• Moreno (Digne 53)
    • Young (Bailey 53)
    • Buendía (Moreno 65)
    • Dendoncker (Luiz 86)
    • Durán (Watkins 86)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 23/05/23 at 22:59

1 minute ago, theboyangel said:

Yes, beat Brighton and Spurs cannot finish above us and 7th is ours!

Amd if we draw next week, we could be anywhere between 7th and 9th?   Not going to go into all the likelihoods it depends on other multiple other possibilities.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, one_ian_taylor said:

Assuming Spurs beat Leeds.  But bearing in mind how ropey Spurs are and that Leeds nearly beat Newcastle and need a win to stay up, it's  not a given

Also assuming Brentford don’t beat Man City. In any case, we’ve gone from only needing a point to now (probably, and for guaranteeing) needing a win. 

• Thanks 1

Pleased with the point, would have taken that beforehand. I must admit that I feared the worst when 10 mins added time went up. Well played Villa we have come a long way under Unai Emery.

7th place is in our reach now, but there is  still a long way to go. We just need to better Brentford and Spurs results and we are there. 7th place was unthinkable in January. Let’s do this!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

He does. He communicates it to the 4th official. 

That feels so backward :D. We’ve got all this tech but still need the referee to use a stopwatch. 

So, we are guaranteed end of season, no matter what to be 9 or higher - top half - that was the optimistic goal at season's beginning, destroyed by slippy and now realized.  

I'm going to have another drink on that !

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

If I’m being hypercritical I thought in the second half we could have breached their high line with a bit more care and bravery but that’s extremely extremely critical on my part. 

With a better bench next season I think we play exactly as you described. Honestly it's a great strategy, grab the early goal, frustrate the opposition with the high line, and then grab one on the break late to finish them off. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

That feels so backward :D. We’ve got all this tech but still need the referee to use a stopwatch. 

That’s why when fans are moaning about time wasting he always holds his **** hand up with the other hand on his watch saying he’s adding it on but never does :D

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

most referees recommend running two watches.  one run continuously, the other stops and starts at stoppages.  Then you base your added time on the difference.

9 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

If I’m being hypercritical I thought in the second half we could have breached their high line with a bit more care and bravery but that’s extremely extremely critical on my part. 

Praising with faint damn.

• Haha 1

An outstanding performance undone by a brilliant Mo Salah pass. No shame in that. Did anyone in the back line or midfield play poorly today? I think not.

Mings was obvious MOTM. Even the pro-Liverpool commentator here in the States was singing his praises. He was IMMENSE.

But how about Matty Cash? The best defending I've seen him do this season; my runner-up MOTM. Konsa? Cool operator. Digne? Played well. Moreno? Saved a goal. Young? Played on both sides and didn't miss a beat. McGinn? Battling, battling, battling. Kamara? Oozed class. Doug and JJ? Combined for the goal. Even Bailey did some nice defensive work.

Tactics? I raised an eyebrow when I saw Digne for Moreno and saw Buendia out. I raised another eyebrow when I saw that we were going to play around in the back despite Liverpool's vaunted press. But in Unai we trust, and as usual, he got it right.

If you can find any fault, it was our inability to hold possession in the second half to give the defence a break. Some sloppy passes and touches. We were knackered by the end and that probably contributed to their goal.

The ref? I usually defend the ref, but have to say that he was pretty bad in the first half. It was a physical half and you can't stop the match for everything, but you have to be consistent about what you do call and what you don't. You never knew what he was going to do. At least the VAR was solid.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ouchmefoot said:

My 90 mins in 5 words:

Gutted. Elated. Nervous. Disappointed. Relieved.

Who would have thought that we would go into the last match of the season with a European place entirely in our own hands?  In fact there is a more than decent chance that even if we lose to Brighton we still qualify.  Leeds will have to win their last home match of the season to have any hope of staying up and if they can get ahead of Spurs you do wonder how much fight Spurs still have in them.  Kane was walking around the pitch for most of the second half today (when he wasn't throwing himself to the floor or appealing for a free-kick / penalty) - no Champions League chance at Spurs so he's 80%+ off at the end of the season to a club that is in it.  If Leeds can score then they've got a great chance of snatching a win.  And even if Man City have won the league and Pep puts out the reserves against Brentford - those players will all know that if they can score a couple of goals then they play themselves into contention for a Cup Final appearance.  And let's face it at the moment the Man City Second XI is still probably the second strongest team in the league on paper.

27 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Another fine performance, unlucky today, but losing all the left backs never helps.

It probably wasn't a coincidence that Salah put in the equalizing cross from that side.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

It's a shame Moreno got injured as I reckon we would have been really dangerous on the break with him down the left.  

He had one break and got through them. Was clearly the plan but Young couldn't do it

• Like 1

Â