Spotify - an online music service

bickster

48 minutes ago, blandy said:

I agree. Science is a process, a continual loop of theory, experimentation, observation, consideration, conclusion, peer review and challenge etc.

But what the science isn’t is (for example) medical science developing a vaccine, testing it, trialling it, monitoring its impacts, determining its safe and effective and then a podcast host on Spotify going “U wot m8, s’bollex all that. Brainwashing, take worming pills instead” (I exaggerate a bit).  If it’s about which is the better band, or pizza topping, then fine, but when it can lead to adverse health outcomes, it needs carefully curating, not being treated as some kind of equally weighted perspective.

That's true of course, but is that actually what Joe Rogan has been accused of? Because most of the complaints seem to be that he's had anti-vaxx guests on (often scientists or doctors) who have made anti-vaxx claims, and Rogan hasn't challenged those claims enough. That's quite different from him telling people that he thinks they should take worming pills, no?

Anyway, I'll have a listen to what he says in context and report back. I'm currently listening to his podcast where he talks to the CNN medical correspondant and pro-vaxx doctor Sanjay Gupta, and I'm planning to listen to the controversial one with anti-vaxxer Dr Robert Malone afterwards. Bloody things are three hours long each though, so probably won't be for a day or two!

• Like 1

Has Rogan ever said on his podcasts to people dont take the vaccine?? I did see where he asked dr gupta many questions one being isnt it better that having recovered from covid 19 i have the anti bodies which means i have greater protection than the vaccine?

Dr gupta admitted he does and didnt really argue why. 

Rogan might not have specifically said 'don't take the vaccine' but there's literally hours of him discussing and highlighting apparent dangers or failures of the vaccines, or simply giving airtime to people with those thoughts. When he did have a pro-vaccine guest, Gupta, he blindsided him with questions he wasn't prepared for and from a particular point of view (which wasn't necessarily a pro vaccine one...) comprising of 'information' he's found on the internet and talking to quacks which he's evidently not taken a critical eye to, he's just read stuff. Any stuff.

Interestingly that isn't something he's done when the totally not anti-vaxxer Covid sceptics are on.

• Like 1

Thats abit if a excuse though isnt it? You should be prepared for any form of questions. You know what the rogan shows about and how he conducts his interviews. 

Most of his recent stuff is the dangers of the vaccine but i welcome his response where he accepts it may be one sided and will try make it mor balanced. Time will tell

As a purveyor of podcasts with a billion or so users Spotify carry a big responsibility. If you can’t hear the difference between JR in the Gupta episode and the JR in the Malone episode you need your ears cleaned out.

In one he peppers a respected scientist with conspiracy theories he “found online”, and in the other he fanboys over a guy that spews out a litany of disproven conspiracy theories. It’s not a good listen.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Thats abit if a excuse though isnt it? You should be prepared for any form of questions. You know what the rogan shows about and how he conducts his interviews. 

Most of his recent stuff is the dangers of the vaccine but i welcome his response where he accepts it may be one sided and will try make it mor balanced. Time will tell

But Rogan himself has stated that he conducted that interview differently. He has said when he has someone he views as an expert on he basically just let's them talk, in the Gupta case he went against that and fired questions at him, which he's acknowledged. He had the reams of crap he's read and heard and fired them at the guy. Even with masses of prep its unlikely you come out of that interview well.

He doesn't do that when shithawks like Malone rock up.

But he's not got an angle on all this...

• Like 4

People interested in being a rent-seeking parasite diversifying their portfolio of investments away from equities may be interested to learn that you too can benefit financially from music royalties as discussed on the previous page, through vehicles such as this: https://www.hipgnosissongs.com/about/our-purpose-business-model/

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Haha 1

India Arie has joined the Laurel Canyoners and more importantly has taken the debate much wider (as was inevitable IMO)

On Instagram, Arie announced Monday that she has decided to yank her music and podcast, “SongVersation,” from Spotify after “Young opened a door that I MUST walk through.”

“I believe in freedom of speech,” Arie wrote in a statement. “However, I find Joe Rogan problematic for reasons OTHER than his Covid interviews.

“FOR ME ITS ALSO HIS language around race. What I am talking about is RESPECT — who gets it and who doesn’t,” the R&B singer-songwriter added. (Rogan has repeatedly said the N-word on his podcast and has been criticized for racist remarks.)

Arie also called out Spotify for “paying musicians a Fraction of a penny? and [Rogan] $100M?”

L.A. Times

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

No agenda to see here, just a white man explaining race theory and when you're African or not..

I watched this after people were bleating on about context and I knew with Peterson it was going to be a fire made of shit, but you know at least Rogan called him out by nodding along. I loathe Peterson he is what happens when a village idiot is given crayons and an audience of other village idiots. 

9 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I watched this after people were bleating on about context and I knew with Peterson it was going to be a fire made of shit, but you know at least Rogan called him out by nodding along. I loathe Peterson he is what happens when a village idiot is given crayons and an audience of other village idiots. 

It's just a conversation man, just a conversation. I don't know about you but when I talk to my buddies I don't talk race theory, decide who's African American and spread false information about anti-parasitic drugs, effectiveness of vaccines etc.

Nodding along is the new protest, don't you know.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, magnkarl said:

I don't know about you but when I talk to my buddies I don't talk race theory, decide who's African American and spread false information about anti-parasitic drugs, effectiveness of vaccines etc.

For someone who doesn’t discuss those things with his buddies, you sure like to share your opinions about them on the internet! 
Why does it bother you so much what other people talk about/listen to? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, magnkarl said:

It's just a conversation man, just a conversation. I don't know about you but when I talk to my buddies I don't talk race theory, decide who's African American and spread false information about anti-parasitic drugs, effectiveness of vaccines etc.

Nodding along is the new protest, don't you know.

Maybe everybody should do as you do and say then life would be perfect. 

Rogan of 3 years ago isn’t the same as the one now, he dropped the open discussion with anyone as an ignorant but interested interviewer rhetoric for one where he says he’s not claiming to be an expert with a huge **** wink and only talking to people in his sphere of self interested lunatics.

i don’t know where I stand with not allowing him to do that though. If people were smarter in general they’d see through his new grift.

His old grift was shifting useless workout supplements, why can’t he go back to that?

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

For someone who doesn’t discuss those things with his buddies, you sure like to share your opinions about them on the internet! 
Why does it bother you so much what other people talk about/listen to? 

Yeah, it’s weird that a Jewish man doesn’t like antisemitic chads with 200 million weekly listeners.

Â