If we sign Baros will you be happy?

paddy

If we signed Baros would you be happy with the summer spending "spree"  

76 members have voted

1. 1. If we signed Baros would you be happy with the summer spending "spree"

• Yes, couldn't expect any more really
    • It could be worse
    • No, they still lied to us

The question is hypothetical. Liverpool say repeatedly that they want £7 million for Baros. The Old Codger (trying to penny pinch as usual) offers £6 million and will go no further.

Result? Baros goes elsewhere. This will be another fiasco in the Robbie Keane mould.

Note to HDE OBE: The price is what it says on the tin!

Parker in the same bracket as Rooney?

I certainly wouldn't. This is a make or break season for Parker. If he's not recovered well from this lengthly lay off then he could lose confidence.

Anyways back on topic :

I don't quite know if DOL can buy another striker if he doesn't get Baros... You really only need one big signing to start and influence other players to think we are going places. That incentive alone should allow anyone to see the benefit of shelling out a few quid for a biggish name like Baros.

I voted no they still lied to us because weren't we supposed to have 20m and 4 quality players and 3 cheap ones well we have 3 cheap ones and IMO one quality player in kev IF we get baros that means there should be one more quality player and i cant see us buying anyone else

I think the signings so far have been pretty good, but none are of the exiting sort......... I seems to be a lack of ambition at the club and everytime a quality player is talked about in the transfer marked DOL seems to be more concerned about putting out any fires that would even suggest that villa would be interested insted off showing some intrest and atleast look into signing them. Even if we would not get them in the end at least that would show that they are trying....... As off now it seems like they are happy with the squad and we can look forward to another midtable finnish.

The squad is like Ellis himself. It's small, does not contain enough talent for the job in hand and both needed major surgery in the summer.

Ellis got his surgery, the squad got an elastoplast.

Even IF Baros comes the words were still much bigger than the actions and I will be watching yet more mediocre football at VP. So no they will still have lied to us.

Well, still it would be better than nothing. Did they actually go out and say "We'll spend £20m on players!"? Wasn't that jus newspapers speculation when they said "we have significant funds!"? Still, we haven't seen this "significant funds" yet, maybe cause there aren't any, but the window is not closed. Baros would still be a good signing, I think. Though I also think we need more signings.

not happy, no - but it would do. fact is, we need to replace vassell - but im not sure that Baros can fill the gap - as in somebody who helps build up to goals, as we already have 2 if not 3 strikers who can put the ball in the net given the chance.

Happiness or not will really be determined once the season starts, and results are gained or lost.

All this closed season anguish is a bit of a product of the interweb. Sure we've had it for years, but chatting on 'puters about signings (or not) makes it more "real"

in the end we are just waiting to see what happens.

When the significant funds was announced, we, or at leat I, hoped (but didn't believe) we'd sign maybe 2 5 mill plus players, keep the ones we had and be maybe 4 places advanced on our level.

Now we're nearly at the start of the season and we've moved some deckchairs, so to speak, and they're better deckchairs than we had before, but losing DV was a setback, not because he brilliant, but because we missed his pace last year.

Signing Baros may replace that loss and add more goals, so we'd be somewhat better than we were, in theory.

None of that addresses the deception/lies/change of plan/over-egging however you want to put the phrase.

That we all jumped to an instant "at last we're going to wake up and compete" type emotion shows just how deep rooted the desire to be a significant club again is.

Baros or no Baros, the board hasn't taken that tantalising step.

I'll be happier than I am now, but still left like after a chinese meal. Hungry for more

I think that as everton are demonstrating, and Wigan, and West ham, it is one thing to have money to spend, and another altogether to find players to spend it on.

For what its worth I believe that we have money to spend, but have been, as of the time of writing, unable to spend it. The club retains its policy of not paying more than they think a player is worth, and it is also the case that we are not that attractive a proposition.

For me this would be the key thing about acquiring Baros. Regardless of your opinion of him as a player, he is a major name in world football, and a national hero in his homeland, arguably the biggest name we have signed since Merson. yes, I know Angel was a superstar in South America, but no-one in europe really knew who he was.

Being able to attract such a player as Baros would, to my mind, be a major step forward in the club's image, and if the figure of around £6m is to be believed would also represent pretty much what i expected in terms of spending this summer. so happy? Yes, i think so, based off low expectations to begin with.

I agrre with you totally, PB. Baros would be a name who could attract other big names to our club and we really need that. You hit the nail on the head for me, or whatever you say.

Â