Spotify - an online music service

bickster

You can invite friends to Spotify Free if they live in Sweden, Norway, Finland, the UK, France or Spain.

And I've got invites, pm if needed

I must say thanks once again Tegis. It is pretty awesome. I just came across the first Coldplay album once again, and currently listening to it. I loved that album as a kid..was only 11. >_>

Still a top album imo.

• 4 weeks later...

I have had the free version of this for some time now but decided to go premium and have it on my mobile, bloody class!!! My phone has an FM transmitter so can put it through mt car stereo too. Shame I dont get invites to send out though.

• 1 month later...

Spotify on the 3GS/4G now runs in the background if you have iOS4 and have the latest Spotify update (01/07)

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
Spotify will kill the music business far more than illegal downloading ever did. The money artists get for plays on spotify is absolutely pitiful.

Interesting discussion there about what they do get, what they should get, what business model is sustainable in the context of current technology and cultural expectations.

I'm sure that discussion's happening somewhere, I just don't know where.

1 million unique plays on Spotify for Lady Gaga's "poker Face" earned her an incredible $167. That was the most popular Spotify song in a five month period last year.

So what business model does work? Given that the old "We tell you what to buy and you buy it at the price we set" model doesn't work any more.

Or at least it does for some, including the saintly Lady Gaga. But not for much longer.

1 million unique plays on Spotify for Lady Gaga's "poker Face" earned her an incredible $167. That was the most popular Spotify song in a five month period last year.

One has to wonder where the money ends up (cough record labels cough) as they have 1 000 000 paying customers and 9 000 000 free (ads) users as of 6 months ago. That's quite a source of income. And they haven't even launched in the US yet.

Hence why a great many artists work isn't on there and a number of songs are regularly removed from it.

I seem to remember a big name band (I want to say Metallica...but unsure) spoke about how much they could expect to receive from Spotify usage of their songs and it was pitiful. And thats for one of the biggest bands, ever.

I like the idea of Spotify, and indeed I've been a regular user, but I'm not sure it works, and with a 10hr/month limit coming in on the free user profiles, I'll be removing it from my computer soon enough.

Music pricing as Peterms raises the issue is complex. Everyone thinks the price of a CD is too much (and it is), but the band itself doesn't see much of that cash - they tend to make their money touring more than anything. IIRC Radiohead's self release of In Rainbows, with the 'pay what you want' policy, was one of the most profitable releases of all time. That model isn't viable long term however because, of course, not every band is Radiohead on the back of a 15 year career (at that time) at the top, and not every band can pretty much self record produce and destribute a top quality album off their own back.

It's, for me anyway, certainly a better approach than the standard one from the consumer's point of view. A compromise from that towards the traditional method might work out, but what that compromise I'm unsure.

The current Spotify ad is offering to rent my place out to visiting royal wedding tourists.

It's nice to get a day off (or get paid extra), but does anyone really give a monkeys?

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Absolutely adore Spotify now. I have the £4.99 a month sub and it's worth every penny imo. Enjoying some of the new apps for it too, particularly the Pitchfork and Tunewiki ones.

Â