Chrome crashes when viewing a link to twitter

Rds1983

Question

On an android phone and using Chrome. Whenever I stumble across a post containing a link to twitter it crashes my phone whilst trying to display the link. Chrome freezes for about 5 seconds and then my phone locks. The link does then appear to work when I reopen chrome.

It doesn't happen with images, gifs or links to things like reddit but every link to twitter causes it. 

I've cleared cache and cookies but still happens.

It doesn't seem to happen on explorer (I switched to chrome due to having issues posting on explorer).

Any ideas how to fix?

• Like 1

6 answers to this question

3 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

On an android phone and using Chrome. Whenever I stumble across a post containing a link to twitter it crashes my phone whilst trying to display the link. Chrome freezes for about 5 seconds and then my phone locks. The link does then appear to work when I reopen chrome.

It doesn't happen with images, gifs or links to things like reddit but every link to twitter causes it. 

I've cleared cache and cookies but still happens.

It doesn't seem to happen on explorer (I switched to chrome due to having issues posting on explorer).

Any ideas how to fix?

Is "explorer" another browser? There was a thread here that Samsung broke things in a recent update which related to pages loading strangely.

Nothing in a browser should cause your phone to "lock" In fact, could you explain what you mean by "lock"? Do you mean you have to enter PIN / face unlock or do you mean something else?

3 minutes ago, limpid said:

Is "explorer" another browser? There was a thread here that Samsung broke things in a recent update which related to pages loading strangely.

Nothing in a browser should cause your phone to "lock" In fact, could you explain what you mean by "lock"? Do you mean you have to enter PIN / face unlock or do you mean something else?

Everything worked fine in Chrome until about 3 days ago.

After freezing for a few seconds (I cant scroll, go back or exit) the phone then goes to the lock screen and needs the pincode/biometrics to unlock back to the homescreen.

I've done virus/malware scans reports all clean.

It doesn't happen on any other site or in an app. Only seems to affect villatalk posts in Chrome with embedded links to twitter. 

I'm on a vpn if that makes any difference but never used to cause issues.

1 minute ago, Rds1983 said:

Everything worked fine in Chrome until about 3 days ago.

After freezing for a few seconds (I cant scroll, go back or exit) the phone then goes to the lock screen and needs the pincode/biometrics to unlock back to the homescreen.

I've done virus/malware scans reports all clean.

It doesn't happen on any other site or in an app. Only seems to affect villatalk posts in Chrome with embedded links to twitter. 

I'm on a vpn if that makes any difference but never used to cause issues.

Can you try without the VPN?

Nothing in a browser can activate the screen lock your phone. You're hitting a bug in Android or Chrome. It'll be interesting to see if anyone else reports the same.

Do you use any other sites that have embedded tweets? Does it happen in incognito?

3 minutes ago, limpid said:

Can you try without the VPN?

Nothing in a browser can activate the screen lock your phone. You're hitting a bug in Android or Chrome. It'll be interesting to see if anyone else reports the same.

Do you use any other sites that have embedded tweets? Does it happen in incognito?

Turning the VPN off seems to have fixed it somehow. I'll keep an eye on it.

The screen lock bit seemed like the phone was giving up and going to sleep or something. 

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

Turning the VPN off seems to have fixed it somehow. I'll keep an eye on it.

The screen lock bit seemed like the phone was giving up and going to sleep or something. 

Perhaps your VPN provider has a problem with twitter post-Musk :mrgreen:

The VPN is hooked into much lower levels of Android and can cause things that lead to screen lock. The bug is almost certainly there. Perhaps add VillaTalk to the "allowed" list on your VPN.

Please feel free to upvote / tick my response that fixed the problem. Thanks