Spotify - an online music service

bickster

24 minutes ago, Rolta said:

His story about going to Planet of the Apes was pretty much from the same catagory as your holiday example. And if he said that bit about the body of a black man and the mind of a white man, I'd say that was pretty much in the same catagory too. Pretty much—not 100% but it's in the ballpark.

The problem is that with the racists I met on a regular basis years ago, you didn't need an "offense archaelogist" to dig up suspect utterances. They were obsessed and in your face, in every encounter.

If it wasn't black people it was the Jews, who were a particular favourite and continue to be so.

At school, when kids were on the scrounge for a sweet, they would say, "Gee us a rock, don't be a Jew!".

Every time I was in the curry house at Villa Cross, there would always be a drunk from the pub across the road shouting dog's abuse at the waiters.

33 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

But like "Jaqing off", more descriptive than pejorative!

Not really, I'd never heard the term JAQing off until it was posted here the other day, however that isn't really a dog whistle whereas Activist Lawyer, Offense Archeologist etc are. 

4 minutes ago, Mister_a said:

Nope, it's my pointing out the hypocrisy of spotify.

You're the second person to point out this and its absolutely illogical. Spotify really don't give a shit. They don't give a shit about Rogan's content (or didn't until you know, the current fuss), they don't give a shit about Rolf Harris or Gary Glitter or the Lost Prophets or anyone's history and content.

There really is not hypocrisy here, it is entirely consistent

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MakemineVanilla said:

The problem is that with the racists I met on a regular basis years ago, you didn't need an "offense archaelogist" to dig up suspect utterances. They were obsessed and in your face, in every encounter.

If it wasn't black people it was the Jews, who were a particular favourite and continue to be so.

At school, when kids were on the scrounge for a sweet, they would say, "Gee us a rock, don't be a Jew!".

Every time I was in the curry house at Villa Cross, there would always be a drunk from the pub across the road shouting dog's abuse at the waiters.

Your definition of a racist seems to be very specifically 'someone who shouted something racist in front of you.'

It's not really worth unpacking that. It's just a bit silly. I'll leave you to it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bickster said:

You're the second person to point out this and its absolutely illogical. Spotify really don't give a shit. They don't give a shit about Rogan's content (or didn't until you know, the current fuss), they don't give a shit about Rolf Harris or Gary Glitter or the Lost Prophets or anyone's history and content.

There really is not hypocrisy here, it is entirely consistent

You make a fair point here.

In that case, if you want to narrow it down, it is probably more about the people complaining and their double standards than Spotify.

21 minutes ago, Mister_a said:

You make a fair point here.

In that case, if you want to narrow it down, it is probably more about the people complaining and their double standards than Spotify.

The primary issue with Rogan is him having a platform and being paid crazy amounts to spread, accidentally or naively, misinformation to millions of people, which isn't anything the same as Harris/Lost Prophets and so on being on Spotify. The racism thing draws a parallel for sure, but the financial contract Rogan has with Spotify raises the stakes a lot.

So far Rogan/Spotify have only removed a number of his podcasts. Presumably those are podcasts with questionable content. The equivalent hypocritical action from Spotify would be if they left online songs about paedophilia from Harris/Lost Prophets.

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, magnkarl said:

Or what about this vomit?

Chuck Johnson, known holocaust denier and extreme racist, everyone.

Before posting this stuff you should know this is edited down, the clip is at least 30 seconds long where Rogan argues against this as he brings up the amount of violence by white people, I'm not gonna try and defend the other clip.

I hear that JR has been offered $100m from Rumble to swap platforms, so it looks likely he'll profit even more from the Neil Young debacle.

He might be able to sue Spotify for breach of contract too.

It gives an all new meaning to The Needle and the Damage Done.

Edited by MakemineVanilla

6 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I hear that JR has been offered $100m from Rumble to swap platforms, so it looks likely he'll profit even more from the Neil Young debacle.

I think it's pretty much nailed on that it will be Rogan breaking the contract not Spotify in that instance. Spotify could sue Rogan if he jumped to Rumble for breach of contract but I doubt that would happen given that it would be Spotify's get out of jail free card

12 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

It's just PR. Rumble are well aware neither party is breaking the Spotify contract.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Whatever your point is here, you seem to be awfully flaccid about a man who seems to be spewing out racist comments, misinformation and laughing with someone bragging about having raped 20 women..

It's not a good look for spotify and it's not a good look for JR. If he goes to Rumble he all but confirms he is a far-right grifting S.O.B. Something he's obviously trying very hard to deny at every turn by inviting the odd non-fringe person.

I'd be extremely humble and apologetic when I got back to my wife and two female kids after having been outed with the clip where he's laughing at rape and sexual blackmail. Very careful.

If anything JR stands at risk of being sued like other prominent right-wing loonies. We're all accountable for our words and actions.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, pete101 said:

Before posting this stuff you should know this is edited down, the clip is at least 30 seconds long where Rogan argues against this as he brings up the amount of violence by white people, I'm not gonna try and defend the other clip.

Before defending this you should know that the guy talking is a known KKK-right wing holocaust denier. Is it ok to give someone like that a platform of 200 million people? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mister_a said:

I think he can and should talk to whoever he wants to, and whoever wants to listen to it should be free to do so also.

Not difficult to grasp really is it.

I think broadcasters / media platforms need to adhere to nationally set standards of truthfulness, decency and honesty. Which includes checking facts before broadcast

The media should never be a free for all

• Like 3

Â