Organ Donation, opt in or opt out?

paddy

Should organ donation be opt in or opt out?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Should organ donation be opt in or opt out?

• Opt in (and I do currently)
    • Opt in (and I don't currently)
    • Opt out (which I would)
    • Opt out (which I wouldn't)

I would be fully against an "opt-out system" no government should have the right to decide what to do with your body or organs in the event of your death. If anything, the decision should be up to your next of kin and yes it should be driven by money. When I die I expect my body like my possessions to become the property and responsibility of my family who will treat my body in accordance with the wishes expressed in my will, in the absense of such they make the decisions themselves. Now like most of my other possessions my internal organs have a monetary value, they are worth something and this value will fluctuate determined by quality and demand. Why should my next of kin not be compensated if my organs are transplanted? They may choose not to be or alternatively I may have already stated a desire for the organs to be donated.

Selling organs for money is getting into seriously dodgy ground for me. I also find it completely abhorrent that you would even wish to sell your organs, which will be useless to you, to the highest bidder, how utterly disgusting. Don't really know how you can think like that.

I wouldn't really care if my organs were used after my death ..it's not like I would need them ..

My wife though i think would object ..she would kinda feel that I wasn't complete as I was being laid to rest

not sure on the logic of that , but she is a believer in heaven and what not , so i guess that may affect her views

It's been a while since I applied for a driving license but it used to be that you opted in or out at that point .. as it was 21 years ago I couldn't tell you what option I ticked .. and i couldn't say whether or not my answer from 21 years ago would be the same answer I'd give today

so if you give an answer today , would there be a route for you to change your mind at a later date if you so wished

guess the other concern would be ..will the organs usage be regulated or will we find them being sold off to the highest bidder ?

My wife though i think would object ..she would kinda feel that I wasn't complete as I was being laid to rest

isn;t that what a lot of people say but as I will be burnt anyway might as well make use of me for someone else to live a normal life

I haven't read any of this thread so forgive me if my post is wayyyyy off the current theme of the topic.

I would be all in favour of an opt out scheme, and I wouldn't opt out. This is strange as I don't currently opt in, but it is something I intend to do. I'm a blood donor and a bone marrow donor so I have no problem with people using what I don't need when I'm long gone.

Opt out for me isn't the government dictating what to do with your organs. You still get the chance to say you don't want to be included, it would just mean that all those people, me included, who intend to become an organ donor btu never get round to it, wouldn't have to. In this way, people who don't want to donate their organs have ample opportunity to opt out annd the end result, I believe, would be more organs being available.

So I'm all for it.

• 10 months later...

Saturday Swap Shop

Israeli organ donors to get transplant priority

Israel is to become the first country to give donor card carriers a legal right to priority treatment if they should require an organ transplant.

The law has been changed to try to boost donation rates, as there is a shortage for organs for donation.

Partners and close relatives of those with signed donor cards will also move up the queue, The Lancet medical journal reports.

Critics say patients should be treated on the basis of clinical need.

Writing in The Lancet, Professor Jacob Lavee, of the Sheba Medical Centre, one of the leading advocates for the reform, describes Israel's organ donation statistics as "grim".

Only one in 10 adults in Israel carries a donor card. In the UK about one in four adults is on the organ donor register.

.....more

Seems like a good idea to me. Carrots instead of sticks.

Saturday Swap Shop

Israeli organ donors to get transplant priority

Israel is to become the first country to give donor card carriers a legal right to priority treatment if they should require an organ transplant.

The law has been changed to try to boost donation rates, as there is a shortage for organs for donation.

Partners and close relatives of those with signed donor cards will also move up the queue, The Lancet medical journal reports.

Critics say patients should be treated on the basis of clinical need.

Writing in The Lancet, Professor Jacob Lavee, of the Sheba Medical Centre, one of the leading advocates for the reform, describes Israel's organ donation statistics as "grim".

Only one in 10 adults in Israel carries a donor card. In the UK about one in four adults is on the organ donor register.

.....more

Seems like a good idea to me. Carrots instead of sticks.

Sounds great to me, something we should look at in the UK. Seems only fair that those willing to give their organs to others when they no longer need them are favoured to receive someone elses when in need. Fair play to them, somehow I think someone would have a complaint to make about it here though.

Â