Spotify - an online music service

bickster

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but saw this bit in an article I was browsing this morning...

When Spotify signed a US$100 million (A$140 million) deal with Rogan in 2020 for the exclusive rights to his podcast the industry took notice. Before this, podcasts were everywhere, and their “platform agnostic” status was central to their appeal for creators and audiences.

The deal was a gamble, but one based on the numbers. As music journalist Ted Gioia put it in May 2020, “Spotify values Rogan more than any musician in the history of the world”. The reason? “A musician would need to generate 23 billion streams on Spotify to earn what they’re paying Joe Rogan for his podcast rights”.

Link

4 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I never think of him in political terms but mainly as just another long line of self-help gurus.

He became known off the back of a pointedly culture war focused political stance. And while he has gone for the self help guru market even that he's coming from the position of classic Christian conservative stances on, particularly around concepts of societal structural systems. 

And outside of the self help crap he's obviously known as a talking head intellectual, invariably on matters relating to politics.

It's kinda hard not to see him as having an agenda.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Hornso said:

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but saw this bit in an article I was browsing this morning...

Link

There’s a distinct lack of logic in that extract. It was a gamble but based on numbers? He's more valuable than any musician because they are paying him more eh? 

• Like 1

Just now, bickster said:

There’s a distinct lack of logic in that extract. It was a gamble but based on numbers? He's more valuable than any musician because they are paying him more eh? 

That's a good point. I was more just blown away by the figure 23 billion.

I think the best description of JR's show that I have heard so far is GOOP for men, supplements, energy drinks, 'self help' mixed with a huge right leaning agenda with the odd leftie commentator in which he relentlessly doesn't behave like he would with a right leaning/antivaxx/militia commentator..

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

I think the best description of JR's show that I have heard so far is GOOP for men, supplements, energy drinks, 'self help' mixed with a huge right leaning agenda with the odd leftie commentator in which he relentlessly doesn't behave like he would with a right leaning/antivaxx/militia commentator..

"Here's my description of something i don't listen to"

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Mister_a said:

"Here's my description of something i don't listen to"

You keep repeating that. Do you have any proof that I haven't listened to him?

Loving the relentless defense of a guy that is openly racist, a clear right wing ideologue and a constant right wing media apologist because everyone but his hardcore fans haven't listened to his 3000 episodes though.

Edited by magnkarl

1 minute ago, magnkarl said:

You keep repeating that. Do you have any proof that I haven't listened to him?

I do not have any proof that you have listened to him no. How could i possibly know?

Have you listened to his podcast?

I am making a logical observation based upon your comments about him so far.

'I think the best description of JR's show that I have heard so far is'

Sounds like

'Here's someone's opinion I've heard that i agree with'.

17 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Loving the relentless defense of a guy that is openly racist, a clear right wing ideologue and a constant right wing media apologist because everyone but his hardcore fans haven't listened to his 3000 episodes though.

I disagree with your summation of his views.

11 minutes ago, Mister_a said:

I do not have any proof that you have listened to him no. How could i possibly know?

Have you listened to his podcast?

I am making a logical observation based upon your comments about him so far.

'I think the best description of JR's show that I have heard so far is'

Sounds like

'Here's someone's opinion I've heard that i agree with'.

To quote the man himself:

"I mean, the collusion between the media and government and media is pretty apparent, especially left wing media and left wing governments." He says while quoting Tucker Carlsson as a source about the jan 6. riots as true.

Or alternatively: 

"Someone is being paid, you hear these George Soros stories. He's the guy that put in the DA in LA who's letting people out."

Or alternatively: 

"The main stream media's ratings are abysmal, they complain about podcasts doing better than them. Why do you think that podcasts are doing better? Jimmy Dore or Kyle Kalinsky - you can trust them. This is their actual opinion, they really tell the truth, and they're going to provide you facts, because they're independent. So they depend upon those facts to get the word out. When they talk about what goes on in Syria or Russia or whatever they have to have facts. They show you why they come to these conclusions. CNN doesn't have to do that. Because they're not really news. Because they support the left wing narrative."

Meanwhile, Joe Rogan:

"This is not a vaccine, this is essentially a gene therapy."

"Ivermectin alone is capable of driving this pathogen to extinction"

"I don't think it's true there's an increased risk of myocarditis from people catching Covid-19 that are young, versus the risk from the vaccine."

"They’ve arrested left-wing people for lighting these forest fires. You know, air-quote, ‘activists.’ This is also something that’s not widely being reported."

I could go on endlessly. He portrays himself as someone who's just talking to his mates from all sides when he's constantly spewing out this right wing, false narrative. When 'left wing' or 'main stream' guests are on he peppers them with conspiracies and asks them to defend it their peer reviewed actual science from it.

Clearly I haven't listened right? It's all down to me prejudging a man where I didn't get the context. The reality is that behind this 'Nice guy' mask he portrays to many white disgruntled men there's a very clear agenda of spewing right wing ideology, grifting supplements, talking about deep state, racism and other things that he packages into his contrarian image.

Edited by magnkarl

Just now, Mister_a said:

That is your interpretation of his views. You are entitled to it. I disagree with you.

It's not an interpretation. It's things he said. You are interpreting racism as banter and conspiracy theories as "just being something you'd say with your mates".

• Like 1

Just now, magnkarl said:

It's not an interpretation. It's things he said. You are interpreting racism as banter and conspiracy theories as "just being something you'd say with your mates".

You are putting words in my mouth now. You don't like me interpreting your position, as you see it as incorrect, and I don't like you interpreting my position, as I see it as incorrect. We can go round and round for days if you like, but I've got work to do. 

There's nothing that is going to change your mind on this, so I'm just going to have to agree to disagree.

You think he's a racist right wing mouthpiece, and i don't.

Â