Spotify - an online music service

bickster

4 hours ago, Tegis said:

He is going to eat it hard for those

There's going to be so much more stuff as well. 

There's now a clip of him and another comedian Joey Diaz, joking about forcing women into sexual acts in order to allow them to perform on stage in a comedy club.

4 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I recently re-watched the television series The Wire and they even had children saying the N-word.

It reminded me of what Lenny Bruce said, about such words losing their power with constant usage.

Was he right?

Like with the word "Queer" getting reclaimed by Gay people, the N word has been reclaimed by Black people, particularly in America (where the Wire is set and whose Black characters use it). So "no" would be my answer - because if a white person uses the word, then it's (still) very powerfully offensive.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, blandy said:

Like with the word "Queer" getting reclaimed by Gay people, the N word has been reclaimed by Black people, particularly in America (where the Wire is set and whose Black characters use it). So "no" would be my answer - because if a white person uses the word, then it's (still) very powerfully offensive.

What you state is factually correct but does the N word retain its power because it has been ring-fenced?

Edited by MakemineVanilla

17 minutes ago, blandy said:

they even had children saying the N-word.

It reminded me of what Lenny Bruce said, about such words losing their power with constant usage.

3 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

does the N word retain its power because it has been ring-fenced?

I'm unsure of your point, here - firstly you seem to be implying it's lost its power through constant usage, then that because it's been ring fenced it retains its power?

What do you think?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, blandy said:

I'm unsure of your point, here - firstly you seem to be implying it's lost its power through constant usage, then that because it's been ring fenced it retains its power?

What do you think?

I never said that it had lost its power, and I would never use the word.

I wrote what Lenny Bruce said, and asked if there was any truth in it.

I didn't imply anything, I merely asked a question.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I didn't imply anything, I merely asked a question.

There's a lot of this asking questions with no opinion offered going on. It's a bit shit to be perfectly honest

• Like 2

Just now, MakemineVanilla said:

It looks like I've **** up again. Sorry about that. I get carried away, and I once got banned from Woodhall's shitshow for quoting George Eliot, and someone thought I was being a pretentious word removed, and took umbridge.

No **** questions, means no **** questions - its understood!

No, it's not a rule, nor is there anything "wrong" with it. I just think, for me, it's a bit rude to ask questions of everyone else when you haven't said what you think yourself.

3 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Bit of change of subject, but I've been thinking about switching from Spotify to Tidal for better quality audio. Has anyone tried Tidal? If so, how does it compare to Spotify? 

:wave:

For casual listening on a phone with decent headphones the difference is not very noticeable. I certainly wouldn't pay extra for it. It would come down to the catalogue of your choice of music and if it's on there. 
On a proper system I find it much better and way more noticeable. It is easily CD quality. When it comes to their high tier MQA streaming I'm a bit torn. You can definitely hear a difference but I'm not sure its better. Just different. A good recording will sound good either way, and a bad one will sound crap.

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Question? Does spotify still have r kelly songs on there?

If they do then they are utter hypocrites 

I'm sure there's some form of logic hiding in here somewhere. Not sure I can see it though

8 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Probably. I think they pushed back when he wanted to start a pro-rape chat show though.

what kellys done is absolutely disgusting so if rogans materials getting removed remove that monster kellys too if they havent already.

I dont have spotify otherwise i would have checked myself 

Edited by Demitri_C

8 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I recently re-watched the television series The Wire and they even had children saying the N-word.

Was he right?

I thought this thread was big on context? There's quite the difference between the way the word is used on The Wire (in both meaning and even pronunciation) compared to the way it was used by Rogan, which vastly alters its impact.

• Like 4

Â