Organ Donation, opt in or opt out?

paddy

Should organ donation be opt in or opt out?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Should organ donation be opt in or opt out?

• Opt in (and I do currently)
    • Opt in (and I don't currently)
    • Opt out (which I would)
    • Opt out (which I wouldn't)

the ultimate green gesture isn;t it ?

you've lost me, Ian. :|

burn organs - carbon released !!

Bury the organs, fertilize the soil for plants.

Transplant the organs, keep a person alive and consuming carbon and so forth.

Genocide is the ultimate green gesture.

Once I'm gone, they can use my body for anything they like. Organ transplants, fun and games for medical students, fertiliser, dog food, I'm not bothered. Make use of it, I won't need it anymore.

I currently opt in. Last time we had this poll I voted for an opt out scheme, but after consideration I've changed my mind to opt in, on libertarian/personal conscience principles. I'd educate like mad to persuade people to opt in though.

I feel physically sick at some of the views on here.

Disgusting self self self attitude

*Looks for pun due to being caught out many times before*

I don't think there was any pun there. I think it was just an opportunity to slag off anonymous posters.

I don't think there was any pun there. I think it was just an opportunity to slag off anonymous posters.

Can I have your wit and wisdom when you go?

As the discussion surrounds the subject of offering those less fortunate an opportunity to access something crucial to life to which they might otherwise not have access then by all means....

I just think it should be opt out to catch all the lazy bastards and all the 'oh I would if I could be bothered to' type people. But me as an unlazy bastard would choose to opt out. That's all. I fully see the benefits of the opt out scheme and agree with its usefulness. Infact I started the previous opt-out thread on here :thumb: People mainly had issue around rights despite rights not changing, just the default option. Everyone's still free to do exactly what they want to.

Sorry if someone asked this before but I may have missed the answer.

Is there a lower or upper age limit on organ donation?

I'm not sure what you are asking, Paddy?

There is no age limit to joining the organ donor register but that doesn't really matter when the decision rests with the family/next of kin after death.

As the discussion surrounds the subject of offering those less fortunate an opportunity to access something crucial to life to which they might otherwise not have access then by all means....

Ladies and gentlemen, I think we have the greatest riposte in VT history.

I honestly find it hard to see how anyone could be against the opt out system. If you don't want to donate for your own reasons that is your perogative - but there are clearly many people that would donate but don't carry a card or let their family know and many people waiting for an organ die because of this.

I heard yesterday that 4 out of 10 relatives refuse permission for taking organs of their loved one - I find this statistic quite shocking. I can't quite believe that as many as 4 in 10 would object; is this due to the fact that they have simply not signed up for organ donation or let a relative know? Especially considering 90% of people said they support organ donation when polled in 2003. (Source: UK Transplant Society)

I think we'd all know which side we'd fall on if God forbid a loved one or we; required an organ.

Is perhaps the only real issue of Opt Out - Consent and the ethical boundaries that surround it?

Sorry if someone asked this before but I may have missed the answer.

Is there a lower or upper age limit on organ donation?

I'm not sure what you are asking, Paddy?

There is no age limit to joining the organ donor register but that doesn't really matter when the decision rests with the family/next of kin after death.

I think Padders may mean "when does an organ go past it's "use by" date"?

if someone aged say 65 died and had a donor card, would their organs be fit for purpose to transplant into another person (of similar age than needed one) or would the doctors be looking for a younger donor?

i'd guess at the young end of the spectrum, a young kid in need of a donor would need an organ from someone of similar age?

And may I also add, that the reason I believe that there are more people that would donate but don't carry a card or let their family know is because I am one of those people...

I have never thought about it before until this was brought to my attention and I 100% support the cause and have since signed up online to be an organ donor. Had anything happened to me prior to yesterday, I am saddened to think that my organs would have been wasted and by not taking 30 seconds (because that's all it took me to sign up...) out of my life, I would have not possibly helped someone prolong their life.

I am glad that this debate, if nothing else, might prompt people to 'Opt In'...

Is perhaps the only real issue of Opt Out - Consent and the ethical boundaries that surround it?

that seems to be the line that quite a few are taking on here, yes.

I can understand that position, but it's not one i agree with.

for 2 reasons mainly:

1. implied consent. If someone has not opted out, that means that they either agree to the use of their organs, or are not bothered either way, once they are dead. If they were vehemently against it, surely they would opt-out.

2. Once you're gone, you're gone. What does it matter what is done to your living vessel on earth once you have vacated it. Let someone else benefit, as your body is of no use to you any more.

First it's this, you know, your dead who cares, then Soylent Green, well it's wastful, all that meat, their dead... lets resell, then perhaps Logan's Run, if people live over thirty, the meat gets all stringy and you a bit tough to eat... Government knows best.

that seems to be the line that quite a few are taking on here, yes.

I can understand that position, but it's not one i agree with.

for 2 reasons mainly:

1. implied consent. If someone has not opted out, that means that they either agree to the use of their organs, or are not bothered either way, once they are dead. If they were vehemently against it, surely they would opt-out.

2. Once you're gone, you're gone. What does it matter what is done to your living vessel on earth once you have vacated it. Let someone else benefit, as your body is of no use to you any more.

But despite all of that perfect sense Jon, it seems that some would rather take the selfish view, one often pointed towards certain political parties, and refuse this because of which political party was in power at the time of the decision.

I suppose it shows a lot about the person

Â