Organ Donation, opt in or opt out?

paddy

Should organ donation be opt in or opt out?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Should organ donation be opt in or opt out?

• Opt in (and I do currently)
    • Opt in (and I don't currently)
    • Opt out (which I would)
    • Opt out (which I wouldn't)

A couple of reasons why it might be right DDID.

If Paddys article there is anything to go by, the presumed consent is at the will of the relatives. If they say no when you hop the twig, you're out. (and incidently, as Bicks I think earlier said, that's not on either. If you said yes, in sound mind and all that, thats final imo)

And leading on from that, it mya have something to do with, as I suggested, not many people are actually want to donate and when asked, said they'd opt out.

If Paddys article there is anything to go by, the presumed consent is at the will of the relatives. If they say no when you hop the twig, you're out.

But that certainly wouldn't lead to less people doing it than do currently.

And leading on from that, it mya have something to do with, as I suggested, not many people are actually want to donate and when asked, said they'd opt out.

If Paddys article there is anything to go by, the presumed consent is at the will of the relatives. If they say no when you hop the twig, you're out.

And as the article says, it wouldn't necessarily make any more either.

I think the general problem here, as with many issues in the world today, is that people don't like being told what to do by the government.

Well boo-hoo. This is life and death. Get over it.

I've voted 'Opt out (which I wouldn't)' though the choice I want isn't there - once your dead, the medical profession can take whatever it needs to save other people's lives.

No. But logic would suggest that it would probably increase, even if not by much.

For example, under presumed consent somebody would get my organs. At the moment, nobody would.

So chalk up one extra as a bare minimum.

I think the general problem here, as with many issues in the world today, is that people don't like being told what to do by the government.

It is not a case of 'not liking' - it is a case of fundamentally objecting.

And as a retort to the poster earlier saying

If critically ill would you accept an organ transplant INTO your body ?

If you answer yes to that question you automatically agree to donate your organs at death

I would not accept an organ that had not been voluntarily donated and I am glad to volunteer my organs for donation.

I will not be 'volunteered' into anything.

dead simple really

If I died early and I can help others then so what

what else happens to them, in my case would get burnt

the ultimate green gesture isn;t it ?

and you save people as well

for me a no brainer

If you wanted an organ transplant and not enough available then those who would opt out would you forgo your transplant on principle, if you do then great

It is not a case of 'not liking' - it is a case of fundamentally objecting.

And as a retort to the poster earlier saying

If critically ill would you accept an organ transplant INTO your body ?

If you answer yes to that question you automatically agree to donate your organs at death

I would not accept an organ that had not been voluntarily donated and I am glad to volunteer my organs for donation.

I will not be 'volunteered' into anything.

Even if it meant somebody dying in order to make some anti-government stand?

If you wanted an organ transplant and not enough available then those who would opt out would you forgo your transplant on principle, if you do then great

Unfortunately, while that sounds all fair and good, it's not quite the way the NHS works, nor should it. It is a choice to volunteer to donate. If I required a donated organ, I should be entitled to it (when it comes to my turn, of course) regardless of whether I'd signed up to do it myself.

I do suddenly feel I may have directed this worryingly close to 2 tier NHS medical care and all that jazz with this though...:oops:

If I required a donated organ, I should be entitled to it (when it comes to my turn, of course) regardless of whether I'd signed up to do it myself.

but what if there aren't enough organs?

If you think that you make your point well by ridiculing a principle which someone else holds then I think that you are mistaken.

I don't mean to ridicule any point that you make.

Merely trying to understand where you are coming from - as I am struggling to understand the logic. Some elucidation would be appreciated.

If I required a donated organ, I should be entitled to it (when it comes to my turn, of course) regardless of whether I'd signed up to do it myself.

at the moment clinical need

but surely those who would nto donate woul find the thought of other body parts in thier body wrong ?

Then that'd be the way it goes, unfortunately for me in that scenario.

Of course I'd want as many donors as possible out there. So long as they were all choosing to be in and not assumed that they should be.

at the moment clinical need

but surely those who would nto donate woul find the thought of other body parts in thier body wrong ?

Not necessarily.

Â