economic situation is dire

ianrobo1

(retail) companies do seem to be slashing prices left right and centre, in the run up to Xmas. I'd guess the leisure industry might also follow suit, to a lesser extent.

and with fuel and food prices falling again, surely inflation has to plummet?

(retail) companies do seem to be slashing prices left right and centre, in the run up to Xmas. I'd guess the leisure industry might also follow suit, to a lesser extent.

and with fuel and food prices falling again, surely inflation has to plummet?

Yup, negative inflation: deflation. It's a vicious circle that's started and we can se the effects.

Only people that can stop it is ourselves, by spending money. That's not going to happen unitl we have the confidence to do so, and that's quite far off right now. Until people start making bonus's, have certainty that their job is safe etc it will continue.

vicious circle ain't it and the only peopel to stop it is government

thats what happened in the 30's and needs to happen now (the 80's was different)

so fully expect large government projects to be greenlighted and also try and push the building of new power stations etc.

As posted elsewhere - we haven't even fully scoped the problems yet, so solutionising at this stage is always going to be problematic. What we can be sure of is that the current system does not work and is not robust. So now is the time to push some radical solutions through

Number One - abolish VAT and add 4p onto income tax

VAT should be scrapped anyway as the poorest in society are the ones who spend the highest proportion of their income on it. Plus it's just a stupid administrative nightmare.

Govt gives Joe Bloggs 20 quid income benefit.

Joe pays 20 quid to sky for his daytime 700 channel fix

2.97 of which is VAT, due to be paid to the govt.

Sky buy services from company A and so claim back the VAT.

company A buy x amount of services from company B and so claim back the VAT..

and so on

and so on

through the system until you get to

an original producer who has no other suppliers and thus has to hand over the money to HMRC.

Each company along the way have to account for their treatment of the money (as it belongs to HMRC not them), yet they don't get compensated for collecting the govt's tax?

An utterly ludicrous system of taxation.

vicious circle ain't it and the only peopel to stop it is government

thats what happened in the 30's and needs to happen now (the 80's was different)

I'm not so sure that is what happened in the 30's. There was no real expansionist spending on the levels being talked about now.nd govt debt wasn't twice the size of GDP.

so fully expect large government projects to be greenlighted and also try and push the building of new power stations etc.
So pushing ahead with non-radical solutions instead then. More of the same only more of it and bigger.

Last time price cuts were announced, in 2007, most came into effect in March and April after the cold winter period had passed.

How convenient.

The greed of these energy companies is unbelievable.

And that would be a good place to start. Stop the greed.

As posted elsewhere - we haven't even fully scoped the problems yet, so solutionising at this stage is always going to be problematic. What we can be sure of is that the current system does not work and is not robust. So now is the time to push some radical solutions through

Number One - abolish VAT and add 4p onto income tax

VAT should be scrapped anyway as the poorest in society are the ones who spend the highest proportion of their income on it. Plus it's just a stupid administrative nightmare.

Govt gives Joe Bloggs 20 quid income benefit.

Joe pays 20 quid to sky for his daytime 700 channel fix

2.97 of which is VAT, due to be paid to the govt.

Sky buy services from company A and so claim back the VAT.

company A buy x amount of services from company B and so claim back the VAT..

and so on

and so on

through the system until you get to

an original producer who has no other suppliers and thus has to hand over the money to HMRC.

Each company along the way have to account for their treatment of the money (as it belongs to HMRC not them), yet they don't get compensated for collecting the govt's tax?

An utterly ludicrous system of taxation.

Yep I'm with you there, time for radical changes....well actually some of us could see changes were needed long before the shit hit the fan.....but will it happen? Will it F*ck...we'll try and spend our way out of it....so short sighted it's untrue.

especially if in the new year the gas and electric costs come down..

And that is far from certain to happen.

Southern have already announced fuel price cuts from January, so thats Southern, Swalec, Scottish Hydro and Atlantic. I'm fairly sure the market will follow suit but its a bit of a bugger right now as I was about to consult uswitch when this was announced

especially if in the new year the gas and electric costs come down..

And that is far from certain to happen.

Southern have already announced fuel price cuts from January..

Where have they announced it, Bicks?

All I have seen was what I quoted earlier that they are 'hoping' to introduce cuts.

hmm can't find it snowy, I was going off the story on 5Live yesterday, which had an SSE spokesman on and some bloke from an Energy suppliers umbrella organisation als. I may have misinterpreted the article but I was sure they said southern had announced reductions in January

hmm can't find it snowy, I was going off the story on 5Live yesterday, which had an SSE spokesman on and some bloke from an Energy suppliers umbrella organisation als. I may have misinterpreted the article but I was sure they said southern had announced reductions in January

Ah, okay.

Perhaps they have then - I wasn't meaning to doubt that you had heard something but I couldn't find it either and I'd have thought they'd have been shouting it from the rooftops.

I still think it's a tad brave of them. :D

Was it on 5live drive?

not sure of the timing snowy and it may even have been the day before, I'm on nights this week so its all a bit of a blur............

They'll probably defer a decision until they've worked out how much money they owe me (£440 on the electricity account, still waiting on the gas - I intend to cash in whilst the unit price is high :nod:)

edit: Buy Low sell high, thats how to win the energy game isnt it? ;)

Â