Pre-season 2023/24

Jareth

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Lying so-and-so as usual

Yeah I heard some of the teams involved in this and a big deal but I just find a preseason tournament in the US a bit naff.  I understand Wes is from there and Villa Vegas, and being invited to the PL tournament is all great.  

It’s just the US is a bit off putting with what’s going on there from the Trump years, the mass shootings, the woman’s health…it just puts a bad taste in the mouth and I wished the tournament was somewhere else.  

I used to go to the US every year for a little trip for about 10 years, a decade or more ago but it’s not a place that wets the appetite anymore.  

Don’t mean to offend the Americans on this site but the last six years has not put the US in a good light anymore as a destination of travel, which is a shame.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jareth said:

At times like this you have to say fair-play to Brentford - what a journey they have had. 

Agreed, however I'm thinking, we don't even know if Leeds will still be " Premier League " come end of season?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Villareport ( VT in-joke)

ohh wondered if there had been some claim from purslow saying we weren't going to america or something lol

24 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yeah I heard some of the teams involved in this and a big deal but I just find a preseason tournament in the US a bit naff.  I understand Wes is from there and Villa Vegas, and being invited to the PL tournament is all great.  

It’s just the US is a bit off putting with what’s going on there from the Trump years, the mass shootings, the woman’s health…it just puts a bad taste in the mouth and I wished the tournament was somewhere else.  

I used to go to the US every year for a little trip for about 10 years, a decade or more ago but it’s not a place that wets the appetite anymore.  

Don’t mean to offend the Americans on this site but the last six years has not put the US in a good light anymore as a destination of travel, which is a shame.

I believe there is already a PL Asia tournament, so it would financially make sense for the PL to "expand" in the US market next

2 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

I believe there is already a PL Asia tournament, so it would financially make sense for the PL to "expand" in the US market next

Oh I agree, it makes sense financially and marketing wise which is all that matters these days…also not many other options, it was just my comment on the US as a place of choice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

A lot of the world is **** up. We just see the US in the media a lot more.

I think it’s a good place for pre-season tours personally.  Especially for all the Villa fan clubs out there. 

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

A lot of the world is **** up. We just see the US in the media a lot more.

Doesn’t make it right, a former President being indicted this week (the first of many), saying World War 3 just in the last 24 hours, mass shootings including one currently in Kentucky, abortion pill that’s been on the market for 20 years judge rules not allowed, women’s health generally impacted including repeal of Roe vs Wade, police brutality, softer gun laws, LGBTQ problems….it just keeps getting worse that if I wrote all that down and not said the country then somebody who hadn’t kept up to date with the news would say it’s probably a country from the Middle East that is being decried in social media constantly including the Newcastle owners country.

Just because we see the US in the media more doesn’t hide the issues there are significant but we dismiss that more easily because US is an ally and it’s a great marketing and financial opportunity for a preseason

14 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think it’s a good place for pre-season tours personally.  Especially for all the Villa fan clubs out there. 

Meh!

Anyway it is what it is. Just be hypocritical to not question the US at the moment when we are criticising many Middle Eastern countries for their issues when we are going there to make money from a preseason tour.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Doesn’t make it right, a former President being indicted this week (the first of many), saying World War 3 just in the last 24 hours, mass shootings including one currently in Kentucky, abortion pill that’s been on the market for 20 years judge rules not allowed, women’s health generally impacted including repeal of Roe vs Wade, police brutality, softer gun laws, LGBTQ problems….it just keeps getting worse that if I wrote all that down and not said the country then somebody who hadn’t kept up to date with the news would say it’s probably a country from the Middle East that is being decried in social media constantly including the Newcastle owners country.

Just because we see the US in the media more doesn’t hide the issues there are significant but we dismiss that more easily because US is an ally and it’s a great marketing and financial opportunity for a preseason

Meh!

Anyway it is what it is. Just be hypocritical to not question the US at the moment when we are criticising many Middle Eastern countries for their issues when we are going there to make money from a preseason tour.

Fair points.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Meh!

Doesn’t mean it’s a bad place to come visit. If you’re moving to the US those are all points very much worth considering but something like a trip to nyc for a week? I think you’re making it seem worse than it actually is for that sort of thing.

22 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Sounds very lame to me. I prwfee playing teams outside the pl

Whilst all pre season games are about fitness and possibly trying out new styles of play, being up against fellow premier league competition is actually a good measure for for how we are setting up and performing against those in the same league as us. There’s a reason sides like United, Chelsea etc always seem to play each other during their pre seasons. We won’t learn anything by playing teams from lower leagues or leagues which are of a poor standard. I’m sure we will have our annual game against Walsall and hopefully a game at VP against a Spanish or Italian side… or maybe even Vitoria?.. but other than that we have done the right thing here by getting involved in this competition… in my view. 

Edited by Tayls