m loan that the government gave to Foregmasters last month as part of the nationwide Regional Growth Fund

We have British Gypsum flying the flag for UK manufacturing up in Kirkby Thore, in Cumbria

Erm....wait a minute ....

Found out last night at a Trust Board meeting that if you want them to assist with a community project financially you have to go through the head office in France.

You couldn't make it up what's been allowed to happen in the UK,.........you really couldn't!

Â