Spotify - an online music service

bickster

Absolutely adore Spotify now. I have the £4.99 a month sub and it's worth every penny imo. Enjoying some of the new apps for it too, particularly the Pitchfork and Tunewiki ones.

I've considered the £4.99 option. If I were to pay for it, I'd want access on my tablet as well but I don't want to pay £9.99 'cus I'm a cheapskate.

Absolutely adore Spotify now. I have the £4.99 a month sub and it's worth every penny imo. Enjoying some of the new apps for it too, particularly the Pitchfork and Tunewiki ones.

I've considered the £4.99 option. If I were to pay for it, I'd want access on my tablet as well but I don't want to pay £9.99 'cus I'm a cheapskate.

I think the £4.99 option is just right to be honest, you get unlimited music and no ads. It's a great way of listening to new stuff before you buy too, so if I hear anything that blows me away I can always go and just buy the CD/Download.

Now you get to listen to a track 5 times in a month now I think, which I rarely do. I don't think there is a 10 hour cap, and there are still ads.

I don't really want to illegally download all the music I listen to.

It had the right balance with just ads, imo. You got a basic but good service, had some inconvenience but fundamentally still worked, and if you wanted the whizz bang features, you paid. Now effectively you get a resettable time limited demo.

With how I listen to music, the 5 per month thing would be useless to me.

On the music I listen to, I find now that I just listen to less new music. I can't be arsed, frankly, to go through the hassle of tracking down dodgy downloads. And I don't really have the money to buy much music (the money I do have goes on other interests). So I've got my 40 odd gig of music I've built up over the past 8 years or so and just listen to more of that library and rediscover albums and artists I listened to briefly and set aside.

I do wonder if Spotify's library has improved, when I was still using it it seemed that increasing amounts of music was leaving the service, and there was a lot I was interested in that was never on there, Metallica, Tool, etc etc.

I used to use it for stacking numbers from expensive 'one good track' albums, so the five plays is a bit bollocks. It's still useful though.

When they were losing the big players material they were adding stuff elsewhere. There's lots of copyright free stuff and there's a bewilderingly immense stack of non English material. I've bought a good few albums (CDs) from foreign parts that don't seem to appear on Discogs, AMG or the like.

I have the 9:99 option as I have it on my iphone, i go through phases of not using it but its pretty much every tune you want really without the download. I will that for the £9.99 you get up to 6000 tracks available offline so dont have to be reliant on signal. Me and the other half were having a minor tiff the other night and i only replied to her with a song each time as its that fast, i took it a bit far with shaddap a ya face :lol:

never bothered with it, dont you need facebook or some shite like that to use it, to be honest the thought of having a song but not downloading it doesn't appeal to me as I use my ipod which has 13000 tracks on it so that sorts me out

saying that though apparently you can get cold dog soup by guy clark on it which is near impossible to get from anywhere else unless you get the cd imported which I cant be arsed with

Okay so things have changed in the last 2 weeks again. There is a 5 play limit and a 10 hour cap now. Thats just for UK and France users, anyone else just has the 10 hour cap.

I'm feeling pretty meh about Spotify again.

yeah it still means ordering the CD though, I cant be **** for CD's these days I only take them out of the case once and then they just end up lying around, plus its a ball ache because I cant get things delivered to my flat because they can never find it

I only ever use Spotify to discover things I've never heard before I decide whether I want it or not. I doubt the new rules will affect me that much tbh.

Like D1 I do like some of the apps, I use Pitchfork / Guardian / LastFM ones mainly

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Oasis now on Spotify

Led Zep and Pink Floyd also recent additions.

Just need The Beatles (sorry Bicks) and AC/DC and i'll be delighted! 

Ă—
Ă—
Ă‚