Apple Vision Pro

Stevo985

Apple Vision Pro

Welcome to the era of spatial computing.

portrait_base__bwsgtdddcl7m_large.jpg

So... is this a huge leap forward in tech or is it the usual Apple charging a fortune for something somebody else already did.

My first impressions are that it's incredible tech, I'm just not sure what the advantages are functionality wise. From the promos the only thing that interested me were watching movies on them, but I might be missing the point. I certainly wouldn't want to be an early adopter

Edited by Stevo985

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I certainly wouldn't want to be an early adopter

Nor me. 

The price tag and "pro" in the title mean this is very much not a mass market product. Apparently Apple are only looking to sell around 200k of these, which for an apple product is minuscule. 

But this is the first wave of something pretty ground breaking imo. 10 years time when they are the size of standard glasses, the battery is better / built in, augmented reality apps and features have been moved into the mainstream, I can see this being to sort of tech that replaces mobile phones for many people. 

This could be awesome for watching films and sport at home. It would be great to be able to sit at home and watch a Villa game live from any seat in the Holte End or anywhere else in the stadium surrounded by the real crowd and atmosphere. If they'd do this I'd buy one along with the virtual season ticket.

I'd be interested in seeing the accessibility features (my entire left hand side doesn't work that well)

It is very expensive though, think it might be a case of wait to see what the next iterations of the tech are like.

It'll be fab for cosplay Among Us 

Seems like after the ChatGPT/AI hype Apple needed to release a new product to show they are still number 1. Too bad their new product has been done, and scrapped, before. The idea of augmented reality is great, it has lots of really practical applications. This is not the solution though. Anyone who has worn ski googles will tell you how much of a pain they are, there's a reason people take them off when they are not skiing downhill. Until you can have augmented reality glasses that look and feel like regular glasses it won't be mass market. Up until that point it's a loss for whoever is making it.  

Feels like a devkit with all the tech bolted on right now. People/Companies building killer applications is what will make or break these kinds of tech. And to be fair, that is what apple is kinda good at promoting. Sporting events at ring/court/pitch/rink-side sounds like a good place to start.

It's an absolute non-starter outside the house as it looks now

2 hours ago, bielesibub said:

This could be awesome for watching films and sport at home. It would be great to be able to sit at home and watch a Villa game live from any seat in the Holte End or anywhere else in the stadium surrounded by the real crowd and atmosphere

You can already do this with current VR headsets, and they're a lot cheaper

28 minutes ago, Tegis said:

It's an absolute non-starter outside the house as it looks now

Battery life is only 2 hours anyway so you wouldn't get very far

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You can already do this with current VR headsets, and they're a lot cheaper

Almost, I thought the current cheaper VR headsets immersed you. I'm not going out to buy one of these things, but it does look interesting and I can see how people could get more from it than what I know of what has come before. It kind of reminds me a little of what I thought Google Glass was meant to be, or maybe even HoloLens, without crappy windows.

If they could get this tech into a pair of glasses, I'd be all over it. Wearing a pair of really expensive scuba goggles with a choke lead around the house isn't my idea of fun.

Â