Subject Choice Help Please

acwilliams

Which Subject?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which Subject?

• English Lang?
    • Law?

sometimes people need to actually make a decision themselves, this is one of those times

You make a shit choice, tough, you'll have to deal with it, its called a life lesson

Ridiculously harsh and strange thing to say I feel. Surely this is a time is his life when advice is particularly needed, as the choice will have a direct impact on his future.

Anyway, if you're thinking about a career in journalism, it's a no-brainer surely? I'd say that combined English language and literature is a must. As Chindie said, unis and employers generally hate Media Studies or whatever it's called.

Probably shouldn't tell you this, but I know some sneaky **** who just did English Language (A Level and degree) and on any subsequent CVs, application forms or whatever, put it down as English, which most people presume is the combined one. That's an option for you :winkold: .

Journalism/Media Studies are terrible courses. I hope I don't offend anyone in saying that, but journalists are not made in journalism degrees.

At the end of the degree, you qualify with an ability to write, but with nothing to write about. Stay away

Anyway, if you're thinking about a career in journalism, it's a no-brainer surely?

On paper you'd think so, but it hasn't really worked out like that.

I wanted PE for the possibility of football coaching, I wanted Media in lieu of Journalism because it wasn't an option, and I chose Psychology because I am interested.

I know that my English is good, and a lot of people say that because of that I should choose it, but in truth, I think I may be bored with it. At the end of the day, my English is one of the best parts of my educational ability, so surely, if I do decide to take a break from it, it won't be as hard for me to pick up again, but something like Law would be incredibly difficult to pick up in a uni situation.

I think that it is a sodding shame that, at the age of 16 and with what appears to be a decent standard of education already, you are picking subjects for potential employment reasons.

Use your time of formal education to give yourself the basis to make yourself a more informed and more decent member of society than you might otherwise have been (that is no slight upon you per se but a generalisation about the benefits of an all round education).

Just train your mind to think. What it is thinking about doesn't matter as much as the process at the moment.

sometimes people need to actually make a decision themselves, this is one of those times

You make a shit choice, tough, you'll have to deal with it, its called a life lesson

Ridiculously harsh and strange thing to say I feel. Surely this is a time is his life when advice is particularly needed, as the choice will have a direct impact on his future.

Anyway, if you're thinking about a career in journalism, it's a no-brainer surely? I'd say that combined English language and literature is a must. As Chindie said, unis and employers generally hate Media Studies or whatever it's called.

Probably shouldn't tell you this, but I know some sneaky **** who just did English Language (A Level and degree) and on any subsequent CVs, application forms or whatever, put it down as English, which most people presume is the combined one. That's an option for you :winkold: .

Journalism/Media Studies are terrible courses. I hope I don't offend anyone in saying that, but journalists are not made in journalism degrees.

At the end of the degree, you qualify with an ability to write, but with nothing to write about. Stay away

I'd most certainly have to disagree with you there. My gf's sister completed a degree in Journalism two years ago and is currently working as... a Journalist. She however, is a clever lass and works damn hard, and I have a feeling she would have done well regardless of her degree. I suppose thats the most important thing really, personal motivation to do what you do.

Take the subject that you enjoy. To be fair to Media Studies, I did it at A Level and it was so easy I actually got 100% on a textual analysis exam, and 95% on another.

In my defence though snowy, the subjects I have picked, even though they are geared towards my future, are subjects that I enjoy.

Fair enough. I wasn't having a go at you, it was a bit of a general rant about the point of education.

My oldest son is doing IT, art and music and has to choose one more subject (this is for 6th form).

Psychology seems to be one of the choices, whats that all about?

Rob - At the college I'm going to (it's a sixth form as well, so it'll probably be the same) Psychology, over the 2 years, has 6 modules, plus 5 exams. These are:

Social Psychology,

Research Methods (including researching the work of psychologists like Freud),

Cognitive Psychology,

Developmental Psychology,

Physiological Psychology,

Individual Differences.

My oldest son is doing IT, art and music and has to choose one more subject (this is for 6th form).

Psychology seems to be one of the choices, whats that all about?

My younger daughter chose Spanish, English Lit, History and Psychology.

She said that Psychology was really interesting, but bloody hard - easily the heaviest work load of the four subjects. She got the AS-Level (grade B I think) and then dropped it, to take the oher three at A2.

Which gives me another chance to say that she got 3 "A"s, which means she's going to Birmingham, which means me fitting in a few VP trips! :hooray:

AC, thinking back and having had discussions over the years with all kinds of friends, O Levels/GCSEs were seen by college/uni admissions people as a test of intelligence, whereas A levels were seen as a test of how hard you work: So the key I guess is to work hard at your A levels, so try and avoid A levels that will discourage you from applying yourself.

I guess it all comes back to doing what you want to do!

Â