Cruise Holiday

markavfc40

Me and my better half are going on our first cruise holiday in August. A 2 week adult only around the Adriatic, Ionian and Med stopping off at various ports in Croatia, Italy, Montenegro, Slovenia, Malta and Greece.  I'll be 50 later this year so probably approaching the average age of cruise goers.

Any VT'ers done cruise holidays before and if so how did you find it? I am looking forward to visiting quite a few places we have never been before,  all be it only around 10 hour visits. 

We were actually supposed to do our first cruise in July next year (a one week cruise around various Greek Islands then a weeks stay in Corfu) but I ended up getting that engrossed in it all that we decided we couldn't wait until then so booked one for this August. Just hope we like it now with already having booked another one 🙂 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Me and my better half are going on our first cruise holiday in August. A 2 week adult only around the Adriatic, Ionian and Med stopping off at various ports in Croatia, Italy, Montenegro, Slovenia, Malta and Greece.  I'll be 50 later this year so probably approaching the average age of cruise goers.

Any VT'ers done cruise holidays before and if so how did you find it? I am looking forward to visiting quite a few places we have never been before,  all be it only around 10 hour visits. 

We were actually supposed to do our first cruise in July next year (a one week cruise around various Greek Islands then a weeks stay in Corfu) but I ended up getting that engrossed in it all that we decided we couldn't wait until then so booked one for this August. Just hope we like it now with already having booked another one 🙂 

Ive never done one but i will be for my dads 70th in 2 years! My parents ho quite alot and let me tell you my dad (who absolutely couldn't stand the thought of going on one took years of persuasion from mum) he absolutely loves it. But whats kwy is the ship. If its a huge one your in for a treat as there is so much to do. My dad raves about good cruises are. The only downside is your gonna put on a ton of weight as you can go any restaurant as many times as you want!

Id probably have to lose a stone so im ultra skinny for that alone 😃

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

. The only downside is your gonna put on a ton of weight as you can go any restaurant as many times as you want!

Id probably have to lose a stone so im ultra skinny for that alone

🙂 I've already said to my wife I'm gonna have to lose about 7 pound more than I normally would before going on holiday just so I can put a stone back on. Obviously all the food is included but we've also upgraded to a premium drinks package. Hopefully as we are stopping off at quite a few interesting places I will get plenty of steps in which will help keep a few ounces off. 

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

🙂 I've already said to my wife I'm gonna have to lose about 7 pound more than I normally would before going on holiday just so I can put a stone back on. Obviously all the food is included but we've also upgraded to a premium drinks package. Hopefully as we are stopping off at quite a few interesting places I will get plenty of steps in which will help keep a few ounces off. 

Well most ships have bug gyms on them , i know your on holiday but i would most definitely use it!!

God i can only imagine how incredible the foods going to be for you. I think we are going yo do a nordic one in couple years.

This one your going on looks like great places to visit mark. Ive done malta and obviously greece but the rest would be great to see esp Croatia 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Well most ships have bug gyms on them , i know your on holiday but i would most definitely use it!!

God i can only imagine how incredible the foods going to be for you. I think we are going yo do a nordic one in couple years.

This one your going on looks like great places to visit mark. Ive done malta and obviously greece but the rest would be great to see esp Croatia 

I will definitely use the gym mate as like to weight train 2-3 times a week anyway.

It is a really good itinerary. Dubrovnik and Split in Croatia.I went to Yugoslavia back in the late 80's which obviously no longer exists but haven't been that way since. Valhalla in Malta which I haven't been to since mid 90's, Corfu which I have been to a few times but it is a lovely island, Sicily and a three other ports in Italy one of which is a couple of hours from Venice.

I am really looking forward to going to Kotor in Montenegro as the sail in is meant to be one of the most stunning in the world.

Sailing into Kotor - Bay of Kotor, Kotor Traveller Reviews - Tripadvisor

• 1 month later...
On 04/05/2023 at 13:39, markavfc40 said:

Thats sounds suspiciously like a swinging cruise

• Haha 1

On 04/05/2023 at 13:39, markavfc40 said:

Been on two, it really is great, much easier than fannying around at airports.

Word of warning though, the food is fantastic, and you might need trousers with elasticated waist if you are doing more than a week ;)

EDIT:

Also, adult-only ones are the way to go, can't be spending 7-14 days on a ship surrounded by squealing **** kids.

Edited by rjw63
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Been on two, it really is great, much easier than fannying around at airports.

Word of warning though, the food is fantastic, and you might need trousers with elasticated waist if you are doing more than a week ;)

Cheers Rob. My plan is to lose a few pounds before I go so I can put it back on and some. Whether that comes to fruition or not we'll see 🙂 

• Haha 1

They're a bit like marmite 😀

I've been on a few and they are a great way of seeing different parts of the world, albeit it in snippets.

Research, research, research the ports you stop at and decide what you want to do/see. Do your own trips, the ones the ships provide are over priced.

If you are on FB join a group for your cruiseline and or ship.

Search FB for the cruise code/name and date you are doing and there's a good chance there'll be a group set up for it. Join that as there will be lots of info on whats what, you can even get with fellow cruisers to share diy trips.

Enjoy it

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Got back from my two week cruise on Thursday. We had a fantastic time and saw some places that I would not otherwise of considered going to.

Highlight overall was Montenegro. The sail into Kotor at 5:30am was unreal and the scenery was stunning. Later on in the cruise we also visited Bar in Montenegro and this was also very nice especially the old town, Stari Bar.

Other highlights were Trieste in Italy, Taormina in Sicily and Split and Dubrovnik in Croatia were both stunning although Dubrovnik did get very busy. Valletta in Malta I'd been to before but it is a lovely place. I'd also been to Corfu a number of times but Corfu town itself was a little run down. Koper in Slovenia was nice although we had poor weather that day. Ravenna in Italy we visited on a Sunday and a lot was closed but still quite a nice place. 

As for the ship it was only a relatively small ship, around 2000 passengers, and it was all inclusive and we also paid extra to upgrade to premium all inc so the drink choices were excellent. Food was great as was the entertainment but the best thing about the time spent on the ship were the people. All the staff went above and beyond and we also spoke with and spent time with lots of other passengers and those we did were all really nice people. 

We are already booked on another one for July around the Greek islands and I am also considering another one later next year. 

you've got the bug 🤣

glad you had a great time

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, imavillan said:

you've got the bug 🤣

glad you had a great time

I think so mate. First thing I said to my mrs when we got home is I am not sure how a land holiday is going to compare now 🙂 it was just lovely waking up most mornings in a different place as 11 nights of the 14 we were in a different port. 

9 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I think so mate. First thing I said to my mrs when we got home is I am not sure how a land holiday is going to compare now 🙂 it was just lovely waking up most mornings in a different place as 11 nights of the 14 we were in a different port. 

It's all too easy to let them take over your holidays as everything is there that you need and more.

I try to mix up cruises and land based holidays as they both offer different things.

• Like 1

Â