economic situation is dire

ianrobo1

If it is just something being held on to then it is unproductive.

It has been said that this was exactly Browns take on it as well...

Doesn't explain the announcing the intent to sell in advance though :confused:

If it is just something being held on to then it is unproductive.

It has been said that this was exactly Browns take on it as well...

Doesn't explain the announcing the intent to sell in advance though :confused:

I guess he'd say it was something about transpayrunsee. Whether that washes is another question.

never mind the 9 billion in Gold what about the 100 billion per year we loose each year through tax evasion....?

the last dozen or so responses were to your own question of why did he sell the Gold.

Where do you get this figure of £100bn for tax evasion. I have googled it and couldn't find anywhere stating anything near that figure. If you could let me know I'll check it out. thanks

Snowy - I think the biggest thing wrong that Brown did was actually announce it to the world that he was going to sell the Gold beforehand.

Gold is a commodity which works on supply and demand, therefore when it was known the market was going to be awash with the stuff

without any form of deliberate price reduction action the price naturally fell.

He would have been better off perhaps selling a bit at a time and in private.

Perhaps Julie yes, but what's a few thousand million $ between friends hey

As for Greece, ok they've declared themselves bankrupt, who's picking up the tab ??

And as for Greece, do they just relaunch aa Greece 2012 ltd ?

Snowy - I think the biggest thing wrong that Brown did was actually announce it to the world that he was going to sell the Gold beforehand.

Gold is a commodity which works on supply and demand, therefore when it was known the market was going to be awash with the stuff

without any form of deliberate price reduction action the price naturally fell.

He should have sold perhaps a bit at a time and in private.

That's all fair enough and it's a sensible criticism (though there's surely an argument against a simplistic supply and demand model).

It could, therefore, condemn Gordo for 'losing' (or perhaps not realizing) whatever was the delta between the price at the time the announcement was made and the average over the duration of the auctions. It may still be argued that this isn't particularly accurate (as it would have required the price to stay the same as when he announced it even when there was an increased supply - announced or not) but it would at least have some amount of reason to it.

never mind the 9 billion in Gold what about the 100 billion per year we loose each year through tax evasion....?

the last dozen or so responses were to your own question of why did he sell the Gold.

Where do you get this figure of £100bn for tax evasion. I have googled it and couldn't find anywhere stating anything near that figure. If you could let me know I'll check it out. thanks

I don't know exactly the amount.

Your missing the point which is that lot of people get away without paying billions in tax - yet few people seem to be discussing that...!

Your missing the point which is that lot of people get away without paying billions in tax - yet few people seem to be discussing that...!

Never mind the Gold.

THIS....!http://www.tuc.org.uk/touchstone/Missingbillions/1missingbillions.pdf

Having seen what happens in Cyprus with the Greeks....... it's not just tax evasion over in that part of the world, it's the amount of corruption.

Even the Russians are shocked at how corrupt the Greeks are and they're bad enough.

Greek banks make our lot look like Saints in comparison.

Never mind the Gold.

THIS....!http://www.tuc.org.uk/touchstone/Missingbillions/1missingbillions.pdf

You are not really quoting the TUC as an impartial source of information are you?

No i'm certain that lots of money is missed through Tax evasion. But to discuss it you really need to check some facts first, rather than make wildly inaccurate statements. And to quote the TUC, an organisation which pays the labour party is a bit rich

No i'm certain that lots of money is missed through Tax evasion. But to discuss it you really need to check some facts first, rather than make wildly inaccurate statements. And to quote the TUC, an organisation which pays the labour party is a bit rich

There is not just one stat out there. There are lots and lots which indicate that there is a lot of money which goes missing through tax evasion every year. I will not quote ever figure as I have already put a report out...!

CHEERS.

Â