Band of Brothers fans...

trekka

The only two characters I know are Robert Leckie and Eugene Sledge. Sledgehammer is by far by favourite character, followed by the old, bald sargeant (I'm sorta proving everyones point here) but he left it when he lost the plot.

---- SPOILER ----

Episode 8 had a horrible inevitability about it. I knew what they were doing for the whole episode. And it further hammers home the futility of war and the cheapness of life in it. Good episode and a lovely lady :)

---- END ----

The series has ended over here and I thought it was brilliant and very well done. Part 9 is probably my favorite.

About the names - It's probably easy for me to keep track since I'm familiar with the books the series is based on, but they do say each other's names quite a bit. Leckie's buddies generally only go by their nicknames since Leckie didn't use their real names in his memoir.

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched the final episode. I thought it was a brilliant episode and I particularly liked the way they wrapped it all up. Very well done.

• 5 months later...

The Pacific out now on DVD.

Cheapest I've seen it is Morrisons, for twenty quid. With my daughter's 10% staff discount and a special "double discount" day coming up shortly, that'll be sixteen to me. Lovely jubbly.

• 9 months later...

No I took the odd day off but pretty much always watched them 2 episodes (1 disc) per day. Have to say I enjoyed the final disc more. Particuarly the episode where they discover the concentration camp - "Why we Fight". Man that was very well shot.

I enjoyed it. It was probably built up a little too much to me because pretty much everyone was saying it's the greatest thing they've ever watched (along with The Wire). So I guess I'm just not bowled over by the war genre and find it less enjoyable and more stressful to watch than many of you clearly do.

• 3 months later...

I've finally started watching the Pacific, managed to nab the bluray boxset from work (absolutely mint too :D). Watched 2 episodes last night and, while I can already tell it's not a Band of Brothers, I enjoyed it.

My main issue with it is that it seems very disjointed in it's narrative. Band of Brothers took you with 1 group of men, with the odd addition here and there, from beginning to end. This hops around between different groups experiencing slightly different perspectives of the same conflicts it seems and, when there are less conspicuous shots of the main characters there (Leckie, for example), it's a bit disorientating as to who exactly we're dealing with.

But saying that, it's been enjoyable so far and I understand it peaks in the middle so I'm looking forward to plugging away at it.

Really enjoyed the pacific, its has a lot more to take in than Band of Brothers.

They have basically made the film by using two books, one published by Leckie (which was boring) and the other, Sledge (boring in parts, but very well written)

I bought both books after watching the box set, but watching it on the box was a lot better. A lot of the side stories i.e leckie getting with the Aussie lass, were not mentioned in the books.

Really enjoyed the pacific, its has a lot more to take in than Band of Brothers.

They have basically made the film by using two books, one published by Leckie (which was boring) and the other, Sledge (boring in parts, but very well written)

I bought both books after watching the box set, but watching it on the box was a lot better. A lot of the side stories i.e leckie getting with the Aussie lass, were not mentioned in the books.

That's because it wasn't really based on those two books.

It was based on Hugh Ambrose (son of Stephen)'s book "The Pacific". Ambrose certainly used the Leckie and Sledge books as source material, but he also used much, much more - some of which ended up in the film, some didn't.

The John Basilone story is in there, and there is a fourth narrative, about carrier dive-bomber pilot Vernon “Mike” Micheel, which wasn't in the film at all (I would imagine because they couldn't get hold of - or simulate - the right ships and planes).

In a parallel to many peoples' reactions to the two mini-series, I would have to say that - good though the "Pacific" book is - Hugh is not a patch on his dad as a writer.

I haven't read Leckie's book, although I was intrigued to discover that he wrote it after seeing a postwar production of Rogers & Hammersteins' "South Pacific", and was disgusted that the campaign had been reduced to a song-and-dance act.

I have read Sledge, and I certainly didn't find it "boring in parts", I thought it was gripping from start to finish. But then I'm a WWII nerd as well as a fan of great writing.

Â