Glory Hunters...

OutByEaster?

I'm proud to say I've been a Villa supporter for 14 years now. I picked Villa, because I thought they had the nicest stadium, the nicest name, and the loudest fans. I loved following their exploits (This was back when we only got 2 week old highlights at 3am.)

I was sucked right in. There is something truly special about Aston Villa, and I'm glad I recognized it.

I made the pilgramage in 1999, but havent been back. Dying to though. Maybe for the game against Inter next year, :D

Thanks for that Maqroll - great to hear. I presume from the 3am highlights comment that you're in the US or maybe Canada? We look forward to seeing you at VP again in the future and of Istanbul in May next year for the UEFA Cup Final!

Some great stories on this thread about becoming hooked on AVFC.

My first visit with my Dad was 1946/47 and seeing players like George Cummings, Bobby Iverson and all the others whom hadn't been drawn into WWII. Standing at the Holte End behind the red barriers that had been painted by the players was always the highlight of my week when Villa were at home. There was something special about VP that invaded your soul and has remained there ever since.

The Christmas period matches were always big crowd games when Wolves used to be the visitors home and away within a few days, no segregation and no fights, just loads of good natured banter. Until I went into National Service, never missed a home game and saw quite a few away, but even when in Egypt and Cyprus the Villa results were keenly sought.

Back home involvement in a local running club eventually took over Saturdays and evening training sessions the mid week games. The occasional match was always a special treat into the sixties and seventies until a family and moving away from the Midlands, meant the games became even less, but not the interest and love for the Villa to do well.

We had some bad times under Ellis, but our resurgence under Randy and MON has given me such a great expectation that perhaps I'll see the Villa emerge once again as a top, if not the very top club in the Premiership and a major force in Europe.

I may not be able to see many matches unless they coincide with a visit to the UK, or they visit the Nou Camp, but being a Villa fan is something to be proud about and a life long dedication.

UTV

:flag: I have supported "The Mighty Villa" since around the age of 10, as a young girl, I was thought of as being very strange, firstly for supporting football, but the main concern was that I supported Aston Villa. I started supporting Villa after been giving an Aston Villa scarf by a family friend, this started my passion, and cost me all my pocket money to buy magazines to keep up to date with news and match tickets for when I could persuade my dad to take me (was hard as he is a die-hard chelsea fan). Im a full time student and work fri/sat nights, so dont get to villa as much as id like, maybe two or three times a season, but I do watch all live games and keep up to date on all news. I am saving money, in the hope of getting to the hamburg game. But am worried at being labelled a glory hunter :( , which is not the case, it would be a dream come true to see my team play abroad! My partner supports a scottish team, which has no hope of ever getting into europe, so I just want to show the boys how well they have done :cheers: , how happy they have made me AND how proud I am to be a VILLA FAN! :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ive been a Villa fan all my life My family call me a glory hunter for supporting villa because im originally from south Birmingham and u r supposed 2 support that crap team in blue so u can never win 2 be honest.There does seem 2 be a trend though if a team is doing well. I live in Aberdeen and u never see villa fans up here but since MON took over and we r up there challenging 4 the top 4 there has been a few people wearing villa shirts,at least im not the only fan up here!! More fans = more money 4 the villa so it can only be a good thing.

my definition of a glory hunter is some one who chooses or changes his alleigence to be associated with a successfull team and will generally only take an interest in football when that team is doing well, that is usually someone that has no real connection with that club.

i dont have a problem with any one that fell in love with thier team because of a specific game as long as that continues to be thier allegance.

i spoke to a jewish guy today from north london who fell in love with the villa because of the 1957 cup final and the romance of that result, he does not go to games on the sabbath but gets to some midweek games and is a villa fanatic

Great article here mate even got me to join villatalk. really got my mind working and made me look up the first time i took notice of villa, im not entirely sure so someone correct me if im wrong, the 93/94 league cup semi?? we beat tranmere on penalties, it was on tv and i must of been 10 give or take, didnt see the match, only the penalties which is very random aye, but ive been villa through and through ever since. I didnt grow up around football, no one in my household had any interest whatsoever in football and i have no connection whatsoever to birmingham infact i was born in south london and pretty much grew up in luton but ive followed villa ever since, tbh its always been a sticking point not following my local team, but eh if theres no one to point u in that direction whatcha gona do? lol :? i suppose in alot of eyes im not a tru villain having never been to VP etc but i personally think those people can kiss my ass lol(brandy talkin eh whatcha gona do?), either way i am hoping to get weekends off soon and make the trip :D

anyway i'll wrap this up, great article, great replies, really brought back some memories

there really is nothing i can add to this that hasn't already been said.

but if you really care about your club...you never stop thinking about them, you keep up to date with every scrap of news and your moods are decided by whether we are winning or losing...then you're a true fan whether you live in brum or oz.

Great article and I fully support it, I've often seen thread on this and other messageboards threads that pour scorn on 'Glory Hunter' and to a lesser those who support but cannot attend.

Me (and I'm pretty sure) I speak for the Limpid and my fellow mods in that we have always and will welcome all Villa fans, whether they've been to Villa Park or not. Indeed a small part of me goes out to those who support us and cannot get to Villa Park ever as although my attendance is way down these days I still do get to games.

I know fans on here who go to almost if not every game, I know others who attend once a year and there are those who spotted us more recently ( a fair few from Cleveland) and have no intention of getting to VP but still choose when asked "who do you support", they answer "Aston Villa".

It fills me with pride to think I'm part of that community, the community that is is not Villatalk but Aston Villa Football Club and long may it continue.

And then there are us ex pats that can't always make it to loads of games living abroad.....does that make us "glory hunters"? even though I have been supporting Villa since I was 12 and was a season ticket holder for years too.I do agree that adults that swap teams are not even fans,I mean, you can't just change teams! I was born claret&blue and will die claret&blue.

I have to say that when I was in the process of deciding which club to support ('03/'04-ish), I took the performance of the candidates into account. There was no way I was supporting one of the top 4... in the words of a fellow American who was picking a club a couple years back, "You remember those people who became Steeler or Cowboy fans in the 70s? I don't want to be that guy"; but on the flipside, I wasn't going to pick a side who were likely to be relegated (because if you're a foreign fan, the degree to which you can get media coverage of the club is of critical importance... the Championship gets minimal coverage over here).

It basically came down to Villa, Spurs, and Everton... and VT sealed the deal for me (couldn't find a likable forum for either of the other candidates).

i spoke to a jewish guy today from north london who fell in love with the villa because of the 1957 cup final and the romance of that result, he does not go to games on the sabbath but gets to some midweek games and is a villa fanatic

He should become a Reform Jew... they tend to interpret the sabbath thing as meaning that you should devote the day to something you enjoy.

Â