Decisions, decisions...

Don_Simon

Villa win Premier League v England win World Cup  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Villa win Premier League v England win World Cup

• Villa and The Premiership?
    • England and the Jules Rimet?

I think there are more than you think. And you may think they have no interest in football before the England games, but you may be surprised. I get it all the time... People thinking Im in the pub watching the game for the one match - when I tell them I'm actually a Season Ticket holder, I get the look of disbelief.

Same, I spend most of my time/money watching Everton. It's what I love to do, and I get the old :o look when I tell them I go all the time.

I think what he meant were "some women" who normally wouldn't have an interest but get excited during the world cup.

Sounds like my mates, oh and they come out when Liverpool win a trophy as well :x

England winning the world cup. The greater good and all that.

indeed. the whole country would just be euphoric. Even some women!

I'd be celebrating with my mates for days, most (all) of whom aren't Villa fans.

the country would get such a massive feel good boost from it. Pubs would benefit immensely.

Must I point out the part that made me surprised enough to quote...? :shock:

It would help, but i'll take a wild guess that it's the party about wimmin?

just to extrapolate:

I've followed England quite a bit, and, in my experience, the further england progress in a competition like the world cup, the more wimmin i see gradually coming out to support them (albeit in the pub, often with their blokes and mates).

these are usually women who, in my experience, for 99% of the time have no interest in football whatsoever. They also don't tend to have watched the earlier games, or the qualifiers.

But when the Gen Public get whipped up into a nationalistic frenzy becuase the buys are doing well in the WC, every man (and woman) and his/her dog seem to come out to watch.

This is based on a few QF's and a Semi. Imagine the frenzy if we ever got to the final.

Even some women!!!! lol....

I think there are more than you think. And you may think they have no interest in football before the England games, but you may be surprised. I get it all the time... People thinking Im in the pub watching the game for the one match - when I tell them I'm actually a Season Ticket holder, I get the look of disbelief.

I think what he meant were "some women" who normally wouldn't have an interest but get excited during the world cup.

And there are a lot of them. A lot of blokes too mind you.

Nowt wrong with being patriotic I don't think.

Plus, more people to drink with is always good :D

England winning the world cup. The greater good and all that.

indeed. the whole country would just be euphoric. Even some women!

I'd be celebrating with my mates for days, most (all) of whom aren't Villa fans.

the country would get such a massive feel good boost from it. Pubs would benefit immensely.

Must I point out the part that made me surprised enough to quote...? :shock:

It would help, but i'll take a wild guess that it's the party about wimmin?

just to extrapolate:

I've followed England quite a bit, and, in my experience, the further england progress in a competition like the world cup, the more wimmin i see gradually coming out to support them (albeit in the pub, often with their blokes and mates).

these are usually women who, in my experience, for 99% of the time have no interest in football whatsoever. They also don't tend to have watched the earlier games, or the qualifiers.

But when the Gen Public get whipped up into a nationalistic frenzy becuase the buys are doing well in the WC, every man (and woman) and his/her dog seem to come out to watch.

This is based on a few QF's and a Semi. Imagine the frenzy if we ever got to the final.

Even some women!!!! lol....

And there are a lot of them. A lot of blokes too mind you.

correct Mr Stephenson.

And you may think they have no interest in football before the England games, but you may be surprised

i know what you are saying Laura, and fair play to you, but i'm going from my experience, based upon women (women i know) that i know for a fact do not follow football, yet get whipped up into a frenzy when england do well in the world cup. There are many of them, but as Stevo also says, there are many blokes like this too.

indeed. I wasn't casting aspersions, or knocking it. Just pointing out that IMHO, that is what tends to happen.

indeed. I wasn't casting aspersions, or knocking it. Just pointing out that IMHO, that is what tends to happen.

I do see your point. I think you would still be surprised. (Even just a little bit...)

And contrary to popular belief... We don't all watch the football for the legs, right Artetasgirl? :D

I do see your point. I think you would still be surprised. (Even just a little bit...)

And contrary to popular belief... We don't all watch the football for the legs, right Artetasgirl? :D

Not at all :D (although sometimes it helps :P )

No you're absolutely right. I actually like it when there are so many people taking an interest in the sport. I'm guilty of it myself with sports like tennis.

I do think it is more noticeable with women though. just because if you go to a pub during your standard Aston Villa game there will be mostly blokes watching the game in a pub. There will be women, but they will be outnumbered quite vastly.

I think the proportion changes during the world cup etc. And if they don't change us blokes notice the increase in women more than we notice the increase in blokes. Hormones may have an effect ;)

No you're absolutely right. I actually like it when there are so many people taking an interest in the sport. I'm guilty of it myself with sports like tennis.

I do think it is more noticeable with women though. just because if you go to a pub during your standard Aston Villa game there will be mostly blokes watching the game in a pub. There will be women, but they will be outnumbered quite vastly.

I think the proportion changes during the world cup etc. And if they don't change us blokes notice the increase in women more than we notice the increase in blokes. Hormones may have an effect ;)

Cricket for example... How many people do you know that follow England - but not necessarily follow Lancashire or someone. Seems to be more socially acceptable to do that with cricket as it does football though.

I know quite a few people who openly say they will support England with full passion when they are playing but don't necessary follow a league side.

And yes, I am quite sure you men do notice the slight upturn in the numbers of women in your pub... :winkold:

Haha, exactly right.

And yes it is noticeable with cricket, although I will gladly say I am not guilty of it with that sport. You'd have to tie me down and heavily sedate me to get me to watch a cricket match!

I think tennis is the only sport I really do it with, but even then I keep up with the results, I just don't watch it much until Wimbledon rolls around.

Â